so i went down today

Glad you are okay, that is the most important thing. This is a big and powerful bike to start with for learning about rain riding. Everything has to be done super gentle in the rain. Not at all like a car.

I suggest installing P3 lights on rear and think about ST and Photon Blasters from Skene Design. Safety is the most important thing.

Now if I could just find that 100 giga watt laser to blast the tailgater, or those James Bond rockets for my motorcycle. Maybe that would be a fun project! Estes model rockets so I could react the James Bond movie!
 
Thanks Elipten for the Skene Design lights....I've been wondering about how to signal on coming traffic turning left in front of me or pulling out from a side rode...this looks like a good answer...does anyone have these installed on theirs? Yellow or white on the fronts? I thought about using my flashers or blinking my high/low beam but this would be easier.

I try to ride in dry weather so tailgaters are usually not a problem ;-), but it's the on coming traffic that worries me...had a lady pull out yesterday, wasn't even looking my way...luckily I was riding defensively but I don't think she saw me at all.
 
I have hyperlites and the Skene design lights . Skene is better and worth the money. I the yellow for photon blasters is required if want turn signal function. Brake alert feature is nice. I just installed so no street experience but I have doubt will be of value. Also install Kisan headlight modulator.

P3 on back are bright and the slight flicker works as stated. Jerry the owner is a top notch stand up man
 
I worry more and more about the cars behind me when slowing down or stopping.
Are they paying attention or just texting, this is getting worse and worse.
At a traffic light they do not move after it turns green ,still on their smart phone.
Women and girls are the worst with this.
 
Yea I got hit by two Chinese girls 20 years in the Bay Area. Glad I was in my pickup. They hit and hit and hit over and over pushing out into the traffic at an intersection. I was stopped at a red light. I finally got out, walked back, pulled the laughing girl out of the car and put it in park. When the cops came, they had money, no driving experience or lisence. Scare me as it happened a second time in the three years I lived in Mountain View CA.
 
Sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you are on the mend. A nice leather jacket might have saved a little skin. Glad you did have protective gear on. As for the bike, think how badly damaged it would have been had you not had those RLETs. The tailgater will no doubt get his (hers). We can hope.
 
Dude, glad you are ok. Motorcycle can be fixed. I never like to read about these things but always do to try to learn what happened so I can see if I can avoid something similar in the future. I hope you are healing up.
 
Thread starter
thanks guys, for the concerns and suggestions!

well i finally got the insurance to take a look and its fixable! (im still trying to figure out how i feel about that....)

but there's a problem the guy quoted me for a cbr1000.... states the bike i have is not listed in the book yet... or he cant find it..... he estimated it would be $2,657.11 but that doesnt include some of the stuff he missed like the big dent on the tank....

also being my first bike i dont know how things work in terms of shops.. do they make sure the bike is mechanically working good, can i ask to replace certain parts (exhaust, blinkers ect...) with aftermarket parts.

also since i went through the insurance can they cut me the check so i could fix it myself? (should i? i could get the shop manual.. i work on cars for part of my living i can imagine a bike being that tough to work on) my only main concern is that the motors internals are in good standing...
 
Do you owe anything on the bike? This was a deciding factor in that the shop wouldn't let me buy the parts and supply them.
 
I feel ya man hope your feeling better.
And its on the books hes just not finding it. I got hit by a deer on mine about 2 months ago and the insurance guy found it right off the bat mine wasnt half as damaged as yours and cost 3000 so something is up.
 
I feel your pain, i had a guy turn across me yesterday, I was doing 20-25mph, locked the back wheel, low-sided to the right and also did a superman slide on my belly til i came to a rest.

that sucks to hear how much it's costing to repair these things, I have insurance, but I was hoping to get having to pay less than the $500 deductible, and just get some aftermarket pegs (my right peg and brake pedal are trash) and then get the instrument housing replaced, the rest will just be character for the bike.

Does anyone have the exact price on the instrument cluster?

 
You have a 13 so that is a good start. It is MUCH cheaper to replace the housings (front and rear) instead of the entire cluster and youre looks to be in pretty good shape.

You need #9 and #8
008 CASE (UPPER)
37300-MGC-701 001 $144.78 $110.69

009 CASE (LOWER)
37400-MGC-701 001 $127.58 $97.54



And for a comparison the gauge cluster (meter in the pick list #4)

004 METER, SPEED & TACHO
37200-MGC-A21 $823.31 $624.89
And they don't sell #1 so you would need all 3 pieces if you wanted the whole meter assembly.
 
Awesome, thanks for that info. I've got to finish building my bike trailer, and then I'm going to take it in to get it checked out and make sure I didn't do any other damage that I can't see and get a quote for the insurance company.

Randy B_imp said:
You have a 13 so that is a good start. It is MUCH cheaper to replace the housings (front and rear) instead of the entire cluster and youre looks to be in pretty good shape.

You need #9 and #8
008 CASE (UPPER)
37300-MGC-701 001 $144.78 $110.69

009 CASE (LOWER)
37400-MGC-701 001 $127.58 $97.54



And for a comparison the gauge cluster (meter in the pick list #4)

004 METER, SPEED & TACHO
37200-MGC-A21 $823.31 $624.89
And they don't sell #1 so you would need all 3 pieces if you wanted the whole meter assembly.
 
They will quote you over list for the parts. I couldn't believe how much they charged the insurance company for the parts. I could have saved over $1,000 if they would have let me order the parts, but because I owe on the bike, they said I couldn't.
 
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you're OK. Don't try to do too much with that knee just yet. Could be ligament damage that rest will heal. Doing too much too soon may give you life long issues with the knee. I speak from experience. Had a crash and went down hard on pavement and slid along for a distance when I was 16. Ligament damage to both knees and one ankle. Knees have been cranky ever since, but I have been able to avoid any surgeries and I'm now 60.

In the photo I see white lines on the front tire. Was the tire(s) new? Maybe they weren't scrubbed in yet and that fact and the rain was a recipe for disaster?
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Do you owe anything on the bike? This was a deciding factor in that the shop wouldn't let me buy the parts and supply them.
i own the bike
ClassicVW_imp said:
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you're OK. Don't try to do too much with that knee just yet. Could be ligament damage that rest will heal. Doing too much too soon may give you life long issues with the knee. I speak from experience. Had a crash and went down hard on pavement and slid along for a distance when I was 16. Ligament damage to both knees and one ankle. Knees have been cranky ever since, but I have been able to avoid any surgeries and I'm now 60.

In the photo I see white lines on the front tire. Was the tire(s) new? Maybe they weren't scrubbed in yet and that fact and the rain was a recipe for disaster?
thank the knee is practically good but my shoulder is still in pain i made an appointment to check it out but it has very limited movement
 
Sorry to hear about the crashes! I had someone start to pull out from a gas station tonight, luckily I wondered if they were going to stop as they were rolling out of the parking lot so I hit them with my bright and they slammed on the brakes just in time. I've got to get me some of those running lights!
 
Back
Top