SOLD: 2017 CB1100 EX - $9k (Firm)

Whoops

Been there
Thread starter
I had hoped to ride this at a rally one day, but sadly that just isn't going to happen for me. I am offering the bike up here first, complete with all accessories and parts. If nobody on the forum purchases in the next 30-45 days, I would then be open to selling some of the accessories to forum members and will list the bike elsewhere in a more "stock" state after selling any parts and accessories. Those items I would sell apart from the bike at that time would be the comet fairing, OEM luggage rack, OEM chrome engine guards, Russel Day-Long seat, official service manual, Honda U-lock, completed OEM toolkit, Vizi-Tec SupaBrake-3 brake light modulator.

Current mileage is 7475. I have the clear title in hand. Bike is located in Salt Lake City, UT. I am the second owner, purchased from former forum member Clayfoot, with 910 miles in November of 2021. It looks as clean now as it did then. He purchased it new from Honda of Chattanooga in June of 2020. According to Clayfoot, it was one of the last new 2017 EX's available and he spent a considerable amount of time trying to find one by calling dealers all over the US.

New Pirelli Angel GT tires replaced the original Dunlops last year. The pictures show the Dunlops just before the tires were replaced, but the bike's aesthetic condition looks exactly the same as now, save for putting the Chic fairing and RDL seat back on. The factory battery was replaced with a MightyMax LiFePO4 battery in September 2023. It should last roughly ten years. You should never need a trickle charger, even after sitting all winter, but if you choose to do so make sure it is 12v LiFePO4 compatible. The bike has been meticulously maintained, mechanically and aesthetically. Service was performed at time and/or mileage intervals whether needed or not. Often service was done much more frequently just out of boredom and in the interest of keeping the bike pristine. Detailed printed service records are available with sale. The only thing that isn't perfect on this bike is the front brake squeal. That is a design issue though and affects pretty much every 2017 EX (except for rdprdp01's, apparently).

All original manuals (owners, riding tips, warranty) come with the bike as well as both factory Honda keys as well as the original Honda keytag code (needed to make a replacement key). Also included is an unused OEM Honda 12v Under-seat Accessory Socket which I didn't install, but instead chose to carry the Honda U-Lock (only one or the other fits under the seat). I never rode in anything but dry weather and only fed it ethanol-free gas save for 2-3 fill ups where it wasn't available. It has always been parked in a garage under a cover (Bilt Dust cover, fits perfectly, included). The bike has a Warm & Safe coaxial battery harness lead installed to run heated gear which also doubles as a battery tender lead (not really necessary with the LiFePO4 battery). I made my own tank grips/protectors from some 3M transparent silicone sheets. They are easily peeled off and will not leave any glue residue behind if you don't like them. I also added a few pieces to the RDL seat to keep me from moving around too much. They will come off without damage or residue on the RDL as well. All the original bolts and bits are labeled in plastic bags if you wish to remove the Chic fairing or luggage rack and return the bike to stock. However, you would also need to remove the Grip Puppies and the RLET's. Heaven help you if you decide to do the latter.

KQCgz4K.jpeg

rpS7eKN.jpeg

hewrJGi.jpeg

jw1CYbY.jpeg

sgIr9LS.jpeg

txPIvyp.jpeg

KkCoDSP.jpeg

6K6qid0.jpeg

WHyj0Az.jpeg

XYzXLDZ.jpeg

dotnYeY.jpeg

8MFVtGW.jpeg

l4dfkkW.jpeg

AJ62e21.jpeg

sKsH3Y7.jpeg

tk68A4w.jpeg

AyBzx4l.jpeg

wsK7yrn.jpeg

E4eNA4x.jpeg

Yzi0v79.jpeg

SrJ9LKQ.jpeg

mMSvcm9.jpeg

mQXFf4s.jpeg

WXLqg31.jpeg

hEVusjX.jpeg

49RiPKU.jpeg

ir7SPQW.jpeg
 
BEAUTIFUL motorcycle!!
Good luck with the sale.
One of our members is looking for the DLX version, but maybe he’d be interested in the EX model???
You’re only 690 miles apart, send him an email

The CB1100 Community Forum
 
That's a lovely bike, Whoops. Sorry to hear you're selling it before getting to ride it at a rally.

Good luck with the sale.
 
Ahhhh, Whoops! I hope you're selling for a positive reason. It sure does look sharp.
 
Fantastic motorcycle. I hope you will still stop by the Forum ocassionally. You are a good man, Whoops. David
 
That is a beautiful machine. I doubt it looked that good in the dealer's showroom. Great accessories, too. I hope it finds a new owner as meticulous as you. Best of luck.
 
What a magnificent motorcycle! Man, I would trade in a heartbeat. I could even legally register it in California with the mileage. If I had a buyer for my '13 right now, we'd be talking.
Good luck, someone is going to get a fantastic bike.
 
