Soon-to-be CB1100 dlx owner with questions

808_rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Since the CB1100 was released in 2013, the bike has been at the top of my list as my next bike. My local dealer (only dealer on the island of Oahu) has never had a CB1100 in stock long enough for me to actually touch, sit on, oggle or test drive. The bikes they had received sold very quickly. This was all good as there were some features on the 2013 that was not to my liking so I was not completely sold on the CB1100 as my next bike.

When the 2014 CB100 dlx was announced, the changes to the bike made me take notice of the CB1100 once again. The new seat, six speed, silver wheels/engine are all changes that addressed what I felt was lacking on the 2013 model. However, the local dealer still has not received any of the new 2014 CB1100 dlx bikes (they have a standard but no dlx) but after extensively researching the dlx on this forum, I decided to do something I thought I would never do, purchase a bike sight unseen. So I had a talk with the sales manager of the Honda dealership and, to make a long story short, I expect to take possession of a new 2014 CB1100 dlx in a week or so.

My question is that how difficult will it be to transition from a cruiser to the CB1100 dlx? My background is that I am fairly new to motorcycle riding as I got my license four years ago. I purchased a Honda Shadow 750 Aero as my first bike and put on about 7,000 miles on the bike in the past four years (yea, not much mileage but I am a weekend rider and I live on an island where rides in excess of 150 miles rides do not happen). I was comfortable riding the Aero as my height is 5ft 8 inches and I weigh 140 lbs.

My main concern is dropping the CB1100 as the seat height of the CB1100 is much higher than the Aero. I straddled the 2014 CB1100 standard at the dealer and I was able to stand flatfoot but just barely (I had to scoot my butt to the very front of the seat - close to the tank). Also, another concern is feet position as my Aero had the typical cruiser position and the CB1100's position is more under the seat.

Anyway, your input will be greatly appreciated.
 
CB is a really easy and nice bike and I think it is a good beginner bike for a grown-up person. I´m not exactly tall and I´m careful when moving the bike and during slow pace. But you´ll get used to it quickly. It´s a different beast from a Shadow though..hard to compare these two.
 
I make that transition (cruiser, CB1100, Touring bike) several times a week. Take it easy for the first couple of days and you will be fine, just need to get to know them.
 
The CB1100 is very easy to ride once underway, the challenge is handling it at very low speed or when maneuvering it in parking lots, dead end roads, etc.

I'm not very heavy or strong so I try never to get into a situation that requires muscling the bike to stay upright. The terrain around here is almost all flat, but I'm alert to a situation where I must stop, like at an intersection, and the road is sloping away to one side or the other so much that I wouldn't be able to reach the ground on that side. It hasn't happened so far.

Not to discourage you, but a Steinway model S baby grand weighs 540 pounds, so keep this image in mind ...



Several people have dropped their new bikes, including me. It happens, but you may be one of many who haven't. BTW, 4 years is a reasonable length of time to be riding.

Good luck!
 
And I think having the foot pegs under you is a more natural position to be in control of the bike, not just sitting on top of it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for tips.

A few of the replies indicated that low speed maneuvering can be challenging with the CB1100. This was never a problem with the Shadow however I will be especially mindful of this when riding the CB1100.

Greg, as to being wary of the terrain, your tip of road slope sound logical and something I will keep in mind. With the higher seat height of the CB1100, I can see how a slight road slope can be a major issue.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
 
I got back into riding on a Shadow before buying the CB1100. The transition was good for me because the CB was a return to the style of bike I'd previously ridden. But I did find for a couple of days that I kept wanting to put my feet forward to where the Shadow's pegs were. I soon got over it though. I'd reiterate that it is heavy and a bit hard to handle at very low speeds. I particularly don't like stopping two up.

But, as soon as it's moving, it's just wonderful. You'll love it like the rest of us.
 
Personally, I think the low speed handling of the CB excellent. The low seat height of a cruiser is confidence inspiring for a novice rider but their low speed handling in parking and other tight situations is not as good generally as that of a good standard like the CB. Once you become accustomed to the CB you'll be surprised at how easy it is to handle at low speeds and how much more responsive steering inputs are.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Personally, I think the low speed handling of the CB excellent. The low seat height of a cruiser is confidence inspiring for a novice rider but their low speed handling in parking and other tight situations is not as good generally as that of a good standard like the CB. Once you become accustomed to the CB you'll be surprised at how easy it is to handle at low speeds and how much more responsive steering inputs are.
I agree with you, but I was talking about lllooww speeds, too slow to balance on two wheels. Situations where I need to move the bike under power so it doesn't make sense to get off and push it. Like in a tight turn, maybe the ground is sloped or has sand, gravel or oil such as you might find in a parking lot.

In a parking situation I like to have the front of the bike pointed out of the parking space so if possible I will find several adjacent empty spaces, pull in and make a tight turn back toward the lane. When the bars are cranked one way or the other, the stability of the bike changes; it acts much different than when the bars are straight. When this is combined with motion and walking my feet along the ground, the whole thing feels very precarious.

