Side-to-side play in throttle grip

pechorin75_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just picked up my new-to-me '13. Really love the bike so far--it's so smooth!

Anyway, that said, I noticed something I've never encountered on any other bike I've ridden. The right-hand (throttle) grip has "play" from side to side. I didn't measure it, but you can move the whole grip maybe 2-3mm in and out (i.e., away/toward the center of the bike).

I found this a bit odd, and not really to my liking. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, is there a fix for it? Ran some searches on the forum and have only found references to normal (radial) throttle play.
 
There are clearances in the throttle housing, if there weren't it could hang up and leave the throttle on. It is normal. If you took the rh switch housing apart you'd see the channel the throttle tube flange runs in is wider than the flange on the throttle tube.It's funny when you get something new that you always seem to discover things you never felt before.

You will also find your instruments will move forward and back a little bit... Again, normal.


Also to anyone who has gotten a bike lately, check the connection for the brake light and clutch interlock under the switch housings. A few of us have found those about to fall off and have black taped them up. I will try and find a thread and link it for you.

Electrical-Tape Issue

Also this one with wires going into the fi something or other

Minor cable issue
 
Thread starter
Good point, Ferret. I actually went out and checked my other bikes. Two had similar play in the grip that I'd never noticed before. I'm wondering why it's more obvious to me on this bike....I haven't checked this, but my theory right now is that the front tire might be over-inflated--it seemed to bounce a lot over small pavement imperfections on the ride home, and that's when I was noticing my hand (and the grip) moving back and forth.

Anyway, we'll see. In any case, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Good info on the wiring connections...I'll put that on my to-check list. Thanks!
 
It's even the same down under on a 2011 model, but then the Ferret is there telling us it's the norm.

Presumably the movement in the instruments is to decrease the change of their mountings snapping?

Ferret, I can't find the thingy in this thread—Minor cable issue photos posted by OblivionToad are no longer available.
 
Cormanus, I see three photos posted in the thread.two in post # 1and mine. Mine is in post # 7 I believe

Let me try the link again, and let me know if you see them

Minor cable issue

If not try typing Minor cable issue into the search engine and see if that works
 
Well I'll be damned, Ferret. There was only your picture the first time I looked. I even followed the link to imgur in OblivionToad's post and there was nothing there.

Now, there they all are in all their glory.

I'll go and have another look at the bike and see if I can see the cable.

Thanks.
 
Same with my 2010 model, a couple mm of play in the throttle. I never really noticed it before. Funny, when I bought the CB1100 I'd also owned within the last 12 months a 2009 CB400. Having bought the bike without a test ride (I'd made my mind up!). I thought the CB1100 would just be a bigger, retro version. I soon noticed that the instrument panel felt loose and the bike had a 'lumpy' feel to the engine, whereas the CB400's instrument panel is rock solid and the engine runs like a sewing machine.

At the 1000k service I had the mechanics check out the 'loose' panel and asked about the engine, I actually thought it was a spark plug issue, only to be reassured that the panel was designed like that and that the engine was running perfectly!
 
I dunno. Maybe I'm looking in entirely the wrong place, but I can't even see the wire referred to. Right hand side? Just behind the cylinders? I don't have to take anything off to see it?
 
Uh my bike is no longer here to check.

Anyone? Its under the FI throttle bodies I think. A wire assy about the size of a baby finger I think, grey outer housing, 2 wires inside, pulled away from an accordion looking rubber thingy ( going from memory here). It wont hurt anything if yours is pulled away, just let water down in the outer housing if you wash the bike or get caught in rain, and no you don't have to remove anything to see it.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Good point, Ferret. I actually went out and checked my other bikes. Two had similar play in the grip that I'd never noticed before. I'm wondering why it's more obvious to me on this bike....I haven't checked this, but my theory right now is that the front tire might be over-inflated--it seemed to bounce a lot over small pavement imperfections on the ride home, and that's when I was noticing my hand (and the grip) moving back and forth.

