Slippery new tires...its true

ozigoo

Running like a top
Thread starter
Ok so I bought new tyres today and the guy warned me that they need to be worn in as new tyres have some coating on them that protect the rubber.. I heeded his warning thinking Ill take it easy through the bends on the way home,however as I left the sidestreet from the tyre shop turning right across traffic the whole back end gave way, sliding out ,and I almost dropped the bike on its side.. I dont know how but I managed to keep it upright and going forward... Scary stuff...I didnt think I gave it excessive power, just normal pulling out across traffic...but I guess turning , leaning a little, and slippery new tyres all add up...Will be taking it extra extra easy out of the shop next time....
 
Yup, too right, apparently it's not a coating but the slippery surface when the tire leaves the mold.
here are some striking examples;

and another nice Aussie rider, same thing;

Thanks for the heads-up:thumbsup:
 
Good save, Ozigoo! I'm always really careful for the first few rides on new tires. Especially when my installer gives me a stern warning as I leave his shop...

If you follow Itchy Boots, in one of her recent videos, she has new tires installed, and rides home from the shop in the rain on them. That would increase my pucker-factor.
 
On our recent trip my friend had to get new tires at Deals Gap. We left the shop and promptly hit rain and I was worried for him. The mechanic had waved it off as bunk. Said the manufacturers wouldn't sell them that way. I had my reservations...
 
Glad you’re OK, ozigoo. Nasty experience.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
On our recent trip my friend had to get new tires at Deals Gap. We left the shop and promptly hit rain and I was worried for him. The mechanic had waved it off as bunk. Said the manufacturers wouldn't sell them that way. I had my reservations...
My son Steve got Pirelli Angel GTs installed on his Yamaha Thundercat 600cc crotch rocket but didn't get the slippery when new memo. He is a little aggressive (e.g. he's not afraid to drag his foot pegs) and crashed immediately in the Iron Pony parking lot and again later that day going around a corner. Jennifer just got those same tires and was extremely cautious for about 100 miles. She loves them now, but didn't want to repeat Steve's mistake.
 
Some years ago a friend of mine had two new tires fitted at MR in Asheville on his Suzuki 600 , they warned him about the slippery tires but still crashed it when coming out of the parking lot onto the road. Had quite a bit of damage .
 
As a bit of caution I always put 100 miles on a new set of tires before getting too aggressive. Some manufacturers use mold release and some don't I have been told, but not sure which ones do and don't, so I just take it easy for a day or two.

Interesting article

How to break in new motorcycle tyres - webBikeWorld
 
Thread starter
Yea been taking it reasonably easy through the hills today..think Ill heed the 100km warning...been doing the side to side swerving thing to get a nice scuff over as much tyre surface as I can before hammering it through the bends...Man these Angel GT's are amazing tyres ...Ill post some interesting pics over at my other 'wider tyres' thread.
 
ozigoo, if you haven’t, it’s worth reading the article Ferret linked to. The issue is not scuffing but temperature. Swerving may bring you undone.
 
Thread starter
Just read it..interesting...this guy says they needs to be 'scuffed in'...plus temp to heat up before fanging it..


And this one seems logical...scuff gradually which is what Ive been doing with what I called the 'swerving' method


Revzilla says theres no hard and fast way.....


I'll do both...scuff...and heat...both make sense to me
 
I swerve too while breaking in tires, but not drastically,(not throwing it side to side), just a gentle swerve, ride for awhile, swerve, ride for awhile. Knock on wood have not had an issue with them sliding out.

Wonder what that Fortnine guy says lol
 
I went looking on the FortNine site yesterday to see what research he might have done on new tyres, but I couldn’t see anything. Might have to find a way to ask him so we can all have a chuckle.
 
I ride pretty conservatively so I don't worry about taking it easy for the first 100 miles - I am already taking it easy! Having said that, when the Metzeler Z8s I have on now were <100 miles, I entered a hard left curve too fast. Had to apply more lean and scrapped the left peg feeler. No slipping, good traction, made it through the corner no problem. Sure made my heart speed up!

On clean dry pavement, I tend to think the 100 mile scrub in rule is more from bygone era. Modern radials are "good enough" right out of the box. Might rethink that if it was wet.
 
I've only had a quick look, Gone in 60 and will get back to it later. He doesn't address the question of 'scrubbing in' new tyres. But the rest of it, as usual is really interesting, and well presented.
 
Thread starter
I well and truely threw it into the corners today on a long ride down the coast and back...Lots of fast, tight cornering and long high speed straights....they stuck like glue...must be worn in....loving these tyres...
 
Back
Top