Someone talk me out of...

Gone in 60 said:
A V-Strom 650. 

Back to looking for a comfortable long-distance cruiser that can sit at 80mph for hours and isn't any larger than my CB1100.

V-Strom 1100?  :biker:
 
Having put about 150k combined miles on 1st gen 1000 and 1st and 2nd gen V-Stroms, I found the 650 to be far more pleasant.  While the 1000 definitely had more power, it was rougher feeling, and noticeably heavier.  And its sweet spot was at 80-90 mph.  I sold it because I was gravitating to those speeds on the freeway, and knew I'd get tickets.  

The 650 would happily hold those speeds too, but was more comfortable in the 70-75 mph zone.  1st gen bikes had better lighting, fairing protection, much more comfortable seat, and would be my preference.  Don't know how they compare to the later generations.
 
Sucks to be you, Gn60. Sounds like you need to start cleaning out the garage to make room for a newish motorcycle. :)
 
Thread starter
rdprdp01 said:
Sucks to be you, Gn60. Sounds like you need to start cleaning out the garage to make room for a newish motorcycle. :)

Ha! I've been going back and forth on the notion of adding something more touring-friendly for my long commutes, and the idea of possibly getting away for weekends and vacations. Just looking at more options, and seems the V-Strom 650 is highly regarded. 

As for making room, It would get me off my duff to clean out Mom's side golf cart garage, which is where one bike would have to go if I were to add to my collection.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
Seat hight:

V650 = 32.9"
CB1100 = 31.3"
Z650RS = 31.5 & very comfy seat!!!!
Much as I like the Z650RS, it doesn’t really have the touring vibe I’m going for.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck said:
Having put about 150k combined miles on 1st gen 1000 and 1st and 2nd gen V-Stroms, I found the 650 to be far more pleasant.  While the 1000 definitely had more power, it was rougher feeling, and noticeably heavier.  And its sweet spot was at 80-90 mph.  I sold it because I was gravitating to those speeds on the freeway, and knew I'd get tickets.  

The 650 would happily hold those speeds too, but was more comfortable in the 70-75 mph zone.  1st gen bikes had better lighting, fairing protection, much more comfortable seat, and would be my preference.  Don't know how they compare to the later generations.
Thank you for the very detailed review! That’s a lot of good information.


m in sc said:
I have nothing bad per-say to say about them, but they are pretty freaking vanilla..but reliable. if you're comfy on it, buy it.  me? id go for a 900 tracer.

In this case, vanilla is fine.
 
Thread starter
I wouldn’t mind cheap in this case. It will be a mule for commuting and taking trips where I wouldn’t be in a position to baby it as much as I do my current fleet. Not going to beat it up, but simple, reliable and comfortable are the goals.
 
As somebody who has spent quite a few miles on both a Vstrom and a Versys as a primary commuter bike, I can say that they're both amazing and excellently capable bikes, but the Versys will outperform in almost every way other than off-road capabilities. I might also mention the exhaust note being godawful on the Versys, but the Vstrom doesn't sound all that great either, so it's a moot point.

the thing is you mentioned the bike being cheap, and you will certainly usually spend less on a used Vstrom than you will on the Versys. the thing that I love about the Versys in particular, is that when you wind it up it really likes to party. It's a much more energetic bike than it might indicate to you the first time you ride it.
 
Thread starter
That is an interesting take, Mister. My limited research has found more V-Stroms at lower prices than equivalent Verysyses. Also looking at NC700s and 750s. Clearly the 700s are cheaper as they're older.
 
NC700s are nice and nimble, fun to ride around town, but the first time you run up a freeway offramp and quickly hit the rev limiter, you'llfind one of their limitations - low power.  The V-Strom passenger seat was not artificially higher than the front, meaning easier to swing a leg over, especially with a rear case.

I always had at least a rear case on my V-Stroms, and noticed that its luggage, bags and trunk, are further forward than the Versys and NC700/750X, meaning less pendulum effect. 
[attachment=809]
 

Attachments

  • Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    151.6 KB · Views: 51
Thread starter
Power would be a limiting factor of the NC700X.
I'm sure our resident NC750X fan can chime in about power and cruising speed, and we've traded messages about it. The attractive thing about this platform to me is easy to access, screw-type valve adjusters and Honda quality.
 
While true that the NC 750X is not a high horsepower bike, it is a very torquey bike, and acceleration is good. It has no trouble keeping up with freeway traffic, but you can't expect a lot of passing power at that speed. A Versys 650 or V Strom 650 will not have a lot of passing power at that speed either. All 3 have less than 70 crank hp.Adequate but not excessive. None of them were designed to be pocket racers.

I have read it only takes 34 hp to cruise at 70 mph, and many bikes making less hp than that will cruise much faster than that. My NC 750X cruises at 70 mph at 3,500 rpms.

JWMP0pm.jpg


Only will test rides tell you, which is the right bike for you, because the right bike is a combination of several factors of which hp is only one. Weight, handling, ergonomics, dealer network, reputation of reliability, as well as looks all are factors in the motorcycle buying decision process.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for giving the Honda perspective, Ferret.
As for my performance needs, I need to cruise comfortably at 80, but don't need much more than that.

Perusing FB, I'm tabbing the Versys 650, V-Strom 650 and NC750X.
I had made an offer on a 2020 manual trans NC750X months back, which was rejected by the seller. I gambled that he'd bite on the offer as the bike had been listed for quite a long time.

All good points to consider, and I thank everyone for the information!
 
What about a second CB?
 
Gone in 60 said:
A V-Strom 650. 

Back to looking for a comfortable long-distance cruiser that can sit at 80mph for hours and isn't any larger than my CB1100.

:idea: A CB1100 does fit all of these requirements.   :idea:
 
Thread starter
Yes it does, and so do my Bonneville and Interceptor. 
And, I follow YouTubers who tour on all three as well. 
But, I'm looking for more wind resistance and relaxed comfort than any of them provide, and using the new bike as a mile-mule will let me enjoy my modern classics for more recreational purposes. Plus, if I'm adding one more to the fleet, it would be nice to have a little more variety than I have now. 
MagnaRider said:
:idea: A CB1100 does fit all of these requirements.   :idea:
 
Back
Top