Some questions from a prospective CB1100 buyer

Zeevo_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Long time lurker, first time poster here. If this is in the wrong section, mods can feel free to move it.
For the past few months, I have been considering selling off some toys and picking up a CB1100, and thanks to this forum I have been able to answer most of my own questions. However, at the risk of beating a dead horse, there are a couple performance related "worries" about getting one.

I have ridden older bikes (and Hondas) quite a bit, from a couple early 80s small dirtbikes, to my first street bike which was a 72 CL350 Scrambler, a few older Suzukis, and spent quite a bit of time around some 70s era Honda 4's in the 350, 550, and 750 flavors, and currently own an 81 XL500S. As is such, I am no stranger to old bikes, and this is a driving factor for wanting a CB1100 as it just looks right, and the one I sat on at a dealer felt right as well.

My current street-only ride is an 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N with the normal pipe, jet kit, aircleaner/gutted airbox, racetech fork springs, busa shock, sprocket change, and some other little bits. I personally find this bike to be very well off in the power department with 122rwhp, and handles well with michelin pilot powers. This bike would have to leave to make room for the CB.

What is drawing me to the CB is the wonderful styling, its simplicity, big aircooled motor, and more utility than my current bike, which is something I really miss from my old scrambler. It would be used as a UJM, from commuting to riding in the twisties to 2-up day/weekend trips, and from the things I have read it would be very good at these things. However, I am somewhat worried about the handling and power. The bandit in some ways has too much power (if that's possible) in that it can't be rung out without getting into the triple digits. I know the CB won't accelerate as hard, and that's fine by me, but the torque is what I am afraid I will miss a lot. So, what would a basic pipe/power commander CB be like on usable power?

On handling, I have read the CB feels nimble for its size, can anyone add to this? I'm not expecting SuperSport handling, but I don't want to feel like I've bought the wrong bike every time the road bends. Also, though the Bandit is no lightweight, I am slightly concerned about the weight for low speed maneuvering and poor roads.

Since everyone likes pictures, here are a couple of the current bikes as a reward for making it through this long post.



[url=http://s231.photobucket.com/user/zeevo110/media/219-1.jpg.html]
 
Zeevo_imp said:
Long time lurker, first time poster here. If this is in the wrong section, mods can feel free to move it.
For the past few months, I have been considering selling off some toys and picking up a CB1100, and thanks to this forum I have been able to answer most of my own questions. However, at the risk of beating a dead horse, there are a couple performance related "worries" about getting one.

I have ridden older bikes (and Hondas) quite a bit, from a couple early 80s small dirtbikes, to my first street bike which was a 72 CL350 Scrambler, a few older Suzukis, and spent quite a bit of time around some 70s era Honda 4's in the 350, 550, and 750 flavors, and currently own an 81 XL500S. As is such, I am no stranger to old bikes, and this is a driving factor for wanting a CB1100 as it just looks right, and the one I sat on at a dealer felt right as well.

My current street-only ride is an 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N with the normal pipe, jet kit, aircleaner/gutted airbox, racetech fork springs, busa shock, sprocket change, and some other little bits. I personally find this bike to be very well off in the power department with 122rwhp, and handles well with michelin pilot powers. This bike would have to leave to make room for the CB.

What is drawing me to the CB is the wonderful styling, its simplicity, big aircooled motor, and more utility than my current bike, which is something I really miss from my old scrambler. It would be used as a UJM, from commuting to riding in the twisties to 2-up day/weekend trips, and from the things I have read it would be very good at these things. However, I am somewhat worried about the handling and power. The bandit in some ways has too much power (if that's possible) in that it can't be rung out without getting into the triple digits. I know the CB won't accelerate as hard, and that's fine by me, but the torque is what I am afraid I will miss a lot. So, what would a basic pipe/power commander CB be like on usable power?

On handling, I have read the CB feels nimble for its size, can anyone add to this? I'm not expecting SuperSport handling, but I don't want to feel like I've bought the wrong bike every time the road bends. Also, though the Bandit is no lightweight, I am slightly concerned about the weight for low speed maneuvering and poor roads.

