Small bike for long legged rider

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, I've gotten rid of my FJR1300. It's time to downsize and just do 30 minute rides.

I'd like a bike I don't have to fold up like an accordion when I sit on it.

Other requirements/desires:

1) Inline 4
2) Sub 80 HP

Anything out there like that?
 
Since you sold your FJR, you've lost all credibility with me :D (I own a 2016 FJR and will NEVER sell it).

The CB is a decent choice but seat position is a bit scrunched. Maybe an adventure bike might suit you, though they typically aren't an I-4 setup.

You could try Motorcycle Ergonomics and punch in different makes/models you might be interested in and see how those numbers work for you.

I have a V-Strom and like the position on that bike quite a bit. Yeah, just a v-twin and the 650 might be below 80 hp, but its a neat bike.

maybe a cruiser as they have more of a chair setup...
 
Thread starter
Oops, forgot to state, no cruisers!

I had a 2014 CB1100. It was okay ergonomically, but I didn't like all the mid-range power, which took awau much of the fun of rowing through the gears. Does that make sense? I created a post on that years ago. Hence my lower horsepower specification. Actually an original Z1 or KZ900 would probably work fine for me but they're getting hard to come by.
 
postoak_imp said:
Oops, forgot to state, no cruisers!

I had a 2014 CB1100. It was okay ergonomically, but I didn't like all the mid-range power, which took awau much of the fun of rowing through the gears. Does that make sense? I created a post on that years ago. Hence my lower horsepower specification. Actually an original Z1 or KZ900 would probably work fine for me but they're getting hard to come by.
I would recommend the Suzuki 600 Bandit as an excellent all-around standard that loves to rev. Light weight, but regular sized.
postoak_imp said:
Oops, forgot to state, no cruisers!

I had a 2014 CB1100. It was okay ergonomically, but I didn't like all the mid-range power, which took awau much of the fun of rowing through the gears. Does that make sense? I created a post on that years ago. Hence my lower horsepower specification. Actually an original Z1 or KZ900 would probably work fine for me but they're getting hard to come by.
I would recommend the Suzuki 600 Bandit as an excellent all-around standard that loves to rev. Light weight, but regular sized.
 
postoak_imp said:
So, I've gotten rid of my FJR1300. It's time to downsize and just do 30 minute rides.

I'd like a bike I don't have to fold up like an accordion when I sit on it.

Other requirements/desires:

1) Inline 4
2) Sub 80 HP

Anything out there like that?
These two parameters are often incompatible. I could name some awesome small displacement bikes for tall riders with loads of leg room but theyre all singles/twins.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Oops, forgot to state, no cruisers!

I had a 2014 CB1100. It was okay ergonomically, but I didn't like all the mid-range power, which took awau much of the fun of rowing through the gears. Does that make sense? I created a post on that years ago. Hence my lower horsepower specification. Actually an original Z1 or KZ900 would probably work fine for me but they're getting hard to come by.
I would recommend the Suzuki 600 Bandit as an excellent all-around standard that loves to rev. Light weight, but regular sized.
postoak_imp said:
Oops, forgot to state, no cruisers!

I had a 2014 CB1100. It was okay ergonomically, but I didn't like all the mid-range power, which took awau much of the fun of rowing through the gears. Does that make sense? I created a post on that years ago. Hence my lower horsepower specification. Actually an original Z1 or KZ900 would probably work fine for me but they're getting hard to come by.
I would recommend the Suzuki 600 Bandit as an excellent all-around standard that loves to rev. Light weight, but regular sized.
I was thinking Bandit too, and my Bandit 1250 is for sale, but not quite sub 80 hp. Mine is pushing around 130 hp, but very nice and much more room than my CB
 
Thread starter
Yes, if I could settle for a twin then the Triumph Bonneville T120 would be a perfect choice as I've ridden one and it is made for people larger than the typical Japanese male. I may wind up going that way after looking at alternatives. I'll check out the Bandit 600.
 