Anyway, we'll see. In any case, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Good info on the wiring connections...I'll put that on my to-check list. Thanks!
Check the preload setting on the front forks. If it's set too stiff, you'll feel the bumps a lot more.
 
Yep. thats the connection, just forward of the right air intake behind the cylinder head. Wonder if its worse in warmer places. If the pictures aren't showing, I'll repost.
 
Obliviontoad_imp said:
Yep. thats the connection, just forward of the right air intake behind the cylinder head. Wonder if its worse in warmer places. If the pictures aren't showing, I'll repost.
They showed up fine the second time , thans. I still ,couldn't find the wire. :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Uh my bike is no longer here to check.

Anyone? Its under the FI throttle bodies I think. A wire assy about the size of a baby finger I think, grey outer housing, 2 wires inside, pulled away from an accordion looking rubber thingy ( going from memory here). It wont hurt anything if yours is pulled away, just let water down in the outer housing if you wash the bike or get caught in rain, and no you don't have to remove anything to see it.
Minor cable issue

Sorry if someone already posted the thread on this.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
I just picked up my new-to-me '13. Really love the bike so far--it's so smooth!

Anyway, that said, I noticed something I've never encountered on any other bike I've ridden. The right-hand (throttle) grip has "play" from side to side. I didn't measure it, but you can move the whole grip maybe 2-3mm in and out (i.e., away/toward the center of the bike).

I found this a bit odd, and not really to my liking. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, is there a fix for it? Ran some searches on the forum and have only found references to normal (radial) throttle play.
If that play still bothers you, you can always get a washer from a hardware store with a wide enough inner diameter to slip over the bar. Or if it's really 3mm, you can even get a keyring from a key maker or hardware store--they usually have a variety of sizes, and one should fit perfectly around your handlebar between the throttle housing and plastic twist-grip tube. You'll still want to have a little bit of play and use dry powdered graphite as a lubricant. Using grease or oil will only attract grit and eventually gum the whole thing up.
One advantage to using a key ring is the gap (the cuts where keys are installed/removed) will usually settle at the top making a handy little spray/injection point when you want to put fresh graphite in there.
 
Thread starter
Good suggestions, guys. I'll check the front preload next time it's warm enough to ride; maybe that's part of the issue. I suspect it's something I'll eventually just get used to with the bike...but the washer/keyring solution is definitely something I'll keep in mind.

I haven't looked at the purge valve connection yet, but the connections for the brake light and clutch interlock were a bit loose--probably end up taping them.
 
How much in-out play do you get if you measure precisely....instead of about sort of maybe 2-3 mm?

I measure 1mm total.

Not being used to the bike, you might be too tense or have too tight a grip on it.
 
There is also the chance that your bar-end weights simply weren't screwed in all the way. Factories frequently use a very heavy (pre-dried) permanent threadlock on those bar-end weights and it's difficult to screw them in the entire way during assembly. See if you can reduce the play by tightening it in a few degrees into the bar before resorting to the wash/keyring fix, but don't go too crazy on the torque--50Nm tops, so you don't risk stripping anything.
 
Thread starter
I just measured...it's right at 1.5mm. The bar end weight on that side is loose...I can spin it easily. I don't know if that necessarily equates to the bolt being loose, though: I noticed the same thing on a new one sitting on the showroom floor, and thought it was odd (the bar end weights on all my other bikes are rock solid), but figured it must be just how they're made.

When I get it over to my shop I might see if tightening the bolt changes anything.

Like I said, I'm not really sure why I'm noticing it on this bike. I've ridden a lot of bikes, and I've got enough miles on this one now that I don't think I'm holding the grips too tight or anything. Part of it may be that the front suspension is set too firm--as I mentioned, it seems almost "bouncy"--and part of it may be that, because the engine/exhaust is so quiet, I can actually hear the thing clacking back and forth as I'm riding.
 
If you are concerned about it take to your Honda dealer and have it checked over. Otherwise don't fuss with it. There isn't anything much worse than a stuck throttle, unless it would be a total sudden loss of front brakes.
 
Back
Top