emptysea
Road warrior
Thread starter
On June 19th, I will participate in my third Solstice Ride. The overall idea is that a person should take advantage of the longest day of the year by being out enjoying every minute of it. We think that it need not be spent on a bike. If boating was your passion, be on a boat. If hiking is your passion...well you get the idea.
The Solstice Ride was conceived by my brother-in-law and has a few simple rules: you must be on your bike at sunrise, on or near your bike all day, on your bike on sunset, and your route should return you to your starting point at the end of the day (avoid using The Ride as the first leg of a longer trip). It does not have to be on the exact date of the solstice, but it needs to be a date close enough that the daylight hours are virtually identical (within seconds) to the solstice. Also, this need not be a riding endurance event. In the past, we covered 400-500 miles over the course of the day....that means lots of off-bike time.
This year, it is possible that I will be violating one of the rules.
If you read my ride report, Tales of the Dragon, you may recall that I took a side trip to Chattanooga to visit my boy-hood friend Kelly who has been suffering with heart issues and diabetes for quite a long time. Kelly passed away yesterday and I intend to ride down to Chattanooga to attend the funeral on 6/21. I may try to combine the Solstice Ride with my first leg of my trip to Chattanooga, thus violating one of the rules...but it's not like I'm going on a vacation trip or something.
Anyhow, I will post a Solstice Ride report in this space once I return. I would love for members of this forum to plan their own Solstice Ride and enjoy the longest day of the year perched on two wheels....don't forget to take pictures!!
Matt
The Solstice Ride was conceived by my brother-in-law and has a few simple rules: you must be on your bike at sunrise, on or near your bike all day, on your bike on sunset, and your route should return you to your starting point at the end of the day (avoid using The Ride as the first leg of a longer trip). It does not have to be on the exact date of the solstice, but it needs to be a date close enough that the daylight hours are virtually identical (within seconds) to the solstice. Also, this need not be a riding endurance event. In the past, we covered 400-500 miles over the course of the day....that means lots of off-bike time.
This year, it is possible that I will be violating one of the rules.
If you read my ride report, Tales of the Dragon, you may recall that I took a side trip to Chattanooga to visit my boy-hood friend Kelly who has been suffering with heart issues and diabetes for quite a long time. Kelly passed away yesterday and I intend to ride down to Chattanooga to attend the funeral on 6/21. I may try to combine the Solstice Ride with my first leg of my trip to Chattanooga, thus violating one of the rules...but it's not like I'm going on a vacation trip or something.
Anyhow, I will post a Solstice Ride report in this space once I return. I would love for members of this forum to plan their own Solstice Ride and enjoy the longest day of the year perched on two wheels....don't forget to take pictures!!
Matt