Lunchbag said:
Gone in 60 said:
I could even legally register it in California with the mileage.

I thought it's a 50-state bike so CA will register it regardless of mileage.  No?

A used vehicle coming into California needs to have a minimum of 7500 miles on the clock. Pretty sure that's to deter people from buying new cars in other states for lower prices and bringing them in.
 
Gone in 60 said:
A used vehicle coming into California needs to have a minimum of 7500 miles on the clock. Pretty sure that's to deter people from buying new cars in other states for lower prices and bringing them in.

That could lead to a very disappointing surprise.
 
Nachodaddy said:
Gone in 60 said:
A used vehicle coming into California needs to have a minimum of 7500 miles on the clock. Pretty sure that's to deter people from buying new cars in other states for lower prices and bringing them in.

That could lead to a very disappointing surprise.

No kidding. I have a friend who moved here from Missouri. He had to keep his new-ish car registered in his mom's name back home and MO plates on it until it rolled 7500 miles. If I recall, due to the much lower cost of MO registration and the general hassle of transferring, he never bothered to change it.
 
The first time I lived in CA I bought a barely-used RE Bullet 500 which was a 49-state bike at the time.  The original owner had bought it in NV and he spun the odometer past 7500 miles to register it in CA.  Another trick I recall the RE owners would use was to buy a very, very cheap timeshare.  Each person got something like a square inch of property in NV for a day, which enabled them to register the bike in NV.  Or so the legend goes.  I'm pretty sure those days are behind us now that RE are more popular and it is economical for the company to certify them as 50-state bikes.

The second time I moved to CA I was fined a penalty when I registered my car.  They said I had failed to register it within 30 days of crossing the state line.  Which was true, but I explained that my first 55 days living in the state I was on active duty (terminal leave) and that the soldiers and sailors relief act allowed me to retain FL residency during that time.  And when I left active duty I went straight to the DMV.  You can imagine how far that argument got me.  The poor clerk said sorry, there was nothing she could do.  She had to put the date I crossed the border into the computer, so the fine was unavoidable.

Sorry to detract from the main thread.  Nice looking EX!  I hope it goes to a great owner.  I'm really happy I'm not in the market because if I was, I would be scheming to fly-n-ride via the rally  :D
 
Lunchbag said:
Sorry to detract from the main thread.  Nice looking EX!  I hope it goes to a great owner.  I'm really happy I'm not in the market because if I was, I would be scheming to fly-n-ride via the rally  :D

It wouldn't be the CB1100 Forum without a distraction.
 
Mrs. and I are really trying to curb our expenses right now. We're planning a trip to Greece in October. But man is my mind swirling about upgrading to a '17...
 
Gone, your passion for detail plus spokes does not sound to me like a marriage made in heaven. :D
 
Nice looking CB!

I have bought over a dozen bikes from all over the US and imported them into CA.

If the bike was CA compliant "50 state legal", i.e. sold new in CA, the bike it can be registered used at any mileage.

If the bike was not CA compliant "49 state legal", i.e. not sold new in CA, the bike it can be registered used only if it has 7500 miles.

Canadian and other international non-EPA non-CA compliant bikes are almost impossible to register in CA. I would love to own a CB1300 or MT01, and they do show up for sale occasionally, but they simply cannot be registered for use here in CA.

Anyway, the war in Iran has for the most part killed off this hobby. Shipping has become very expensive, and it is rarely worth it to buy an out of state bike now.

How's that for thread digression?
 
If it helps, I have successfully registered two out-of-state motorcycles in CA without issue: a 2014 DLX purchased from a private seller in Minnesota in 2018 with a few hundred miles on it, and a 2017 EX purchased from an Arizona dealer in 2022 with about 100 miles.
 
discoganya said:
How's that for thread digression?

It is a perfect example of helpful digression executed beautifully: you shared wonderful, relevant data with a clever dose of wit at the end. :)

Registering a motorcycle from California in another state has its challenges too. I have visited the Texas DMV closest to my farm twice. Although everyone knows I own the motorcycle and will ultimately pay $190 to transfer the title, there are forms and steps that must be followed. I learned today that there was not enough information in the state database to pull up a “standard appraised value.” A 2017 CB1100EX falls into the category of “Custom, Vintage, or Unlisted Models” and requires a formal appraisal before the last keystroke can be made and a license plate pulled from the stack if it was not originally registered in the Lone Star State. Although the appraised value is irrelevant in my circumstance, it must nonetheless be included in the transaction record. It was very clear to me that the nice, helpful, available, and kind ladies at the DMV felt very passionate about protocol and procedure. Humbly, I asked for the proper forum and have an appointment at the Honda Dealership that is known throughout the Texas Hill Country for great service and a willingness to go the extra mile for a special motorcycle. Let’s hope the third trip will yield the desired result at the Texas DMV.

Lesson learned: buy in state whenever possible. David
 
Back
Top