Solstice Ride 2019

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
There are few rules: On (or near) the day of the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, be on the bike at sunrise, spend the day riding and exploring, and be on your bike at sunset.

Tony is my brother-in-law, a BMW GS rider, and the originator of our Solstice ride. We've done the ride every year but one since 2010. We've had as many as five other riders with us, but most years it's been just the two of us.

This year, we're heading out on Friday, June 21st at 5:15am and riding west across Illinois and into Iowa. From there, I think the plan is to head north along the Mississippi River for a piece and then return east through Wisconsin along the Wisconsin River. I don't know all the details, but this is Tony's gig to plan. We'll be someplace close to Chicago by sunset at 8:28.

If I did this correctly and if you are interested, you should be able to track our ride in close to real time here: Invalid Resource


I'll post a ride report here over the weekend, but I wanted to post this now for two reasons:

1. To invite any CB1100 rider who might be in the vicinity of our route to join us for any portion of the ride. Send me a PM with your cell number and we'll try to coordinate.
2. To encourage all of you to spend the longest day of the year doing one thing that you love. If you love to fish, fish all day. If you love to golf, golf all day. If you love to ride,.......

Look back here for my summary of the day.
 
So this afternoon I am in the garage doing final prep on two bikes and guess who pulls in the drive! MTC and his buddy. Nice to see you guys and hope you had a great ride home.

Son and I leave on a 6000 miler at 5am. Rocky Mtns here we come.
 
Well that had to be cool!

You and the boy have fun and ride safe Ole.
 
^^ +1

Checked your SpotWalla MTC. You made it home safe. Bravo. Looks like a decent sort of ride.
 
Thread starter
A very decent sort of ride. :)

Full report later.

Was glad that Ole’s garage door was open to encourage me to set aside my apprehension of dropping in unexpectedly.

3361e1e6d8d0b798896a6a2c2f5c30e3.jpg

Ole and EmptySea

8016fc09466a2a65da7383cd12d367ea.jpg

Hey Ole, you should do an SS1000 on this.

d90236689d2bd2ff79a9c1db2597d335.jpg

The man loves his Hondas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
0500

Heading out.

My original plan was to get up and going well ahead of the sunrise so I could ride to the top of Willow Hill; a good location, I thought for a sunrise photo of the CB1100 with the sun rising behind it. Unfortunately, work and other responsibilities on Thursday prevented me from prepping my bike for the day's ride. Rather than riding to Willow Hill for the photo, I was packing my gear, checking tires, and using The Ferret's "quick chain lube" technique (taught me at the Arkansas CB1100 Rally). Still, I managed to get on the road at almost exactly 5:00.

321c3afe72e3589b2d48ca06676f27a5.jpg

Note that, for purposes of improving the likelihood of returning home from motorcycle rides at the predetermined time, my CB1100's clock is set ahead by about 5 minutes. Since it is usually Cheryl that predetermines my return from ride time, setting the clock ahead tends to result in more pleasant post-ride evenings at home.

0515

Official sunrise.

I was on I-90 West heading to Belvidere, IL to rendezvous with Tony at 6:15. Since he lives about 1/2 hour south of me, we agreed to meet at the Belvidere Oasis. "Oasis" may make this sound like a beautiful park with palm trees and a pond, but in reality is what the Illinois Tollroad Authority names its gas and food travel plazas. Not very picturesque, but very convenient for motorcycle meet-ups. The sun popped into view while I was cruising along at a GPS-tracked speed of 70.45mph +/-.

I-90 from O'Hare Airport west to at least Rockford has been completely rebuilt. More lanes, better road surface, improved signage all make the "new and improved" Interstate 90 a relative pleasure on which to ride. I say "relative" because it is still a straight, flat, interstate highway, but it moves quickly and is now my favorite "get out of Dodge" route.

0a7e6559804d79cb016b6e05eed8fc80.jpg

"Sunrise: A Rider's Perspective #1"

e4020a33d65bb1a54d5a2d5756c94348.jpg

"Sunrise: A Rider's Perspective #2"

0620

Tony arrives at the Oasis.

b5a55f326f8c05635da428bed3e1a10d.jpg

He arrived on time. I was early. Neither is usual.