I've found myself in this situation even when not parking. I can't remember exactly why but it seems to happen every so often.

That is what I mean by low speed handling. I've been meaning to do a bit of research and write a post on very low speed tight turns, minimum turning radius of the CB1100 etc. and take some time to practice the moves myself.

There's a small parking lot at the top of my street which I frequently use for staying sharp at low speeds. Like starting up and immediately stopping again. Quick stops, turn/stop combos, stuff like that where I feel insecure.
 
Nicely stated, Greg and Cormanus. Not sure if it's because I nearly dropped it when brand new or what, but the situations you described are the same ones that get a visceral response from me. Tonight I turned around in a driveway, on a hill, with gravel and sharp drop-offs on either side. I felt like a dork maneuvering around like I was on the edge of a cliff. Glad I'm not alone in my phobias.
 
Hi, and welcome to the forum. First, I'd like to say kudos to you for getting 7K on your bike while living on an island. :) Second, I'm an old lady and I have no problems handling the bike. I'm coming to this bike after having ridden a Kawasaki Concours for 2 1/2 years though, and the CB1100 is 100 lbs. lighter and 1 inch shorter (seat height) than the Concours so I feel like this bike is very easy to handle. I've also ridden cruiser style bikes, and I prefer the standard bike position with my feet under my knees instead of sticking out in front of me.

As far as slow speeds, I really haven't had any issues and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Pretty much any bike, unless it's a super light sport bike, is going to feel a bit heavy if you have to horse it around your garage or parking lot. Don't worry! Just enjoy! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Personally, I think the low speed handling of the CB excellent. The low seat height of a cruiser is confidence inspiring for a novice rider but their low speed handling in parking and other tight situations is not as good generally as that of a good standard like the CB. Once you become accustomed to the CB you'll be surprised at how easy it is to handle at low speeds and how much more responsive steering inputs are.
Redbird, I can see where you are coming from when you state that low speed handling of cruisers are not as good as a standard. When I took my MSF class 4 years ago (1st time on a motorcycle), we rode a small metric standard bike. I felt fairly comfortable on that bike however when I bought my 1st bike (my 750 shadow Aero), my initial ride was a "what did I get myself into" moment. The bike felt like it just wanted to flop to its side whenever I wanted to make a slow parking-lot speed turn. With additional practice, I was able to get comfortable with the Shadow but, in looking back, I think the Shadow has a longer wheelbase than a standard bike so slow speed handling will suffer with the Shadow.

The CB1100 is a little heavier (about 50 lbs.) than my Shadow but I am hoping the shorter wheelbase of the CB1100 will make the bike easier to handle at parking lot speeds.
 
You will be fine ! Your about the same size as me. A good thing to do on any bike and I have been riding over. 40 years. Sometimes just slow up on a back road and just see how slow u can go with feet on pegs the more you do it the better you will get ! Anyone and everyone should be able to turn around on a 2 lane road without putting their feet down. Keep trying it till you can do it. If your turning left turn your head left then start your turn. Remember feet on pegs and turn your head don't look straight ahead. The more you do it you will ride so much better. The cb1100 is very nimble to me.
Michael in Mississippi
 
Did the same thing with my CB1100 dlx... bought it blind and it's my first "real" bike as I've been riding a yamaha majesty scooter prior. The CB will arrive next week.

I rented a bunch of BMWs over memorial weekend (first 650GS, then 1200RT, then 1200R) and I did fine on those bikes. I hope I didn't spoil myself by riding BMWs :(
 
The weight of the bike is not a problem at all. You will get used to it. And training and practicing will make it better. I train myself doing maneuvers on narrow streets, riding small radius circles etc. just to be confident in situation when I´ll need it.

Btw:
 
Just to add a little more to this, the CB is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and I noticed the extra weight right away, but it didn't put me off at all. Low speeds and turning at slow speeds aren't a problem. Good advice has been given on doing slow speed turns. Practice using the throttle and clutch when turning and you will be fine. You just have to be mindful of the weight and will soon get used to it.
I too try to not get into situations where I can't maneuver easily or have to muscle the bike around. I'm only 5' 8" so don't have long legs for on-seat maneuvering. I have to be careful of my footing when backing the bike into a parking spot, for example.
But none of this is something to be concerned about. Just be careful and think about what you're doing - as you should be doing anyway.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Vtr1000f lov the video :)
My nephew bought a new KTM 690 Duke and brought it over to show me. Then he offered a ride. I felt like the guy in that video. It was so tall, I couldn't reach on either side. So he held it up straight and I climbed on and put it in gear and took off. When I got back from the ride I had to bail like that guy did.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Lol ferret !! We to old to bail :)
Ridem - your avatar looks vaguely familiar. :D Thanks again. (I'm doing exercises and resting up for the actual install. I've cleared half a day for the task).

On slow speed riding, like making a U-turn on a narrow road, I usually hang the inside leg off the bike.
 
Back
Top