soon to be noobie questions

nbsdave_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Have gotten the bug for an 1100.
Have not done the intro as I don't own one yet.
Spent many (way many) hours researching this bike and came away with questions.
1. does lack of 6th mean much? (some previous rides were only 5, Valkyrie, BMW R1200C, HD) Once in a while I would reach for 6th that wasn't there. My current ride, Vstrom 650 has 6 but 70+ mph is 4500+ rpm. I think that's about the same on the 1100?
2. Will it take the Florida heat? Summer temps usually in the low 90's.
4. Am open to learn the pros and cons of abs, have it now but not linked.
5. How do you get away from people, asking about the bike, without seeming rude?
I have my strom for sale and will be on the CB within 2 days of it selling. I have decided to get the red one. :)
Lack of after market stuff just means I will need to get creative, already have ideas for bags.
A typical ride for me is 100-200 miles on country roads, not a canyon carver but do like the curves, no long trips- I'm thinking the 1100 may be perfect for me.
 
6th gear - I have reached for a 6th gear at times but it's not a big deal. One the strong points of this bike is that you can run it in about any gear. It has enough power for you to be in any gear without lugging.

Fl temps - Don't know. Good question. I live in Phoenix so I'm anxious to find that out too. I'm assuming air and oil for cooling should do the trick.

ABS Linked - Don't have ABS so can't help you.

Color - I too chose red; the only color available in the U.S.

Overall - It's not a cruiser, it's not a sportbike. It's just a good all around bike that's an easy rider in the sense that it shifts smoothly etc.
P.S. - You did your homework you said so maybe this doesn't have to be said but one thing I liked about it was the weight. It's 545 lbs curb. 1140ccs is a lot of engine for 545 lbs. Weight was important to me because that's the weight limit I wanted for moving the bike around and duck-walking it out of the garage etc. (terrible bad back) For most riders, this wouldn't be an issue. For me, it is an issue and it's perfect for weight vs engine size.
 
Quote:One the strong points of this bike is that you can run it in about any gear. It has enough power for you to be in any gear without lugging.
I agree with that pretty much, but I keep reaching for another gear. The engine has an enormous amount of power and it is always there.

If you want to put a set of saddle bags on it that will be a challenge. There are not a lot of options for that.

I don't really know if all modern bikes are made as nicely as this one. Reading the shop manual I can say it is very well made and it looks like they have thought of everything you could possibly need in a bike like this. I shopped the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki V-Strom, and Triumph Tiger 800. I no doubt would have gotten the Bonneville if it had ABS, because I like the retro style. I stopped by the Honda dealer one night and there was the CB.

When I am not riding the CB1100 sometimes I just sit and look at it...it is that gorgeous. I think my wife is getting jealous. :P
 
meowguy_imp said:
Quote:One the strong points of this bike is that you can run it in about any gear. It has enough power for you to be in any gear without lugging.
I agree with that pretty much, but I keep reaching for another gear. The engine has an enormous amount of power and it is always there.

If you want to put a set of saddle bags on it that will be a challenge. There are not a lot of options for that.

I don't really know if all modern bikes are made as nicely as this one. Reading the shop manual I can say it is very well made and it looks like they have thought of everything you could possibly need in a bike like this. I shopped the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki V-Strom, and Triumph Tiger 800. I no doubt would have gotten the Bonneville if it had ABS, because I like the retro style. I stopped by the Honda dealer one night and there was the CB.

When I am not riding the CB1100 sometimes I just sit and look at it...it is that gorgeous. I think my wife is getting jealous. :P
That's how you know you've picked the right one.
 
At 60mph, I am at 3200-3300 rpm, 70 mph is approx 4000rpm.
I like the torque characteristics: Torque comes on very early and seems to be flat/predictable thru rpm range.
Suspension is OK, but definitely not on par with "modern" bikes.
I bought mine for the traditional CB's styling and am more than happy with this bike.
 
The ABS is Honda's "Combined ABS." The bike has ABS at both ends.

But Honda's Combined ABS works like this: If you grab your front brake only, you'll only get front braking (which is how a lot of us racetrack guys ride). But if you only apply the rear brake pedal, the system will give you a small amount of front braking also, to help slow the bike. I think it's designed for riders who (for whatever reason) only use the rear brake, to help shorten braking distances.

