Snowy ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Must be good to have it back, Ferret.

You could try an experiment and become the first person to see what effect RLETs have on the comfort, handling and performance of an ST1300. :P
 
Thread starter
It is Cormanus, I love my CB 1100 but when it comes to protecting the rider from the elements there is no substitute for a full fairing and adjustable windshield.

Temp was about the same yesterday and today, mid to high 30s, and it is much easier to ride for an hour or so on the ST than on the CB. I still do it on the CB, it's just more comfortable on the ST.

Conversely when summer gets here and its 85 or 90 out, the ST can be stifling hot. You have to wear cordura riding pants, or the heat will just bake your legs. Riding the CB in those conditions is like having air conditioning.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It is Cormanus, I love my CB 1100 but when it comes to protecting the rider from the elements there is no substitute for a full fairing and adjustable windshield.

Temp was about the same yesterday and today, mid to high 30s, and it is much easier to ride for an hour or so on the ST than on the CB. I still do it on the CB, it's just more comfortable on the ST.

Conversely when summer gets here and its 85 or 90 out, the ST can be stifling hot. You have to wear cordura riding pants, or the heat will just bake your legs. Riding the CB in those conditions is like having air conditioning.
Interesting comment regarding the ST. Cormanus and I are considering an ST, or an FJR, for the May rally.

As far as a side stand pivot of a CB goes - I rather try it on someone else's. :)

Cheers
 
Thread starter
wow ST or FJR tough choice. The FJ is a little sportier. Hopefully you will be able to at least sit on 1 of each before you decide. Can.t go wrong with either one really. It wont be hot enough or cold enough in May/June for it to be a consideration.
 
Yikes, Ferret! That looks mighty cold. I did my ride today wearing a jeans and a lined flannel shirt. Didn't put my gloves or jacket on until the sun went down on my way home. As a lifelong desert rat, I don't think I'd be voluntarily riding when it's that cold. I tip my helmet to you, sir!
 
Thread starter
Hey I have javie hunted in AZ in colder weather than this.( which btw was a huge surprise that it got that cold in the desert)

and it's either ride in the cold or don't ride. I choose the former
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey I have javie hunted in AZ in colder weather than this.( which btw was a huge surprise that it got that cold in the desert)

and it's either ride in the cold or don't ride. I choose the former
Here's Cormanus looking cool (chime in with hoots of laughter).
60e4950753c7ecbcfda2a71e5d44af95.jpg



This has been posted previously but I thought it fitted the thread. I will say though that here in Oz we do not get the biting cold that you can get in the States or in parts of Europe or Russia. Our coldest occurs with clear skies rather than snow or freezing fog and -10deg C would be considered toward the limit of the low range.

Cheers, 34deg C outside at the moment. Might go for a swim.
 
That brings back memories. The ride that afternoon may well be one of the best I've had. :biker:

Edit: Ferret, the ST guy obviously loves to ride. Too nerve wracking for my taste.

And ... Could you really have kept such an unsymmetrical bike as the 2013? :cool:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus..if they hadn't brought out the DLX I would still be riding my 13 although I would have had to order some different head pipes for it I'm afraid. I couldn't abide by the stock header turning almost black. I prefer the silver motor, but could live with the black. The wheels I am ambivalent on and could easily live with the black with polished rims. Could easily live with the 5 speed trans and the 3.9 fuel tank. I would have probably bought red side covers, and painted the headlight bucket red, but the 13 is a great motorcycle and I could have lived with mine forever.... If they only hadn't brought out the DLX which ticks all my boxes
 
Ah, Ferret, you're a lucky man. Your joy must be complete now it has chrome instrument covers and a red headlight bucket. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Indeed Cormanus, indeed!
 
Pulled the carb last weekend on the XR650L (Honda content :) ), looked like the low speed jet had a wee bit of crud in her. So the Grotto run on Sunday was taken with the XR, she needs the road time. Luckily she ran like a charm. But it was in the low 40's (a while back I installed the NC windscreen that was on the CB (CB1100 content :) ) on the XR and that made a nice improvement. Still, I was all bundled up, at 50-55mph one can get mighty chilled.

I think the windscreen lets the XR cut the wind a bit better too. I need to do some mileage checks with it. In the next few weeks I want to buy a cush hub and lace it up for the old gal. She'll be mostly a pavement rider so I need to save the counter shaft splines.

Going from a smooth inline four to a big thumper; ufdah!
Took off without the camera or phone so no pics; which is a shame as Bronson showed up with his 1990 Ducati Super sport, Armin had his new version; visual and motorcycle eye candy!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Must be good to have it back, Ferret.

You could try an experiment and become the first person to see what effect RLETs have on the comfort, handling and performance of an ST1300. :P
Too late! Me and Ridem put RLETS on the ST1300 I bought from him last Summer. They apparently protected me all the way from Mississippi to Virginia! :D
 
Thread starter
really? picture?
 
I can take one, but I still can't post it. Please don't hit me Cormanus :) I'll send it to Mickey by email (if you don't mind, Mickey).

As I remember, the ball end is slightly bigger and it was quite a wrestling match. Had we done a video, you guys would still be laughing!

It did take 2 people and needle nose pliers were involved. Ridem is pretty cleaver when he has to be.

Edit to add: It may be ugly. All the plastic is off, the meter panel is out, windshield off, etc. for Honda heated grip/quartet harness install. That's all done and this weekend the plastic goes back on. And Mickey, there sure are a LOT of fasteners...
 
Now, I'd help post the video. :D
 
I sent ferret a pic. He's on the road and said he couldn't get to his email until he get home.

Cormanus, I wish I had a video of that :)
 
Back
Top