spare power socket in headlight

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm very reluctant to cut the socket Honda provided in the headlight bucket, so has anyone found and purchased the correct mate for this connector?
 
There are 2 (red) accessory connectors on the bike. One is back by the battery on the left side in a big plastic boot. The other is in the headlight bucket, on the bottom on the right side. There are no know options that plug into them.

You can purchase connectors and pins for them. They are Sumitomo connectors. I purchased a kit of connectors and a crimping tool and pinned one up and added a power port. Sumitomo connectors are easy to work with.

There are a few sources for them. Here is the one I used: Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

The connector is the 4th one down. The 2 pin is the one you want and you need the male connector. The kit I bought and crimp tool is at the bottom of the page.

Here is a pic of the accessory connector. The red one on the bottom Buzzing Instrument Cluster
To add to the above, if you buy the crimp tool, it does not come with instructions and has multiple locations for crimping. One is used for the pin wire crimp and one is used for the insulation or weather plug crimp. I found a UK site that sells the tool that has instructions, or I can tell you what positions to use. OR, I guess you could use needle nose or whatever, but the tool does a professional crimp.

There are charts online that show proper crimps of various pins and connectors, and I found one you-tube tutorial of a Sumitomo pin crimp.
 
I've got heated grips, installed by the dealer and the red connector was still available. It's feeding a cig charger now. InHousdBob and I cut the line. No biggie.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Poppy. Oops, session expired, need to log in on your cssportal link.
 
That page is aggravating. It always says that and I don't know why. Try typing the address in your browser, or on that expired page, on the upperish right, click on the return to top or something and it will go to the logon page. You don't have to make an account, just click on a few things (like user or dealer).
 
Thread starter
Ah, got it now. Reviewed the instructions; who ever thought this heated grip acc. up really jumped the shark. Aftermarket installs are much cheaper and the installs so much easier and cleaner - it's like they wanted to make sure they didn't sell any.
 
I installed a set of Honda heated grips on the ST and man, what a pain. I think the reason is because the grips are actually in series so you have that kinda back and forth wiring.

Don't know about the CB, but my ST has setback risers and that made the left and right connection too short by 4 inches. I fixed that though, but keep in mind if anybody runs into that with the CB and a setback riser.
 
Thread starter
This little adventure had taken on a life of it's own (along with a project for the Griso); I'm being sucked down the rabbit hole of crimpers.

For the Griso project I could use a crimper for the little pins you see on automotive connections (I tend to bend the tabs over by hand then solder - crimping would certainly make the soldering bit easier). Also, for the CB project it would be nice to have crimped splicers.

But many folks sell crimp dies for ratcheting crimpers (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Crimping-...d65&tpp=1) but it does not appear that the industry has a standard for identifying the die to be used for a certain connector - or is there?

I have two brands of ratcheting pliers (forehead slap) I use on COAX cable and would really like to avoid buying more, I'd like to get just the dies. Already found out that dies from one company will not always fit the other.

The other problem, looking at a connector, I really have no idea what die to use! Anyone have a clue?
 
Rboe, for a professional type crimp dies you might try calling the guy at cycleterminal and see if he can sell or a make recommendation. His site does say to call with questions. I just used the cheapish crimper he sells.
 
The headlight one is, and I think the other one is too. I'll have to check the wiring diagram to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it is.
 
If by switched you mean does the spare only deliver power with the ignition on, the answer is yes.
 
Cycle Terminal was closed for a month, so I bought mine last month from place in Japan named Eastern Beaver (a relocated Canadian).

Link is
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-HM/sm-hm.html .

The specific part you need to fit the one in the headlight assembly is "2P090WP-HM Male, Item no. 2P090WP-HM-M, $2.95"

There is a minimum $20 order (plus $5 shipping), so I also order an extra male/female set (2P090WP-HM Set, Item no. 2P090WP-HM-Set, $4.29) plus a few other interesting things like an SAE plug/lead, some shrink tube, and a few posi-tap connectors). It arrived in 4 days.

I wired the maie 2P090WP connector to the SAE plug/lead, then plugged male into CB1100 female. I used the SAE plug end to connect to and power a EKLIPES EK1-110 usb charging system on the handlebars. In this specific install, I had to switch the wires around because EKLIPES was designed to connect direct to battery (don't understand techs, but followed vendors advise and all worked ok).
 
Thread starter
Thanks!

While trying to learn about crimping dies it turns out I have most of them that I need already. Just not the one that will do the small needle or pin type connectors.
 
Thread starter
I bought some ratcheting crimpers a while back for coax cable. Then a couple months ago I bought a die for doing larger coax SO-239 fittings and the die did not fit the TriDie crimper so I bought the kit. Two crimpers with a die, and a 6 die set, plus my BluePoint multi-tool from Snap-on that I bought 30 years ago. :D
The kit:



I need to (want to :) ) add a couple more dies for the smaller pin style connectors.
 
Thread starter
Putting all that back, I found ANOTHER die labeled OEM that looks very useful. :D
 
Back
Top