I have Combined ABS on my CB11 and my VFR12, and regular ABS on my ST13. For me, both systems are transparent, but then I never use my rear brake (except slow turns in parking lots).
 
Little different responses from me

I often "discover" after riding for a bit that I have a 5th gear (do the same thing on my ST 1300..also a 5 speed, so I guess I don"t need a 6th gear)

I see no reason with an oil cooler why Florida heat would be an issue. When I lived in Florida I had air cooled bikes and never had an issue with them. Dont get stuck in traffic in Miami and you are good to go.

I use both brakes very time I stop (never understood the value of giving up 20-30% of braking ability by using front only) and hate the complexity of servicing the linked system on my ST 1300 so I chose the non linked, non abs version of the CB 1100. Sometimes simple is good. The linked system on my ST 1300 does not work as Thumper described. On it pressing either brake lever, hand or foot activates some brakes both front and rear. There are secondary master cylinders and proportioning valves which control this. On Goldwings and STs many have had problems with their secondary master cyls, and Honda recalled them on Goldwings. I know how to use my brakes thank you very much and prefer controlling it myself.

Good color choice IMO.

The bike is perfect for the application that you described.
 
I've been riding an air cooled CB750 in Phoenix for 17 years. No problem in 100+ temps as long as you don't sit still idling for long periods. I've ridden the CB11 on a dozen 100+ days so far and haven't seen an issue. I would recommend either a synthetic oil, or shorter change intervals if using dino oil. High temps tend to break down the oil faster.

As far as gearing, I'm like Ferret. I often don't even get out of fourth unless I'll be running above 70mph for awhile. In 5th gear at 75mph I see 4200 rpms.

When it comes to people asking about the bike, you just have to get used to it. It's not your everyday bike, so there will be interest anytime it's parked. I took a weekend road trip last week and every time I stopped for gas I got questions about it.
 
I ride mine to my friend's boat/outboard repair shop where I work on boats and outboard after my real job. His customers check out the bike and tell stories of their old CB750s. Then they tell me I'm gonna get killed on that thing! ;)

When I get home, I do put a shop fan on it for a while. Only because otherwise it will heat up the garage and this time of year I don't need that.

Like Ferret, I hardly ever go into 5th. If I ever get it up on the Interstate, the story will be different.
 
Thread starter
good stuff here
so far nothing to convince me to change my mind
and I'm definitely going with the red!
my v strom is advertised, now to get it sold!
 
oldyaler_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
Quote:One the strong points of this bike is that you can run it in about any gear. It has enough power for you to be in any gear without lugging.
I agree with that pretty much, but I keep reaching for another gear. The engine has an enormous amount of power and it is always there.

If you want to put a set of saddle bags on it that will be a challenge. There are not a lot of options for that.

I don't really know if all modern bikes are made as nicely as this one. Reading the shop manual I can say it is very well made and it looks like they have thought of everything you could possibly need in a bike like this. I shopped the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki V-Strom, and Triumph Tiger 800. I no doubt would have gotten the Bonneville if it had ABS, because I like the retro style. I stopped by the Honda dealer one night and there was the CB.

When I am not riding the CB1100 sometimes I just sit and look at it...it is that gorgeous. I think my wife is getting jealous. :P
That's how you know you've picked the right one.
That's how you know you've picked the right one.

Totally am with you on it my friends, totally am with you on that :D
 
1. I reach for sixth occasionally out of habit, but it's not a big deal. At the limiter there's still a significant gap to redline, and the bike has torque to spare across the entire range.

2. I'm in the Houston area; the heat and high humidity here are legendary. So far, no problems with it, but we've yet to get into the Slightly-Warmer-Than-The-Ninth-Plane-of-Hell days that come along in August. However, I have several friends who ride large displacement Yamahas that are air-cooled and they've never had issues. The one exception, of course, is if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic. No air cooled bike is gonna do well in those circumstances. Best find a place to bail out or park it and wait a while for the traffic to move on.

