Stichill
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?Flynrider_imp said:Interesting. When I first saw it I assumed that they must be using a massive gyro. Seems that they adapted the technology that keeps their robots from falling over. Very cool, Honda!
That said, I can't see myself paying for this feature on a motorcycle.
Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?Cormanus_imp said:Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?Flynrider_imp said:Interesting. When I first saw it I assumed that they must be using a massive gyro. Seems that they adapted the technology that keeps their robots from falling over. Very cool, Honda!
That said, I can't see myself paying for this feature on a motorcycle.

Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?curlyjoe_imp said:Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?Cormanus_imp said:Wouldn't it be a bit of fun getting the CB to follow you around the supermarket?Flynrider_imp said:Interesting. When I first saw it I assumed that they must be using a massive gyro. Seems that they adapted the technology that keeps their robots from falling over. Very cool, Honda!
That said, I can't see myself paying for this feature on a motorcycle.
I wonder if it would respond to verbal commands like "stay" and "come".

Cormanus_imp said:Wonder if that means you'll be able to set the speed, lean back and pour a coffee?
Apparently it's not quite that good—see here.
I can't wait for robot cars. I'm SO tired of having to sit like the disinterested uncle watching his nephews blow themselves up on the fourth of July.CB4ME_imp said:Received a lukewarm response from some in the press..........fearing the self driving car.
When, in the near future, will it be illegal to manually operate a motor vehicle?
My prediction? California will be the first.
We live in a golden age of sorts.
AzBob_imp said:Cormanus_imp said:Wonder if that means you'll be able to set the speed, lean back and pour a coffee?
Apparently it's not quite that good—see here.
I don't follow... the MO article doesn't say anything that I could find that says anything other than what the video shows.
I can't wait for robot cars. I'm SO tired of having to sit like the disinterested uncle watching his nephews blow themselves up on the fourth of July.CB4ME_imp said:Received a lukewarm response from some in the press..........fearing the self driving car.
When, in the near future, will it be illegal to manually operate a motor vehicle?
My prediction? California will be the first.
We live in a golden age of sorts.
People can't drive. I realized this morning on the way to work that it all started with the general availability and use of the automatic transmission. With a manual transmission (which two of my four automobiles possess, and what I was driving this morning), you have to anticipate other driver's actions because you need to be in an appropriate gear to do something about it, so you're actually paying attention or else you go nowhere. With an automatic transmission, you just go to sleep and press the gas pedal harder when you need to, usually well after realizing something bad happened (if you happen to realize at all). Then add in cell phones, automatic cruise control, automatic braking/collision avoidance, lane departure warnings and lane-keep assists, etc., we're actually in a more dangerous situation now until we get to fully-autonomous vehicles because people are paying less and less attention while the driving experience still requires frequent human input.
"Get off my lawn you darn kids!"Ben70_imp said:Actually, the advent of self driving cars was one of the things that gave me the feeling that I should get back on a bike while I still could. I haven't heard much complaining from the general public about preserving the right to drive. Ready for my old fart impersonation? When I was a kid driving was looked forward to with eager anticipation, rather than just a way to get from A to B. Seems like that is becoming outdated. Virtual reality is another gripe. Perfectly healthy people getting their thrills from watching rather than doing.
As long as it's not mandatory, I agree that some people should not be driving.
Sorry for the rant. I could use a decent ride in the country, but since it's going to rain for a week it will have to wait. Also sorry for veering off topic.
Ben

