so i went down today

Thread starter
Gey guys this is my first motorcycle accident I got a paper in the nail stating my insurance company finds me at 50% at fault for the accident. How the hell is that possible it say to appeal I need to pay $50, on top of the rmv is trying to suspend my license, should I get a lawyer or can anything be done about this?
 
Why would the DMV want to suspend your license? Someone passes you illegally in the rain across a double yellow and startles you and you crash. How is that your fault? I would fight that.
 
So...I'm wondering about several things here. Maybe you could block out the personal details in the letter so that I, or some other insurance professional on this forum, could see it. I'm confused by your implication that your being at fault (or not at fault, for that matter) is in some way related to the DMV wanting to suspend your license. Those seem to be two separate things, unless you damaged someone else's property and now have a financial responsibility issue or something.

Seeing exactly what the letter says might help explain what's going on.
 
Henrik_imp said:
Here in Switzerland you would have had your license suspended for at least 3 months for loss of control of your vehicle.
Wow. That sounds extreme, even by Australian standards.
 
Thread starter
"suspension is triggered by accumulating any combination of three moving violations and/or surchargeable events within a 24 month period."
this is my third "violation" however, i was not at fault for this.

here is the notice the insurance sent me.

32e42f5d68218a3acf66ebf9af953827.jpg

Henrik_imp said:
Here in Switzerland you would have had your license suspended for at least 3 months for loss of control of your vehicle.
wow, that nuts even if it isnt your fault?
 
The law here considers that if you go down without having been touched by another vehicle, then it is you that lost control of your vehicle and so is at fault. It does create some absurd situations such as you doing evasive actions to avoid being hit by another car, resulting in you lowsiding. From a legal perspective it would have been better to be hit by the other vehicle.
 
In most states, the other vehicle that causes a crash but is not struck, can still, and IMO, should be entered into or at least mentioned on the report -even if there's no specific info like registration of the vehicle- as contributing to the actual crash. This will spread the fault percentages around and give you some relief. But if the officer doesn't bother to, and many times they may not realize they are able to include the info, you're basically screwed. Some agencies allow for a report to be amended if you ask, but many do not, or there's a time limit as to when it can be done.
 
Massachusetts is a no fault state. A lady ran a Yield sign when I was on my TU250 and I had to lock up the brakes and went over the bars. No suspension. No surcharge. I can't count the number of times I have swerved away from a crazy driver. That's what we do. Sometimes they are drunk or stoned. A cop said up to 5 in 10 drivers may be impaired on legal or illegal substances at any given time and certainly on Friday and Saturday nights. Glad your injuries were not worse. I agree that you should not need a lawyer. A hearing in a small office in the DMV is what a person would have here in Massachusetts.
 
Thread starter
it pisses me off how insurance companies claim they work for you...so i sent in the appeal letter because i think this is total BS.

but here is some updates on the bikes repair

a3d121828f3b5c3fef37a09f2de3123b.jpg


6d500659d86c1ff287a4f55eab5a9e95.jpg


fb22dfff7306b0da13b27518023e6988.jpg


86f013f72010c0032afc5b77236f54d6.jpg


better pictures will come when i get the bike back, plus i have a few other things still on the way

f993180c3c4704bb78e17ebffd633998.jpg
 
Good pics, jsinher3. How are you recovering?

By the way, I hope you've got RandB's permission for that blue tank. He likes to think he has the only one in the USA. :D
 
That tank looks to be the color of the ones being shipped to Canada this year, not the dark blue that I have.
I'd like to get a better look at the damage on your original tank. I'm a but stumped as to how yours was damaged and mine was not.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good pics, jsinher3. How are you recovering?

By the way, I hope you've got RandB's permission for that blue tank. He likes to think he has the only one in the USA. :D
thanks, i am going to start physical therapy for my shoulder, knee and back soon.. but im pretty much good lol

lmao, well i also got this one so if anything ill be switching between these two until i decide which one fits the plan i have for the bike.

0a1d06230544900cfa1fbf62430dde91.jpg


21abec668f08841bc33eb90a1456f265.jpg


50262117f55321820d7bb9c7f4693126.jpg


Randy B_imp said:
That tank looks to be the color of the ones being shipped to Canada this year, not the dark blue that I have.
I'd like to get a better look at the damage on your original tank. I'm a but stumped as to how yours was damaged and mine was not.
the color of the bike is spencer blue pearl or at least thats what i told the shop. i guess then angle of when i fell and hit the floor caused my knee to dig into the side of the tank leave a dent.
 
I did a pretty good job of dislocating my left shoulder going over the bars on my SUZ TU250. Six months and I was back to 90% which was good. It healed itself with the rehab to break the freeze in the shoulder (calcification). Ouch! But it worked! So glad to hear you are feeling better. Bike plans look really good. I like the white tank.
 
Thread starter
nhawk7504_imp said:
I did a pretty good job of dislocating my left shoulder going over the bars on my SUZ TU250. Six months and I was back to 90% which was good. It healed itself with the rehab to break the freeze in the shoulder (calcification). Ouch! But it worked! So glad to hear you are feeling better. Bike plans look really good. I like the white tank.
thanks, likewise but i have yet to see the blue in person so :-s
 
That blue looks great. But, then, I reckon the white's OK too. Truth is: this bike looks pretty good no matter what the colour.
 
Back
Top