Somebody Needs to Turbo the CB1100

The Spaceman_imp said:
Now this is a bike!

A 315-HP Yamaha FZ1 Is Basically Unridable - Jalopnik

Kudos to the builder both for building it, and having the balls to ride the wheels off of it.
I went to high school in the '70s with a guy who turbo charged his early CB750. He had to replace the rear shocks with solid bars or the bike just bunched up and twisted on acceleration. He drag raced it but also rode it on the street with a wheelie wheel in back. His girl friend must have been pretty adventurous, as she didn't seem to mind riding on back!
 
I have been contemplating this for a while now! I have an extra header laying around and now that our computers can be flashed this might be possible as soon as I can afford such a thing it might happen.
 
7a7942b1b03966df96c023f6881a077d.jpg


Anyone remember this guy? :thumbsup:
 
Not my thing at all. I really don't see the point, just like with all those Hayabusas etc with extended swing arms you see. Why ruin a perfectly competent bike by making it unrideable?

I think the most insane bike I ever tried was the Ducati Desmoseidici. Rode one on a track, so I was able to push it pretty good. Coming off the bike, I just could not understand how something like that could be legal on the road, and that anybody with enough money could just buy one and take off on the road. Still, I wouldn't mind one in my garage, if for nothing else than to listen to it sometimes...
 
Hm. I have a welder and have done turbo headers before. Just tell your flange style and send your header over and I can make you one no problem ;) I even have stainless flanges
 
No one else finds a turbo beautiful?! Oh man, a high polish compressor with delicately bent cold side piping and a clean dumped exhaust off the hot side... Only compliments those fins. ;) oh and the extra horsepower is nice.

I get this! You already have the plumbing setup for oil, no farring gives you loads of room for the turbo, easy tuning... If my was paid off I'd love to make a kit!
 
I'd be interested to watch it happen. My thoughts are that at 9.5:1 compression, the CB does not seem too high-strung to prohibit turbo'ing, though to be super safe you might want to install head studs and possibly install a thicker than OEM metal head gasket.

Before getting that far, I think you'd need to rework the cams to call for the additional air/ fuel and exhaust expulsion. Is it possible to commission a cam to be made?

I'm no expert, but sounds like you have some solid experience in fabrication. Keep us posted on your experimentation! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
grover_imp said:
I'd be interested to watch it happen. My thoughts are that at 9.5:1 compression, the CB does not seem too high-strung to prohibit turbo'ing, though to be super safe you might want to install head studs and possibly install a thicker than OEM metal head gasket.

Before getting that far, I think you'd need to rework the cams to call for the additional air/ fuel and exhaust expulsion. Is it possible to commission a cam to be made?

I'm no expert, but sounds like you have some solid experience in fabrication. Keep us posted on your experimentation! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Due to the uniqueness of the eninge I'm willing to bet that head studs and thicker head gaskets are out of the question.

A camshaft change isn't need but you're right that it would benefit from more duration. The only thing that comes to mind is CB1300 cams. Based on the extra displacement alone I'm guessing it has a bit more lift and a bit more duration with probably a bit less overlap.

Again though, if you're only looking at a few pounds of boost (again we have no idea what this motor will hold) you can pretty much just bolt it up and it's gonna run fine with tuning.

The cool thing is this engine shares the same bottom end design as the more powerful 1300cc motor, so I know it has quite a bit to go before it feels stressed. I'm too strapped for cash to take on this project myself, but my services are offered to those who want one built! I will try to find a turbo to best fit this application in the meantime. Though my gut is saying it's probably gonna be GT15 or GT20 series.

I'm very excited to try this! Someone in the Houston area needs to show interest so I can help :)
 
Back
Top