Sit and Fly Seat Cover

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Cheryl and I were taking a lunch break on our autumn color ride Saturday and saw two ADV bikes with matching seat covers. I didn't realize that they were slip-on covers until I spoke with the bikes' owners. I thought they were either custom seats or some new OEM seat. The covers are a plastic mesh..almost like little springs...that is designed to increase airflow and cushioning. The ADV guys informed me that they bought these covers online for about $25-$30 apiece.

I have never had a big issue with the stock seat, but I did buy a taller seat to improve my leg position. However, my rear end does get hot in the summer and a little sore after 300 miles or so in the saddle. For $30 I figured it was worth a shot.

Haven't ridden with it yet. I am planning to ride about 500 miles on Saturday and another 200 on Sunday. It's supposed to be cool both days so I may not get a fair "seat of the pants" impression, but I'll report back my findings regardless.

It's not bad looking -- I certainly like the look better than a beaded or lambskin pad.

0da8324d150861394f267fe47fc5fbd0.jpg


840e9a127bec06ca96cde4938595d9b7.jpg


d22e2db3f4de5540317dce653ab10f1a.jpg
 
interesting. Looks like a giant snakeskin sorta. Looking forward to your report Sat or Sun.
 
Hopefully helpful in the profuse bowels of summer buhtt-crack humidity. I hope the seat doesn't feel squirrely. I guess we'll find out from your upcoming report MTC.
 
Thread starter
It fits very snugly. I was worried about that. If I like it, I think I may remove the grab strap from the seat and reattach it over the new cover, but who knows. I may hate it. LOL

More on this in a few days.
 
Thread starter
Thought about the beads, but I really liked how custom-fit this looks on the bike and the cost is about the same as some of the better beaded seats. If this solution is unsatisfactory, I’ll try the beads for longer trips.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thought about the beads, but I really liked how custom-fit this looks on the bike and the cost is about the same as some of the better beaded seats. If this solution is unsatisfactory, I’ll try the beads for longer trips.
The seat pattern appears very close to a Kontour seat.
That company makes custom fired seat using a cloth web type pattern to promote air flow.
 
Thread starter
Thanks mscb. never heard of Kontour before. Yes, at least according to the pictures, the cover material is the same for both. The Sit & Fly is basically a slip-on cover though, rather than an integral part of the seat like the Kontour appears to be.
 
My buddy has one of those covers on his Wee-Strom. He loves it. It doesn't heat up when parked in the sun, keeps your bum cool whilst riding, and it channels water away from your crotch when it's raining.
 
Thread starter
FYI - the Sit & Fly only comes in a few sizes. However, the material can be cut and then custom fit to just about any size seat. They call it the Stretch, Staple, and Trim method -- you pull the fabric tightly over the seat, staple it in place from underneath (just like most stock seat covers are attached), then trim off the excess. I'm going to try this on my wife's Speedmaster and, if it works, I may use this technique for a more permanent fit on my CB1100.
 
Back
Top