Since everyone likes pictures, here are a couple of the current bikes as a reward for making it through this long post.



[url=http://s231.photobucket.com/user/zeevo110/media/219-1.jpg.html]

Own a 2013 CB1100, have ridden a few Bandit 1200 's .

CB is better built, rarer, better looking and has more appeal.

To ride, the CB smokes the Bandit.

Better suspension, less wooden, more feedback, engine is at least as powerful in terms of what you can realistically use.

Comfort about the same, pillion will like the CB.

I wouldn't swap mine for 3 Bandit 1250s or anything else. Just buy one.
 
A buddy finally got to ride my bike yesterday; he was very surprised how light on its' feet the CB felt. Just reading the specs he had one opinion about the bike. Totally different opinion once he rode it. Another reason to test ride a bike and form your own opinion.

I've always considered my Griso to be my "sport" bike (more of a road bike) and the CB is much better in the tight twisty bits, mainly because of the narrower tires. Very flickable (not like a GSXR though!), with a longer wheel base to absorb the wash board bumps. The Griso is still superior for fast sweepers (the CB is no slouch, but out of her design element).

If a retro bike is what you are looking for this is one to get. Has the looks of the older bikes, but no carbs, tubeless tires, electronic ignition, stronger frame (better handling) - basically all of the good stuff and little if any bad stuff.

I think of her as a well done Buick; not a kitted up Z28.
 
enzo_imp said:
Good taste.........you'll love the CB1100
Good call enzo......................
I've lusted after a big-bore, twin shock Honda thumper for years. Wish like hell i had one now. :biker:
I've ridden an early Bandit albeit for 40-50 miles, not tricked out like yours Zeevo. It seemed to be a very capable ride, just lacked the Honda refinement, especially the CB1100's refinement. Obviously yours is 11 years older which accounts for some of the burliness.
The CB1100 will lack the torque and rwh of your Suzuki BUT this bike is a absolute joy to spend a day on.
Come on over to the bright side.................................and if you don't, you are welcome here nonetheless. I just want more pics of your XL! :beerchug:
 
I have found out I'm a torque junkie; the CB has plenty of torque. It will do the triple digits (not as quickly and sneakily as some bikes though) and if pushed hard will pool the blood in the back of your head. Mine did that this weekend for the first time. Had no idea she had that in her. But the motor does not beg to be wrung out and is quite happy idling along at 30. Or 45, or 55 or 75 +. Very civilized.
 
The torque curve looks a lot more like my old Honda Sabre 1100 V-Twin than an older inline 4... in other words, a lot more torque immediately down low rather than a line that closely follows the HP line...

Having said that, your Bandit is about 100 lbs lighter has more HP and roughly the same torque (if the charts I looked up were accurate) so it would outpull the CB. But in real life, the quarter mile times are not that different, and as you said so well...

"The bandit in some ways has too much power... can't be rung out without getting into the triple digits..." This is the specific reason I will never go back to a full fledged sport bike. Even in my 50's, the temptation is simply too strong.

One of the reasons that the 250 and 300 CBR and Ninjas are selling as fast as they can, or the 125 Grom, or name any other smaller displacement phenomenon, is that all reviewers seem to love being able to wring them out without worrying about getting in over their heads.

Don't get me wrong, the CB has more than enough pull to get you into trouble, but it won't get you into trouble nearly as fast as the Bandit. Further, as others have pointed out, due to the ergos and the overall vibe of the machine, you don't feel like you have to ride it fast to enjoy it.

I honestly feel like some of the early reviews were done by riders used to the latest ZX-10 or whatever with comments along the lines of "... not exactly arm-stretching acceleration but..." etc. Having ridden many big V-twins and dual sports for the past few decades, I can tell you that the CB definitely DOES stretch my arms. Just enough.

I second the notion for a test ride. Try it and you will like it. I bought mine without ever swinging a leg over one based solely on the reviews in magazines and on the posts in this forum. It has not disappointed me in any aspect.
 