8c102cab42305983d9a10aad2ef11345.jpg

Warming up in the first glows of sunshine. "Oasis" is an overstatement.

Because I skipped the photo op at Willow Hill, I arrived about 15 minutes ahead of schedule -- Cheryl would have been pleased. I used the time to let the sun warm me a bit. The reported temp at my house at 5:15 was 51 degrees which is cold enough for the first day of summer, but some of the towns I was passing had temps only in the upper 40s. I had not backed my warmer gloves because, well, first day of summer.

I had already topped my tank so I waited for Tony to top his and off we went.


0628

Milestone

Somewhere near Cherry Valley and just after I-90 turns right and US20 continues west, my odometer clicked over to 20,000miles.

99b04f5eeded50cd8d137020d9a652bb.jpg

This 2013 CB1100a was purchased in July, 2017 with zero miles. It replaced my 2013 non-abs which had 30,000 miles on it. 30k in 4 years on the old bike. 20k in 2 years on the new bike. I'm liking the trend line. :)
 
Thread starter
0727

Breakfast Stop: Stockton, IL

From Chicago, the most direct way to Iowa takes you through Galena, IL and across the Mississippi into Dubuque, IA. The most direct route, I suppose, is over US20. I prefer the somewhat meandering and significantly more scenic Stagecoach Trail which you pick up off of 20 at Lena, IL and takes a more northerly line than 20 into Galena where the two roads essentially reunite. Tony had picked out a breakfast spot that is located near 20, west of the turn off at Lena, and which received good Trip Advisor reviews. US20 was the route this time.

As we blew past Lena, I noticed the new (since 2015) Lena Brewing Company where Cheryl and I stopped on our own trip to Iowa in July, 2018. These small breweries and tap rooms have been popping up all over the US for the past several years and while I am not a big beer drinker, I love the trend. Tony and I did not stop at Lena Brewing this time, mainly because we passed it at a little after 7:00am.

Stella's was a great choice. Stockton at 7:30 on a Friday morning was not exactly hopping, but there were a few customers besides us in the restaurant. Everyone was friendly and inquisitive about our trip especially after learning that of the sunrise to sunset nature of it. So engaging was the conversation that I failed to take a food photo of my fantastic house-made corned beef hash with two eggs over medium. I recommend Stella's if you ever happen to be in Stockton, IL.

Tony and I discussed concerns about a line of storms working their way east across Iowa that could negatively impact our riding plans. We decided to soldier on knowing that, if the rain moved in, we could simply hightail east and stay ahead of it most of the way home.

A quick bike-related note. Tony's GS comes with a small windscreen. My CB does not. This was clearly evidenced by comparing the number of bug splats on each of our helmets. I rode through a swarm so dense with insects that it sounded like rain hitting my helmet. Tony noticed that there were a lot of bugs, but did not experience the "bug rain" that I did. Bug rain is arguably better than rain rain, so that's at least one positive. I'm still going to keep my bike naked, but I've added swarming bug encounters to heavy rain and heavy winds on my list of times I wish a windscreen would magically rise from my handlebars.

One thing that is great about our solstice rides is that we need not be in a hurry since there is no mileage requirement. A relaxed day on two wheels with very little in the way of itinerary is just what I needed.

Our server and the two older women dining at the table next to us wished us a safe ride and off we went.

429dbc5402012f8d95615328a969f7a5.jpg

I missed the opportunity for a great foodie pic for this??

3f546e9b6109631ef7d913283ca5de1f.jpg


97df659f4c1319d31ea52b49bb5b20eb.jpg

Inside Stella's Cafe' & Catering
 
EmptySea_imp said:
0727

Breakfast Stop: Stockton, IL

From Chicago, the most direct way to Iowa takes you through Galena, IL and across the Mississippi into Dubuque, IA. The most direct route, I suppose, is over US20. I prefer the somewhat meandering and significantly more scenic Stagecoach Trail which you pick up off of 20 at Lena, IL and takes a more northerly line than 20 into Galena where the two roads essentially reunite. Tony had picked out a breakfast spot that is located near 20, west of the turn off at Lena, and which received good Trip Advisor reviews. US20 was the route this time.

