Spare Parts

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Central Ohio with all that stuff."

That's a start. :)

Cheers
 
I wouldn't be stocking up many. Chances are if and when you need something, it's a part you don't have. A simple flat tire may do you in for a while.

We have the net today, the world is almost your market. With worldwide shipping you can have most anything in a few days.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Central Ohio with all that stuff."

That's a start. :)

Cheers
Well, rats! I had most of that until last night when the party got a little out of hand. Now I'll have to find replacements.
sourdough44_imp said:
I wouldn't be stocking up many. Chances are if and when you need something, it's a part you don't have. A simple flat tire may do you in for a while.

We have the net today, the world is almost your market. With worldwide shipping you can have most anything in a few days.
You're likely right. With the spark plugs being a one of item, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a set around. I don't plan on doing my 8K service myself so instead of waiting for the dealer to get them in, it might speed things along if I already have them. It's obviously not practical to have every spare part one might need (you would have a second bike in boxes), but stuff like bulbs and spark plugs might be good to have handy if they're not common.
 
I'm old school. I have parts on hand. So does my brother.

Let me tell you a story. I put my ST in the shop for a valve check. On the day they are doing it (and would have it done) the service manager calls me up and says " you're air cleaner is filthy" so I said " well put one in it" to which he replied " we don't have one and it will take about a week to get, just wondering if you had one in your stash? " (see they know me lol) I said " Let me check, hold on...... Yes, I have one, want me to run it down?"

I always have spares on hand for all bikes..... air filters, spark plugs, oil filters, oil, front and rear brake pads.. Normal maintenance items I know I'm going to need/use. When I use one of something within a few weeks I will order a replacement which goes back in the box of spares for the next time I need it.

Then again I use my bikes nearly every day. I'd hate for one of them to be laid up for any period of time. Since I do the simple maintenance myself, it only makes sense to have a parts dept at my service right here in the garage.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I'm old school. I have parts on hand. So does my brother.

Let me tell you a story. I put my ST in the shop for a valve check. On the day they are doing it (and would have it done) the service manager calls me up and says " you're air cleaner is filthy" so I said " well put one in it" to which he replied " we don't have one and it will take about a week to get, just wondering if you had one in your stash? " (see they know me lol) I said " Let me check, hold on...... Yes, I have one, want me to run it down?"

I always have spares on hand for all bikes..... air filters, spark plugs, oil filters, oil, front and rear brake pads.. Normal maintenance items I know I'm going to need/use. When I use one of something within a few weeks I will order a replacement which goes back in the box of spares for the next time I need it.

Then again I use my bikes nearly every day. I'd hate for one of them to be laid up for any period of time. Since I do the simple maintenance myself, it only makes sense to have a parts dept at my service right here in the garage.
Exactly!
 
Hummm, Think I'll pay the parts department a visit and stock up on some stuff. I know my dealer won't have CB or ST items. See what I did there---pay the parts department. OK, never mind :)
 
Thread starter
A lot of members have replaced things like bulbs etc. I'm curious about which "common" items like bulbs or spark plugs are, in fact, not so common. If one can compile a list and then figure out who has the best price, it may save both time and money.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Ferret, I have a "Tire Bank" as well as some misc. spares ;)

:rofl: I probably should have a tire bank and if I had a lift and a changer, no doubt some would be stacked up in the corner.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Ferret, I have a "Tire Bank" as well as some misc. spares ;)

:rofl: I probably should have a tire bank and if I had a lift and a changer, no doubt some would be stacked up in the corner.
Mrs Ferret, please note that there is 193 days, 12 hours and 43 minutes (at time of posting) to Christmas.

Cheers
 
My buddy Lee, who came to the rally with me on his RC51 runs a small shop in his garage at home. He was a motorcycle mechanic since he was a young kid, a Honda MC mechanic for 20 years and a Honda car mechanic for 10 before he semi-retired. He's got a nice No-Mar tire changer. I keep my tire bank at his place. Nice to have a pal who rides and wrenches ;)
 
"tire bank" Do remember that tires have expiration dates.

I can sympathize with dealerships. Who wants to maintain an expensive inventory when customers are buying from the internet and UPS gets it the next day?
 
Me, oil filters, replacement bulbs, chain lube, and engine oil( don't ask which!)
It's a Honda!

For my Ural I have one full shelf in the garage of bits and pieces, full tool kit on bike plus spare cables, nuts and bolts, zip ties, wire, air filter, oil, flashlight and repair manual.If I'm going out f town I take more. Remember - the bike comes with a spare for a reason.
 
Back
Top