Sourcing Black Fork Tubes

cb1100_dude_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Howdy All! :biker:

I want a badazz murdered out CB cafe...
- anyone have any experience with blacking out their fork tubes or purchasing fork tube replacements?
- Is it as simple as buying same length and width but in a different but coated version?

Here's my previous cafe set-up that I might bring my bike back to. I keep changing my bike on theme :P I have probably painted my tank around 7 times now.

 
All that an no RLETS? I don't know if "badazz" is achievable without? Nice looking ride though.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I would think you could get some tubing, plastic or metal, cut to length to fit between the trees and paint them black, then simply slide them over the upper fork tubes.
 
wouldn't vinyl wrap make it nearly impossible to slide the tubes out of the trees?
 
The ferret_imp said:
wouldn't vinyl wrap make it nearly impossible to slide the tubes out of the trees?
Great question, but my follow up might be: how often does one have to slide the tubes out of the trees?
 
if you get a leaking fork seal, or want/need to change the fork oil (there is a spec for that that nobody follows). For some that means never, for others, well, we have already had several on the board with leaking fork seals and several that have changed fork oil.
 
Gotcha. I have done neither, but I'm only at 24,000 on this bike. Plus I am so slow through the turns that the forks never compress much anyway.
 
You could use a plastic sleeve cut to length. If it is too large in diameter, slit it and zip tie at top and bottom. I have used the 1.5" polyethylene tubes golfers use in their golf bags to separate the clubs on older 35mm forks.

They make them in 2" OD diameter that will easily fit over our 41mm forks. They are cheap, about $5, and you can slide them off if you need to work on the forks.

 
pekingduck_imp said:
You could use a plastic sleeve cut to length. If it is too large in diameter, slit it and zip tie at top and bottom. I have used the 1.5" polyethylene tubes golfers use in their golf bags to separate the clubs on older 35mm forks.

They make them in 2" OD diameter that will easily fit over our 41mm forks. They are cheap, about $5, and you can slide them off if you need to work on the forks.
See, that's what I was talking about. Good idea PD!
EmptySea_imp said:
Gotcha. I have done neither, but I'm only at 24,000 on this bike. Plus I am so slow through the turns that the forks never compress much anyway.

:rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
wouldn't vinyl wrap make it nearly impossible to slide the tubes out of the trees?
I reckon the owner would just slit open the wrap, dispose of it, and put a new wrapper on after the fork job is done, or maybe before the fork job is done. :dodgy:
 
Im not familiar with wrap, apparently it isnt too sticky then?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Im not familiar with wrap, apparently it isnt too sticky then?
Actually, I don't know. I am making an assumption it is some sort of heat shrink wrap, or possibly some low tack substrate.

Arguably, one could pay the owner to advertise their wears on the forks wrap (e.g. Monster Drink, Coca-Cola, Popeye's, Trojan, etc.) :)
 
Back
Top