3. Why you no like 3?! You mean to 3! :P

4. I don't do ABS on bikes. Ever. Don't particularly like it on cars, for that matter. In my experience it robs you of control, provided you know how to ride/drive. (Don't even get me started on traction control systems. Grrrr. Fortunately I can turn it off with a switch on my Mustang...) Personal thing, of course. Some people really like it, but none for me thanks.

5. I don't. I'm happy to chat with them. I realize you're asking tongue-in-cheek, of course. But it honestly is one the best things about the bike. My latest was a guy at a stoplight in a mini-truck next to me. Got my attention and asked me how I'd retrofitted rear discs to my old Honda... I explained that I only wish I possessed that level of mechanical skill.

As for the trip lengths, 200 miles is all you'll want to do on this one. A long Saturday ride for me is 120 miles, about a tank. Beyond that, fatigue starts to set in. If you're a younger buck than I, however, you can probably push it further. It's not a distance cruiser; I'm past that phase. But it can stretch a bit if you want to ride with cruiser friends for the day. It's not a sport bike, but you can carve corners with far greater agility than a cruiser. It's a great compromise, and that's probably the greatest compliment for this bike. It does many things "good enough." And, of course, it's drop-dead gorgeous. Good looks will get you a long way in life... or so I've been told. :D
 
ApathyCurve_imp said:
1. I reach for sixth occasionally out of habit, but it's not a big deal. At the limiter there's still a significant gap to redline, and the bike has torque to spare across the entire range.

2. I'm in the Houston area; the heat and high humidity here are legendary. So far, no problems with it, but we've yet to get into the Slightly-Warmer-Than-The-Ninth-Plane-of-Hell days that come along in August. However, I have several friends who ride large displacement Yamahas that are air-cooled and they've never had issues. The one exception, of course, is if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic. No air cooled bike is gonna do well in those circumstances. Best find a place to bail out or park it and wait a while for the traffic to move on.

3. Why you no like 3?! You mean to 3! :P

4. I don't do ABS on bikes. Ever. Don't particularly like it on cars, for that matter. In my experience it robs you of control, provided you know how to ride/drive. (Don't even get me started on traction control systems. Grrrr. Fortunately I can turn it off with a switch on my Mustang...) Personal thing, of course. Some people really like it, but none for me thanks.

5. I don't. I'm happy to chat with them. I realize you're asking tongue-in-cheek, of course. But it honestly is one the best things about the bike. My latest was a guy at a stoplight in a mini-truck next to me. Got my attention and asked me how I'd retrofitted rear discs to my old Honda... I explained that I only wish I possessed that level of mechanical skill.

As for the trip lengths, 200 miles is all you'll want to do on this one. A long Saturday ride for me is 120 miles, about a tank. Beyond that, fatigue starts to set in. If you're a younger buck than I, however, you can probably push it further. It's not a distance cruiser; I'm past that phase. But it can stretch a bit if you want to ride with cruiser friends for the day. It's not a sport bike, but you can carve corners with far greater agility than a cruiser. It's a great compromise, and that's probably the greatest compliment for this bike. It does many things "good enough." And, of course, it's drop-dead gorgeous. Good looks will get you a long way in life... or so I've been told. :D
^^^^^+1^^^^^^
 
meowguy_imp said:
Quote:One the strong points of this bike is that you can run it in about any gear. It has enough power for you to be in any gear without lugging.
I agree with that pretty much, but I keep reaching for another gear. The engine has an enormous amount of power and it is always there.

If you want to put a set of saddle bags on it that will be a challenge. There are not a lot of options for that.

I don't really know if all modern bikes are made as nicely as this one. Reading the shop manual I can say it is very well made and it looks like they have thought of everything you could possibly need in a bike like this. I shopped the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki V-Strom, and Triumph Tiger 800. I no doubt would have gotten the Bonneville if it had ABS, because I like the retro style. I stopped by the Honda dealer one night and there was the CB.

When I am not riding the CB1100 sometimes I just sit and look at it...it is that gorgeous. I think my wife is getting jealous. :P
I knew I wasn't the only one!!!! :D
 
I'm in your same situation (thinking about getting a CB1100, and live in Florida). I wouldn't worry about the heat at all, since Hondas are legendary for their reliability, and I'm sure Honda did plenty of hot weather testing on these.
 