As we blew past Lena, I noticed the new (since 2015) Lena Brewing Company where Cheryl and I stopped on our own trip to Iowa in July, 2018. These small breweries and tap rooms have been popping up all over the US for the past several years and while I am not a big beer drinker, I love the trend. Tony and I did not stop at Lena Brewing this time, mainly because we passed it at a little after 7:00am.

Stella's was a great choice. Stockton at 7:30 on a Friday morning was not exactly hopping, but there were a few customers besides us in the restaurant. Everyone was friendly and inquisitive about our trip especially after learning that of the sunrise to sunset nature of it. So engaging was the conversation that I failed to take a food photo of my fantastic house-made corned beef hash with two eggs over medium. I recommend Stella's if you ever happen to be in Stockton, IL.

Tony and I discussed concerns about a line of storms working their way east across Iowa that could negatively impact our riding plans. We decided to soldier on knowing that, if the rain moved in, we could simply hightail east and stay ahead of it most of the way home.

A quick bike-related note. Tony's GS comes with a small windscreen. My CB does not. This was clearly evidenced by comparing the number of bug splats on each of our helmets. I rode through a swarm so dense with insects that it sounded like rain hitting my helmet. Tony noticed that there were a lot of bugs, but did not experience the "bug rain" that I did. Bug rain is arguably better than rain rain, so that's at least one positive. I'm still going to keep my bike naked, but I've added swarming bug encounters to heavy rain and heavy winds on my list of times I wish a windscreen would magically rise from my handlebars.

One thing that is great about our solstice rides is that we need not be in a hurry since there is no mileage requirement. A relaxed day on two wheels with very little in the way of itinerary is just what I needed.

Our server and the two older women dining at the table next to us wished us a safe ride and off we went.

429dbc5402012f8d95615328a969f7a5.jpg

I missed the opportunity for a great foodie pic for this??

3f546e9b6109631ef7d913283ca5de1f.jpg


97df659f4c1319d31ea52b49bb5b20eb.jpg

Inside Stella's Cafe' & Catering
I've got one more for you....hail. When you run into it, you will be grateful that no one else will be able to hear the loud, "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" coming from your helmet. :D
 
I wonder what happens to helmetless riders in hail? I suppose it’s possible that my late mother’s adage, “Where there’s no sense there’s no feeling” come into play.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I wonder what happens to helmetless riders in hail? I suppose it’s possible that my late mother’s adage, “Where there’s no sense there’s no feeling” come into play.
Maybe for them it is some "badge" to bear?

I rode through a freeway-speed hail storm (1 pm and the sky was as black as night) in a t-shirt and shriveled into a sorry raisin that could barely hold onto the throttle. However, law required me to wear a helmet and I survived - pinching off on the nearest off ramp.
 
Thread starter
0830

The "ride" portion of "Solstice Ride" begins

We continued our trek west along US20 after breakfast. Up until this point, the route was designed for speed. Now, we truly began our descent into the Mississippi River valley. 20 becomes a little more interesting at this point, more hills more curves, but it is still a little mundane. About 15 minutes west of Stockton is the little town of Elizabeth. Elizabeth is not much more than a fork in the road with short rows of old commercial buildings lining the tines, but it reminds me of a mountain town somehow; the type one might find in Colorado. I noticed a couple of antique shops. Maybe Cheryl and I will stop and walk around here sometime.

dcdc2a3d1d68a234d0c60d66b6121a18.jpg

Welcome to Elizabeth, Illinois

Just past downtown Elizabeth, we turned right on Washignton Street in the direction of the town of Hanover and just before we arrived in Hanover, we took a very hard right turn onto arguably the coolest named road in Illinois --Blackjack Road.

