So,when exactly did Honda quality go in the toilet?

FLYTYM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I was cleaning up my bike over the weekend and noticed the chrome lines coming from the oil cooler we're starting to rust. This on a bike that's been in a garage from day one,never sits outside overnight and never in the rain,and I'm in California. There was a time when Honda was the pinnacle of quality,kinda like a Sony product,not anymore. I can only imagine what bikes look like out in a salty environment.
 
This was reported a few years ago by a couple of members. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for everyone, but is something to keep an eye on.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
I was cleaning up my bike over the weekend and noticed the chrome lines coming from the oil cooler we're starting to rust. This on a bike that's been in a garage from day one,never sits outside overnight and never in the rain,and I'm in California. There was a time when Honda was the pinnacle of quality,kinda like a Sony product,not anymore. I can only imagine what bikes look like out in a salty environment.
I found some rust on some of my chrome and stainless surfaces. At the end it was not corrosion, but just stained surfaces.

Use some aluminium foil to scrub it off, and it will shine again. If you use Aluminium+winegar it works better.

Don't use scotchbrite or you will make scratches. Aluminium is a soft metal, so it won't scratch your stainless or chrome.
 
I can't attest to how well the previous owner looked after my bike but there are quite a few peeling paint areas on my 2017MY EX engine as mentioned in another post but there are also quite a few bolt heads around the calipers and such like that are not in the best of shape either. I can't believe it is just salty UK and Irish roads but must also down to some dubious material selection. Honda must maintain premium quality if they want to charge premium prices, it is what their reputation was biult on.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
A Q-tip dab of ACF-50 or similar to all bolt heads?

I think many British bike owners have been doing that.
Yes, I think once I understand the weak spots a little more attention like that is called for.
 
Tev62_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
Get some chrome polish it will come right off
That would be quite fiddely on a an allen key bolt head!
That would be quite fiddely on a an allen key bolt head!
I was replying too the original post of the chrome oil cooler lines didn't see your allen bold comment for those i use a little soft brass brush and then some maxima chain wax provides a film to keep the rust from coming back
jtopiso_imp said:
FLYTYM_imp said:
I was cleaning up my bike over the weekend and noticed the chrome lines coming from the oil cooler we're starting to rust. This on a bike that's been in a garage from day one,never sits outside overnight and never in the rain,and I'm in California. There was a time when Honda was the pinnacle of quality,kinda like a Sony product,not anymore. I can only imagine what bikes look like out in a salty environment.
I found some rust on some of my chrome and stainless surfaces. At the end it was not corrosion, but just stained surfaces.

Use some aluminium foil to scrub it off, and it will shine again. If you use Aluminium+winegar it works better.

Don't use scotchbrite or you will make scratches. Aluminium is a soft metal, so it won't scratch your stainless or chrome.
I found some rust on some of my chrome and stainless surfaces. At the end it was not corrosion, but just stained surfaces.

Use some aluminium foil to scrub it off, and it will shine again. If you use Aluminium+winegar it works better.





The owners manual recomends a scotch for the headers too match the oem finish and chrome is very hard to scratch ive even used razer blades too remove melted plastic etc

Don't use scotchbrite or you will make scratches. Aluminium is a soft metal, so it won't scratch your stainless or chrome.
 
I’ve had a few Pan Europeans and VFR750’s in the past. They all had corrosion under the fairings, mudguards etc especially on the alloy bits. I used to take the panels off every so often, clean down and spray waxoyl. At least with the CB everything is easy to see and get at. However with all the chrome and exposed alloy etc it does take extra vigilance to keep on top of things but I knew that before I got it. Living with a super model requires a bit more effort....
 
I agree with FLYTYM. My 2014 Dlx is experiencing rust more than any bike I have ever owned. I too live in S. California, and my bike is stored in the garage. It has been drizzled on only twice since I have owned it, and I wiped the water off as soon as I put the bike in the garage. I have experienced rust on the rear shock springs and shaft, handlebars, oil lines, ABS rotors, and fork tubes. The fork tubes actually started to pit. Don't get me wrong. I still love this bike and I don't mean to be critical, I am just stating the facts.
 
Maybe I'm weird, but when small bits start to corrode and can't be cleaned or polished...I just replace them with new. So much cheaper than a new bike, and keeps your ride looking showroom-fresh.
 
Funny that you mention the oil cooler lines. I've had a little surface oxidation on those tubes on just about every air/oil-cooled Honda I've owned going back years. It's nothing new. But, I hate to see oxidation or corrosion, so when I polish my header pipes, I reach through with the polish rag and give those tubes a wipe-down.

You have to figure that the front of the engine catches everything, including any moisture in the air.
 
Good stuff for rubbing corrosion off metal quickly and easily:

e9ecd6bd93e1120e93bbc46c6a0eb9e6.jpg
 
Stichill_imp said:
Good stuff for rubbing corrosion off metal quickly and easily:

e9ecd6bd93e1120e93bbc46c6a0eb9e6.jpg
I agree completely. I'm never without some.
I live squarely on the Atlantic Ocean and even though my bikes are in a garage during the summer, the salty air has its way and I have to watch for surface corrosion.
The CB hasn't had any in seven summers, but a couple of the others need attention once in a while.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Maybe I'm weird, but when small bits start to corrode and can't be cleaned or polished...I just replace them with new. So much cheaper than a new bike, and keeps your ride looking showroom-fresh.
That is exactly what I am doing with my new 2014 DLX. Sat under a tarp 6 years, and with only 201 miles, I know all the rust was from neglect. But, I am sure replacing a lot of parts. Will be a new bike when I am through, with about 350 miles on it now.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Maybe I'm weird, but when small bits start to corrode and can't be cleaned or polished...I just replace them with new. So much cheaper than a new bike, and keeps your ride looking showroom-fresh.
That is exactly what I am doing with my new 2014 DLX. Sat under a tarp 6 years, and with only 201 miles, I know all the rust was from neglect. But, I am sure replacing a lot of parts. Will be a new bike when I am through, with about 350 miles on it now.
That is exactly what I am doing with my new 2014 DLX. Sat under a tarp 6 years, and with only 201 miles, I know all the rust was from neglect. But, I am sure replacing a lot of parts. Will be a new bike when I am through, with about 350 miles on it now.
Yeah, when under a tarp it needs to "breath" to release the trapped moisture. Some motorcycle-specific covers breath, but cost a bit more.
 
Haven't had rust issues on mine. Im in Arizona where we have humidity from the monsoons. If any issues it's getting the hard water stains off the chrome. But no rust.

I haven't noticed any decline in quality from Honda. Especially the Made In Japan stuff.
 
michael1954_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Maybe I'm weird, but when small bits start to corrode and can't be cleaned or polished...I just replace them with new. So much cheaper than a new bike, and keeps your ride looking showroom-fresh.
That is exactly what I am doing with my new 2014 DLX. Sat under a tarp 6 years, and with only 201 miles, I know all the rust was from neglect. But, I am sure replacing a lot of parts. Will be a new bike when I am through, with about 350 miles on it now.
That is exactly what I am doing with my new 2014 DLX. Sat under a tarp 6 years, and with only 201 miles, I know all the rust was from neglect. But, I am sure replacing a lot of parts. Will be a new bike when I am through, with about 350 miles on it now.
The stuff you are taking off is probably better than the stuff that's ON my bike lol
 
My '13 was stored in a garage since new and when I bought it from the original owner last year it had specks of rust on the chrome bits. It sucks, but it isn't a deal breaker. I still enjoy the bike for trips around town.
 
Back
Top