The later model water cooled bandits, GSF/GSX 650F's have a the two piece height adjustable seat too..might be worth considering if your long of limb..

JT
 
Even though it does not meet your hp limit of 80, I would suggest a Triumph Tiger 1050. I had one for 5 years one and loved it but it was too tall for my short stature and I regretfully sold it. A triple, not a four but it has that wonderful combo of great midrange torque but begs to be revved out to red line. The sound of that triple at full song is awesome. I see them quite often on used bike sites and are reliable bikes if properly maintained.
 
Thread starter
Just one quick comment before I read Mickey's link. The Suzuki Bandit 600 appears to have been carburetors only and also hasn't been in production for 16 years. (?) That's another requirement -- fuel injection. I would only bend on that if I bought a CB750 or a Kawi Z1 or Z900 of the '70s.
 
I think that cycle manufactures keep forgetting about ergonomics for short or tall folks. At 65 sold the CB because of the backward knee position it had. 5’10” tall I think I am an average height American . ADV bikes are just too tall, naked bikes bend you like a pretzel, Harley cruisers have you in one position. I settled on a 2020 Triumph Speedmaster entirely for the seat height and weight.
 
Thread starter
I'm checking out all the bikes recommended here.

I forgot to mention - no black bikes (boring). Want ABS unless I get an actual retro. Do not want an engine tuned for midrange torque. (You've reached the speed limit in 1st or 2nd gear -- maybe 3rd -- and then you have 2 or 3 wasted gears.
 
postoak_imp said:
So, I've gotten rid of my FJR1300. It's time to downsize and just do 30 minute rides.

I'd like a bike I don't have to fold up like an accordion when I sit on it.

Other requirements/desires:

1) Inline 4
2) Sub 80 HP

Anything out there like that?
Not quite to your specification but the Tiger 900 GT LOW has 93HP, 3 cylinders with a very long seat to peg distance. I am thinking of getting rid of my Tiger 1200 and am looking around now with a focus on seat to peg distance. I only have a short 29" leg but my hips are not in the best of shape so I don't like that scrunched up feel either. Seat height is a reasonable 770-790mm compared to the stock bikes 820-840mm which in itself is not that bad.

The Honda CB650R is a smaller capacity four cylinder and although it is sitting at 94BHP that is only available right at the top of the rev range. I don't think it is a big seller for Honda though, it is looking for revs to get the best out of it which doesn't suit many but seems to meet your criteria.
 
I think Tev has you headed in the right direction , Triumph’s come a long way in it’s ADV format the last few years. I’ve been hearing good things about them.
 
Thread starter
I've done a lot of thinking about this and have had to drop some of my requirements. I'm going tomorrow to look at a Kawasaki K650RS. In green, it looks great, IMO. Of course it is a 2 cylinder. Power is about like my old Honda Nighthawk 750 but it weighs about 75 pounds less so should have sufficient power to please me.

Freddie Dobbs has a review of it. He's 6'1" like me and says it fits him just fine.

Kawasaki z650RS review.
 
I at 5'10" had an '03 Suzi DL1000. It was the most comfortable bike I've ever had and I only parted with it because I was moving and couldn't put two bikes in the POD. I kept the CB. I've considered getting another DL, but I want to buy a boat instead.
 
postoak_imp said:
I've done a lot of thinking about this and have had to drop some of my requirements. I'm going tomorrow to look at a Kawasaki K650RS. In green, it looks great, IMO. Of course it is a 2 cylinder. Power is about like my old Honda Nighthawk 750 but it weighs about 75 pounds less so should have sufficient power to please me.

Freddie Dobbs has a review of it. He's 6'1" like me and says it fits him just fine.

Kawasaki z650RS review.

I've found that Kawasaki's seem to have generally more leg room than other Japanese bikes. This is just a personal observation though.
 
Back
Top