AzBob_imp said:Cormanus_imp said:Wonder if that means you'll be able to set the speed, lean back and pour a coffee?
Apparently it's not quite that good—see here.
I don't follow... the MO article doesn't say anything that I could find that says anything other than what the video shows.
I can't wait for robot cars. I'm SO tired of having to sit like the disinterested uncle watching his nephews blow themselves up on the fourth of July.CB4ME_imp said:Received a lukewarm response from some in the press..........fearing the self driving car.
When, in the near future, will it be illegal to manually operate a motor vehicle?
My prediction? California will be the first.
We live in a golden age of sorts.
People can't drive. I realized this morning on the way to work that it all started with the general availability and use of the automatic transmission. With a manual transmission (which two of my four automobiles possess, and what I was driving this morning), you have to anticipate other driver's actions because you need to be in an appropriate gear to do something about it, so you're actually paying attention or else you go nowhere. With an automatic transmission, you just go to sleep and press the gas pedal harder when you need to, usually well after realizing something bad happened (if you happen to realize at all). Then add in cell phones, automatic cruise control, automatic braking/collision avoidance, lane departure warnings and lane-keep assists, etc., we're actually in a more dangerous situation now until we get to fully-autonomous vehicles because people are paying less and less attention while the driving experience still requires frequent human input.
I can't wait for robot cars. I'm SO tired of having to sit like the disinterested uncle watching his nephews blow themselves up on the fourth of July.CB4ME_imp said:Received a lukewarm response from some in the press..........fearing the self driving car.
When, in the near future, will it be illegal to manually operate a motor vehicle?
My prediction? California will be the first.
We live in a golden age of sorts.
It's interesting that in the UK, for example, it is quite hard to find a rental car with automatic transmission. Most people continue to drive manuals. Sadly it is not so here in Australia where the American penchant for automatic transmission has prevailed. The experience of women in the UK and in Australia was, I suspect different, because most cars were smaller and not nearly so heavy as the monsters being pushed out of Detroit. The game changer for many women here was, I suspect, the ready availability of the automobile.Stichill_imp said:I was in a training class at the office about there being four generations in the workplace today. Each generation went to breakout groups and recorded their impressions of the most significant events in their lifetime (political, cultural, technological, etc.).AzBob_imp said:I don't follow... the MO article doesn't say anything that I could find that says anything other than what the video shows.Cormanus_imp said:Wonder if that means you'll be able to set the speed, lean back and pour a coffee?
Apparently it's not quite that good—see [url=http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/honda-riding-assist-technology-lets-motorcycles-balance-themselves.html]here.
I can't wait for robot cars. I'm SO tired of having to sit like the disinterested uncle watching his nephews blow themselves up on the fourth of July.CB4ME_imp said:Received a lukewarm response from some in the press..........fearing the self driving car.
When, in the near future, will it be illegal to manually operate a motor vehicle?
My prediction? California will be the first.
We live in a golden age of sorts.
People can't drive. I realized this morning on the way to work that it all started with the general availability and use of the automatic transmission. With a manual transmission (which two of my four automobiles possess, and what I was driving this morning), you have to anticipate other driver's actions because you need to be in an appropriate gear to do something about it, so you're actually paying attention or else you go nowhere. With an automatic transmission, you just go to sleep and press the gas pedal harder when you need to, usually well after realizing something bad happened (if you happen to realize at all). Then add in cell phones, automatic cruise control, automatic braking/collision avoidance, lane departure warnings and lane-keep assists, etc., we're actually in a more dangerous situation now until we get to fully-autonomous vehicles because people are paying less and less attention while the driving experience still requires frequent human input.
The Baby Boom group said that one milestone was the mainstream adoption of power steering, power brakes, and the automatic transmission allowing far more women to drive.
You should have heard the howls of indignation from the Gen X and Millennial women! They protested that many of them know how to drive a manual transmission car.
One old geezer (still working well past 65 for the benefits) calmly explained the difference between a Mazda Miata with a manual and a '52 Chevrolet with heavy manual steering, bias ply tires, manual drum brakes, and a slushy 3-speed manual with a heavy clutch pedal.
"Get off my lawn you darn kids!"Ben70_imp said:Actually, the advent of self driving cars was one of the things that gave me the feeling that I should get back on a bike while I still could. I haven't heard much complaining from the general public about preserving the right to drive. Ready for my old fart impersonation? When I was a kid driving was looked forward to with eager anticipation, rather than just a way to get from A to B. Seems like that is becoming outdated. Virtual reality is another gripe. Perfectly healthy people getting their thrills from watching rather than doing.
As long as it's not mandatory, I agree that some people should not be driving.
Sorry for the rant. I could use a decent ride in the country, but since it's going to rain for a week it will have to wait. Also sorry for veering off topic.
Ben![]()

I want that, plus with an electric motor, no gasoline.Stichill_imp said:
