So..I bought a vintage Honda today...

VTR1000F_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
..and I´m going to pick it up in München, Germany next week. It is 400 km one way trip.

I hope for a cheap fun with this little bike, made in 1979. Also it will be a good company to my CB1100.

Did you get these in your country? Did you have one back then?



 
Very nice :thumbsup:!

Here in Germany this model is called "Güllepumpe" (pump for liquid manure) :D. Based on a comic strip about the famous "Werner"- stories.


regards
Gustav
 
We had the 500 & 650 also. If I remember right; there were three models. The standard, Silver Wing and Turbo. Nice bikes.
 
A guy at work had one of those. It looked like it spent a year at the bottom of a lake, but the damn thing got him to work every day. At least it did until he low-sided it, courtesy of dry-rotted tires, rain, and the white paint they put at intersections. After that the glamour of riding a motorcycle was lost for the guy.
 
VTR1000F_imp said:
..and I´m going to pick it up in München, Germany next week. It is 400 km one way trip.

I hope for a cheap fun with this little bike, made in 1979. Also it will be a good company to my CB1100.

Did you get these in your country? Did you have one back then?
We did. Some were very nice looking with two tone paint in metallic. The Silverwing was very good I understand. I also understand these were one of Honda's early attempts at V engines to counter the Harley sales surge. Took Honda a little while to get the V thing down...but they always like to do things their way which in the long run works best, I think.
 
Great all-around bike, a little gutless for my taste. I'd heard it was Honda's swipe at a Guzzi. Weak point is the stator -- when it fails, it's an engine-out-of-bike job. But they've got to be tough -- dispatch riders put 100's of 1000's of miles on them!
 
Thread starter
I´m aware of the bike´s german nickname Gustav :-) I´m really looking forward to the trip. Pictures and report will follow.
 
I had one of the 1982 cx500 deluxe. I hit a deer on it in 2001 and totalled it out. It was a good running bike. Shaft drive and water cooled. I had to clean trash/rust from gas tank petcock. It ran perfect after that.
This is not the actual bike I had, but it is identical to it.
58898114aaf2acabd822dc8c39e019d3.jpg
fa6b0fa2eec011bbf8e64f2fc05a7aff.jpg
f6633e2b427de510ff51deaf3fa45289.jpg
 
Never owned one myself, but my riding buddies have, so I've heard lots of discussion about the Honda CX's. One has a CX650, and two others had a Silver Wing and even a turbo 500. Reliable bikes generally, but parts availability is becoming an issue. It seems the stator problems showed up on the 650 and the turbo in particular. Turbo's are rare - the 650 especially.

~ The Bee
 
Man, I do like that style old Honda. I searched and searched for quite a while for a CX500 or 650 when I was bitten by the bug to get a classic Honda. I couldn't find anything in VG condition. I wound up getting two CBs, a '78 400 twin and a '81 900 Custom to satisfy my urge. Had a lot of fun with them but finding original or original style quality parts was cutting into the fun factor and since I'm not a mechanic, I always worried if I could find someone to work on them if something major went wrong.

Sold both and bought my '13. Just as much if not more fun without the worries.
 
Back
Top