Blackjack Road is more or less a farm road and it could use a repaving, but it serpentines its way beautifully down from Hanover into Galena. Blackjack's condition is probably due to a combination of record rainfalls in the area and fiscal irresponsibility statewide. I always have a problem with pavement that varies in color and texture from shiny, smooth, and black to dull, grainy, and gray. The latter sometimes looks gravel coated in contrast to the former. That combined with actual gravel, apparently used to fill cracks caused by the erratic winter and soaking wet spring, kept me alert and maybe a little tense as I lead the two of us down the road. All the same, I managed to maintain a reasonably quick pace on a road that deserves pavement worthy of its name.


93e707d55d3ab7d223f5302b5b909a57.jpg

A good shot of Tony and of contrasting pavement hues

15 miles of Blackjack and we found ourselves in Galena. Galena is a tourist and resort town with loads of great restaurants, antique stores, and other quaint shops that make a tourist town a tourist town. It can be crowded, especially in the fall when the trees finish their season in a blaze of color, but it's a beautiful town along the banks of the Mississippi.

Galena is named after a mineral that is (or was) abundant in the Mississippi valley and the Driftless Area of Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The town was originally a mining town in the early 1800s and was at one time the largest steamboat port on the Mississippi north of St. Louis. Ulysses Grant, Civil War general and the 18th President of the United State, who was born down in The Ferret's neighborhood, moved to Galena in 1860 and was among nine Civil War generals who called Galena "home". Staying in Galena can be a bit pricey, but with great dining within walking distance and great riding within minutes, it's an ideal motorcycle destination.

081fe5d2fefef05f3e8d6095fb845008.jpg

Entering Galena from Blackjack Rd.

ca61271ae769ce5c3cd9b8c8fe70baa4.jpg

Galena street view.

We rejoined US20 in Galena to carry us across the Mississippi into Iowa, The Hawkeye State.

6e88b78dbce81c6a996f881aba5a4e96.jpg

Crossing "The Big Muddy"

ca1af6c5aafd646aa1f6b3d362c79aeb.jpg


Welcome to Dubuque, Iowa. Nothing to see here. Move along.


8e22e1fef6eb3c3691db03d54727b1a4.jpg

Stopped for gas in Dubuque. Ran into a small group of riders from Minnesota doing a similar ride to ours but in the opposite direction.

After traversing the (so far as I can tell) uninteresting city of Dubuque, we hit the Iowa section of the Great River Road Scenic Byway. For the sticklers following along, we have been on the Great River Road through Dubuque and even on the Illinois portion in and around Galena, but the Dubuque portion of the road is far from scenic so this section of the byway doesn't really start until the right turn that takes you to Balltown

3000077cc66b6a9658c5c3bb0dc1ed73.jpg

Fun fact: Last year, Cheryl and I rode from Dickeyville to Balltown. Make of that what you will

There are many local road making up this section of the Great River Road: Sherrill Rd., Balltown Rd., Ridge Rd., Buena Vista Rd., County Highways C63, X56, and C9Y, and more. it's one beautiful ribbon of road from just south of Sherrill to McGregor. Beautiful views of the Mississippi Valley and Iowa farmland abound. The road winds more than it twists which suits me and my CB1100 just fine.

81c82f49291138d120ee131a9827f256.jpg


5fdfa01a1222110a3f270a69a132b580.jpg

Views from Buena Vista Road.
Mi Espanol es not so good, but I know a Buena Vista when I see it.

Speaking of Buena Vistas, when Tony sent me the route i suggested that our ride along the Iowa side of the the Mississippi deserved a stop at Pike's Peak State Park. He never responded to that particular email, but since he wanted me to lead, I can only assume that he concurred.

1045

Scenic overlook and a stretch of the legs.

There's a lot of history in Pike's Peak State Park, but by far the most interesting to me is that Peter Egan rode here from Madison, WI on a 1964 Honda C100 with a bicyclist as his riding partner.

It is a beautiful park with miles of hiking trails and a triple-deck observation platform from which you can see north and south along the Mississippi and East along the Wisconsin River. After stopping here I am even more convinced that any motorcyclist traveling the Great River Road needs to stop here for at least a few minutes. Oh, and they have motorcycle parking.

