Sissybar/backrest info (from sidecar pics)

ok. I just finished the back rest installation. it is very similar to cb4me's installation. I did consider mike's installation but I wanted the back rest just a little higher. I constructed it out of stainless steel plate. very secure but very difficult to cut and drill. I used carriage bolts constructed of stainless. I used a carbide bit in my dremmel tool to square up the the drill hole in the rack it makes a nice finish on the exterior. I tried to attach some pictures but I received an error that my file was too large. could anyone instruct me on how to attach the pictures?.
 
Pwyakjr

Nice job!, what thickness SS plate were you using? 304 assuming? I'm looking at a similar setup. Wife thinks she going to fall off with out a sissy bar. I like your install best so far very clean install.
thanks for sharing
D
 
Thread starter
pw, yours is the best backrest done yet. I know SS is really tough and hard to work with but your final product was well worth it. Congrats!
BH
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
pw, yours is the best backrest done yet. I know SS is really tough and hard to work with but your final product was well worth it. Congrats!
BH
Totally Agree! Exceptionally nice work. Very clean and professional looking. eautifully finished. Going to pick up some stainless steel and redo mine this winter when I have a few days. May I ask how did you bend the SS plate in 2 directions so smoothly?

Bravo! :clap:
 
I really don't know what thickness maybe 1/8? I took a piece of an old rack I had lying around and matched up the thickness. I picked up a 6x10 scrap ss plate the guy at the shop charged me 10.00. he cut up a couple of pieces but I decided no to use them, they were too small. once I had my pieces cut and drilled I then installed them on the back rest first good and tight then I installed it on the rack. then I cranked on the bolts and let them bend the ss into its final position. a few drops of Loctite and the job was done. it sounds simple but it took me most of the weekend. it took me two hrs just to buff out most of the tool marks on the plates alone. pw
 
Thread starter
pwyakjr@stny.rr.com_imp said:
I really don't know what thickness maybe 1/8? I took a piece of an old rack I had lying around and matched up the thickness. I picked up a 6x10 scrap ss plate the guy at the shop charged me 10.00. he cut up a couple of pieces but I decided no to use them, they were too small. once I had my pieces cut and drilled I then installed them on the back rest first good and tight then I installed it on the rack. then I cranked on the bolts and let them bend the ss into its final position. a few drops of Loctite and the job was done. it sounds simple but it took me most of the weekend. it took me two hrs just to buff out most of the tool marks on the plates alone. pw
Whew! I wondered about that. It sure looks great, though!
BH
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
pw, yours is the best backrest done yet. I know SS is really tough and hard to work with but your final product was well worth it. Congrats!
BH
Totally Agree! Exceptionally nice work. Very clean and professional looking. eautifully finished. Going to pick up some stainless steel and redo mine this winter when I have a few days. May I ask how did you bend the SS plate in 2 directions so smoothly?

Bravo! :clap:
Totally Agree! Exceptionally nice work. Very clean and professional looking. eautifully finished. Going to pick up some stainless steel and redo mine this winter when I have a few days. May I ask how did you bend the SS plate in 2 directions so smoothly?

Bravo! :clap:i used grade 5 ss bolts and nuts.i installed the plates to the back rest first and tightened them down, i then installed the rear bolt and nuts first and snugged them up rather tight to the rack i then installed the front bolts and nuts and would turn the left 5 turns then the right 5 turns and so on untill the plate was touching the rack all along its length. i did that so both sides bent in a similar manor. you have to use grade 5 bolts or the bolts will either break or strip out. have a couple of extras on hand just in case, i did but i did not need them. i did not use a lock washer i instead put a few drops of locktite on the nuts. the stainless steel was difficult to cut and drill. the rack holes were 5/16 and were not a problem at all. the back rest holes were either 3/8 or 1/2 and they were a cuss. i did use a step drill bit for the first couple of holes but burned it up (i was using oil as a lubricant). the larger the hole the more difficult it became. the holes in the rack i used a dremmel bit made of titanium to square the hole for the carriage bolts, it worked well. thanks cb4me for supplying me with the idea. i had a picture of your set up on my bench as i worked.
 
Those Jardine mounting holes and mounting bolts are 10mm or 0.40".

I was able to use a 3/8" drill bit and then a round rasp to make appropriate sized holes on my ALUMINUM mounting bracket. Different proposition when using stainless.

Where do folks find metric drill bits in the local marketplace? Haven't found them at Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc.
 
I used only sae drill bits. I was able to get it close enough. remember the dremmel titanium grinding bit it was a big help. it wasn't cheap 14.00 from true value hardware.
 
Back
Top