Nothing wrong with a bandit. I never had one but friends have.y cb. 2014 I was playing yesterday hit 110 in 4th gear and hit 110 quick as far as looks can't be best. Handeling mine handles great. Best bike honda makes ! :)
Michael


3 rights make a left
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! It sure seems like the CB1100 is exactly what I am looking for. I'm ok with giving up some power in exchange for practicality and soul, and it seems from everyone's comments that the CB1100 will have more than enough of everything to keep me happy.

Everyone's posts are very appreciated, and it puts me much more at ease on selling off my K5 Blazer and Bandit for it. Though it may take a bit, it looks like I will be a CB1100 owner, though any more thoughts are welcome :thumbsup:

Though I may be a tad younger at 26 than many of the posters I've seen, I am wanting to slow down and enjoy things more, and I've realized how that motorcycling is about the feeling you get, not about how fast you go (though I like a bit of performance to add to the feeling ;)).

I've gotta say, this is the most cordial motorcycle forum I've seen, suppose you do meet the nicest people on a Honda. In regards to the XL, I may have to get some better pics my next day off. Enzo, yours looks to be in excellent shape, 79 model?
 
Thread starter
Ah, the striping on the tank is what threw me, I was under the assumption that most 81s had the black on the bottom with a white pinstripe. I really do like the twin shockers, with that enormous 23in front wheel. That's a great looking old bike, and beautiful country to ride it in.
 
dude I had a Z1000 and now I have the CB....sure the Z was quicker like your bandit, but I really enjoy the CB. Here is my personal pro/con list:

Pros -
cheap & super easy to maintain - dude tires are only like $130-150 a set!!
plenty of real-world power for me. I've run 7.7 in the 1/8, and I'm FAR from proficient at drag racing (and at the time I was 260lbs)
looks - goes without saying
I added a slip on, pcv and k&n, I'm at 89whp. headers would put me in the mid-90's easily
bike handles great for me, but i'm not using it to carve corners. it will do every bit of what I ask from it.

Cons -
speed limiter - I don't make it a habit to ride fast, but I like to blast down a track from time to time
not much aftermarket support yet, but seems like that is changing
resale value, I would buy used if i had to do it all over again
the seat took some getting used to, it feels very narrow at the front, but now I'm pretty used to it
insurance - I fig'd having a relatively docile standard bike would be cheap to insure....but not for me it isn't! I was shocked!
 
Find a new insurance company. After being with Progressive forever with no claims, the wanted an arm and a leg to add the CB1100. They rated it the same as the CBR1000. No amount of discussion with managers could sort the issue. So new insurance company with a rate ⅛ of Progressive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks again for the replies and link, and I like hearing lower maintenance and tire cost. I know that it is easy to be biased towards something you've dropped a lot of money on, however I wanted to hear some experiences from people that actually own one, both good and bad. I'm hoping I can find one to demo/test ride somewhere in the east TN/Western NC/SE VA area, but until then, I'm going to be relying on other's opinions and experiences and trying to read every review I can find.
 
enzo_imp said:
An 81, the last before they mounted the mono shock and made the XLR.
Nice bike and great shot, Enzo. Where's it taken?
Zeevo, I can't help on the comparison, but the CB is a lovely bike to ride and surprisingly light and agile the moment it starts moving. I bought mine after reading lots of reviews and a very brief test ride which just confirmed what I expected. I think the advice to test if you can is sound, because only you will know whether it fails to meet your expectations. Good luck. I hope you end up joining us, although I expect you'd be welcome to stick around anyway. People here are very tolerant.
 
It's a bike that makes you want to take it out at 11pm at night just for the sake of riding it and for no other purpose...I've ridden a mate's naked Bandit and it would never pass that test! (Although they are a good solid bike) I reckon a 5 min test ride will have it sorted for you either way, yea or nay.
 
Hi folks,

Hope things are good! Had 600 and 1200 Bandits also 650 and 1250 versions. All I can say is that my new CB 1100 does everything the Suzukis do, but has a much better power curve. And is better built! Both great bikes but the CB justs gets my vote.

Stay shiny side up!

Take care
 
enzo_imp said:
Cormanus, In Elliston SA.....
Great place for a trail bike ...along the dirt of the bight and the great Southern Ocean.Google Maps
Nice. I'll have to get down there on a bike some day.
 
Back
Top