6760b2a88aecec669dccd682d9f37255.jpg

Yes, we're blocking the view

b03d35b95b9637bda3754966daa69ee7.jpg

There. That's a little better. (panorama view)

dd31ea27d2e1ce499cea37a25a6b62ee.jpg

Cloudy day, but we've stayed ahead of the rain so far.

67aad2d43c6e503e542636e0ef4c343b.jpg

Lucky shot - Pike's Peak State Park
5e3a9b761a8906510f4728fd8d7eac5c.jpg

MC parking. Pretty Cool
 
Great report, EmptySea. Either Tony’s tall or he carries a soap box for photo opportunities.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report, EmptySea. Either Tony’s tall or he carries a soap box for photo opportunities.
He’s 6’5” and I’m the one that’s usually on my soapbox; he’s pretty quiet. ;)
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wonderful shared write-up and images. Very nice capture of the hummingbird.
Thanks. And we’ve still got 9.5 hours until sundown. More to come !!
 
Geez Sea that dude makes you look, like you make me look lol. I'd hate for him to stand next to me.
 
Thread starter
Hmmm.... I never finished this report. I'm getting old and lazy, I guess. I'll wrap this one up and then post another report of a ride Cheryl and I took a few weeks ago. I'll get caught up soon!
 
Thread starter
1105

From The Great River Road....

Tony and I turned right out of Pike's Peak State Park and back on to the Great River Road which is Clayton County Route X56 at this point. It winds down very nicely for about three miles into the town of McGregor, IA. Tony and I would have enjoyed this short trip just a bit more had the nice lady in her 2007 Chrysler minivan not been compelled to drive the straight sections at 5 mph below the speed limit and even more cautiously around the turns.

McGregor is a cute little town, although its relative proximity to the banks of the Mississippi to its east and steep hills and bluffs to its west make it an ideal vessel into which the Ol' Man can pour his spring surplus.

e83422c6b6e0615f004af76c8e7f31b3.jpg

Flood waters have come up as high as the second story windows here. Last year, Cheryl and I stayed in what was once the local jail, now converted into an adorable little Airbnb.

b1bc42484225222035443dc53ce1d82a.jpg

Tony on the northern outskirts of McGregor heading north

bb7c8acabaa7965d9af3defa5b20b564.jpg

Separated from Big Muddy by two thin steel bands; our bridge back to Wisconsin in the distance.

1125
...to a great river road


Our traverse of the Mississippi for the second time this morning went very smoothly. Now we were in Wisconsin for the first time this trip and about to take a left turn off of The Great River Road and on to a great river road.

487d57c1b252614f7c56f171e627305a.jpg

618d6da823b4a4ea14f2ebc49db1bbff.jpg

Motorcycles and bridges make for easier crossings than a log raft and a pole.

Grant County in Wisconsin has a bunch of wonderful roads on which to ride, but County Trunk C from a little west of US18 running north to State Rte 133 is probably my favorite. It's not particularly curvy although there are curves. I love it because there are seldom other cars on it, it runs along (and I mean like right along) the Wisconsin River, and there are almost no crossing roads. And they repaved it this year! C would take us east by northeast away from Iowa and would be the first leg of our return to Chicagoland.


e4c525b89e18279751c0dce75cde117f.jpg

Imagine my elation upon turning onto smooth, new pavement

5f2cba8232f805cd6257b98bee514e0b.jpg

C runs very close to the river for about 3/4 of its length. It takes on a more "curvy farm road" personality for the last 1/4

085fa88c6fa592b78d657e4bf6cecbb4.jpg

Did I mention that C runs very close to the river? Pretty exhilarating to cruise along at highway speeds just a few feet from the water

WI133 is a connecting road. Not much to it, really. It runs along the river, but rarely close enough for one to see it from the road. It does run through the towns of Boscobel and Muscoda which makes it a little more entertaining in as much as it's kind of fun to say "Boscobel" and "Muscoda".

cf37669a0b61a0c24c78cadb53d6f6f0.jpg

Downtown Muscoda traffic

We had gassed up on 133 in a tiny little nearly ghost town called Woodman and discussed lunch. We were in agreement that Mt. Horeb and The Grumpy Troll should be our next stop. So we went.

________
 
Back
Top