Some observations on the 2017 EX ..some pics added

ride4now_imp said:
It's kind of hard to make a real comparison... one bike is nice and shiny while the other one looks like it's been ridden in the rain... a lot! Lol....
Should be, "ridden in the rain and put away wet"!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got to see the 2017 CB1100EX yesterday. My dealer got one in and sold it same day, ironically to the same guy I sold my Honda CB350F to many years ago. At least I got to look at it today. It is, as stated before by others, much better looking in person than in the pictures. The tank is still rather oddly shaped to me, but it would be hard to deny the richness of the paint. I was amazed at the number of changes to the bike and the only things left over from my bike ( the 14 dlx) would appear to be the motor and frame ( and even they may be different) and fenders. Nearly EVERYTHING else is different..wheels, forks, triple clamps, headlight, turn signals, instruments, caliper mounting, seat, taillight, side covers, exhaust, passenger peg mounting brackets, air cleaner covers. It is virtually a new model . Very nice.

I left a card with CB1100forum.com on it in his sales packet, so maybe he will stop in.

I took a bunch of comparison pics but been kind of busy and havent down loaded them yet.
What? You've got cards...

___________________

CB1100 Forum
cb1100forum.com

The ferret
Moderator
___________________
 
You sent them to us, boss. :cool:
 
Thread starter
You know how long 500 cards are going to last when you put 1 on every CB 1100 you see?
 
Thanks for the side by side pics, ferret. I really like the looks of the 17. That new tank changes a lot. I'd love to hear one running.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Thread starter
Alain, it's a Fehling rack made in Germany. I got it direct from Fehling. Very European, which means it's big enough to hold a rolled up rainsuit and not muchmore lol.
 
My 2 cents:
The paint has a lot of sparkle and it is very, very well sprayed. Consistent on all corners and same depth from anywhere you look. Unable to find fault. Surprisingly good for a factory spray. Fit and finish has gone a notch up imo.

Rear wheel has a minor wheel out of roundness from factory. Noticeable on centerstand on 2nd gear, about 2-3 mm right at the rim weld join. None on front, perfectly round.

Sound is noticeably deeper. Indeed pops and burbles with a stronger resonation between 2k-3k.
On my admittedly quiet neighbourhood I can hear my son idle and blip over a block away.

35eaee2d43ccd54ec92454f17d91b0ad.jpg~original


c5aaeace766b5fead1d68cc597f56254.jpg
 
Thread starter
good observations stockler and welcome to the forum
 
Interesting. Based on that image, the paint on the 2017 actually looks like a metal flake treatment vs the candy pearl used in the past.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
yes there are small flakes of gold in it.
 
My dealer has a 2017 on the floor. He doesn't think it will stay there very long. ALL the sales guys were drooling over it when I walked in to drop off my bike for service. I love the metal-flake paint. I have seen the bike in person before, but it looks better to me now than it did at the bike show.

Funny thing was that my dealer has a few new sales guys who don't know me yet. Two of them tag-teamed me asking me what bike I had. Once they knew, they started telling me the differences between the two bikes. I wanted to say "There's this guy, Ferret we call him, who keeps me informed on all the differences", but instead, I just said "Oh really? How nice. I don't care for spoked wheels or a 6th gear". LOL
 
Thread starter
That your salemen knows there are differences astounds me lol. Most of them are clueless. I was asounded at the number of things that are different. The more I examined the more I saw. Honda changed nearly everything. This isn't BNG ( bold new graphics) this is major changes stuff. Wish they would bring the RS in. What fun it would be to crawl all over that baby!
 
Oh **dang ferret will edit the word I want to use :D * Here I thought I wanted the Africa Twin but this new CB may take the cake.
 
Thread starter
You know next year they may just bring that RS here.
 
I got to see one in person today. I also think it looks better in person, but still on the fence with that tank. Wonder how a '14 tank would look on it.. Overall looks good but I won't be busting down the door to get one.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That your salemen knows there are differences astounds me lol. Most of them are clueless. I was asounded at the number of things that are different. The more I examined the more I saw. Honda changed nearly everything. This isn't BNG ( bold new graphics) this is major changes stuff. Wish they would bring the RS in. What fun it would be to crawl all over that baby!
No kidding! Last weekend a sales guy told me Honda quit making the CB1100 three years ago :P
 
Technically he was correct, I suppose. Probably hadn't been briefed yet on the 2017 line-up. Still, I agree with the general lack of knowledge in the mega-stores these days. The huge multi-line dealer here hadn't heard of the 2017 Van Van 200 and had to Google it while I was standing there. Where's their Suzuki sales rep?
 
Yeah ferret, I would kill for that chrome grab rail, but it isn't going on my '14 DLX without some engineering. The bolts are spaced differently on each side, at least compared to the standard the '17 was parked next to.

I like the horn installation on the '17. It is much cleaner than earlier models, if a little chrom-ey, and looks like it could be retrofitted.

I'll take the earlier tank any day.

Gus
 
The sound of the 2017 is amazing. I only wish my 2014 made the same noises. I think all vintages are beautiful bikes though. If I could get the wire spokes, LED headlamp and new exhaust on my 2014 for less than an arm and a leg, I would happily do so, but at that point I'm probably better off getting the 2017... haha.
 
Back
Top