Hi
I joined the forum yesterday after I looked at a cb. If everything works out I hope to have one soon. Many questions were answered here and look forward to reading and learning more about the cb. I started out riding back in 1978 with a cb350 and moved up the ranks with plenty of different brands but my cb750 from high school was my favorite so that is why the 1100 is so inviting to me. Stay safe.
 
You will need to get used to people being attracted to the bike. The most common question is, "What year is your Honda?"

On all other counts the CB1100 is the deal of the century.
 
ApathyCurve_imp said:
1. I reach for sixth occasionally out of habit, but it's not a big deal. At the limiter there's still a significant gap to redline, and the bike has torque to spare across the entire range.

2. I'm in the Houston area; the heat and high humidity here are legendary. So far, no problems with it, but we've yet to get into the Slightly-Warmer-Than-The-Ninth-Plane-of-Hell days that come along in August. However, I have several friends who ride large displacement Yamahas that are air-cooled and they've never had issues. The one exception, of course, is if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic. No air cooled bike is gonna do well in those circumstances. Best find a place to bail out or park it and wait a while for the traffic to move on.

3. Why you no like 3?! You mean to 3! :P

4. I don't do ABS on bikes. Ever. Don't particularly like it on cars, for that matter. In my experience it robs you of control, provided you know how to ride/drive. (Don't even get me started on traction control systems. Grrrr. Fortunately I can turn it off with a switch on my Mustang...) Personal thing, of course. Some people really like it, but none for me thanks.

5. I don't. I'm happy to chat with them. I realize you're asking tongue-in-cheek, of course. But it honestly is one the best things about the bike. My latest was a guy at a stoplight in a mini-truck next to me. Got my attention and asked me how I'd retrofitted rear discs to my old Honda... I explained that I only wish I possessed that level of mechanical skill.

As for the trip lengths, 200 miles is all you'll want to do on this one. A long Saturday ride for me is 120 miles, about a tank. Beyond that, fatigue starts to set in. If you're a younger buck than I, however, you can probably push it further. It's not a distance cruiser; I'm past that phase. But it can stretch a bit if you want to ride with cruiser friends for the day. It's not a sport bike, but you can carve corners with far greater agility than a cruiser. It's a great compromise, and that's probably the greatest compliment for this bike. It does many things "good enough." And, of course, it's drop-dead gorgeous. Good looks will get you a long way in life... or so I've been told. :D
Have to take slight issue with this...only slight. I have been on two 300 mile day rides and one 500 day (with temps in the high 80s/low 90s). Next Saturday, I will be riding around Lake Michigan with my wife and some friends. It's 1000+ miles and we have two 250+ mile days planned. While my wife on her CTX and I will be a bit less comfortable than our friends on their Wings, I am confident that we will enjoy every minute. (look for a ride report upon my return). Great bike for a variety of purposes :)
 
Don't worry about the heat, I live in Riverview FL and she seems just fine. The CB stays surprisingly cool for an air cooled machine. Since she is fuel injected, you don't have to worry about the lean factory carb jetting that caused most of the carb bikes produced in the past 10 years to run crazy hot.

Gearing is fine, shifting is pretty optional.

I like that the bike confuses most folks, they all think it is a restored CB of old...... :)
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Don't worry about the heat, I live in Riverview FL and she seems just fine. The CB stays surprisingly cool for an air cooled machine. Since she is fuel injected, you don't have to worry about the lean factory carb jetting that caused most of the carb bikes produced in the past 10 years to run crazy hot.

Gearing is fine, shifting is pretty optional.

I like that the bike confuses most folks, they all think it is a restored CB of old...... :)
Riding home at 2pm today it was 114 degrees in the shade and probably well over 120 on the freeway in the sun. At 11pm last night it was still over 100 degrees. The CB runs like a top. Forget about the heats effect on the bike, the 1100 couldn't care less. The rider will expire from heat stroke long before the CB does. Honda does extensive testing in extreem heat when designing their cars and bikes.

Chip
 
Back
Top