Show your lid

Nemo_imp said:
DJS, how does the Scorpion shape compare to HJC? My next one will be a modular without the internal sun visor; I don't use it.
the HJC i had (symax) was my first helmet, so hard to do a comparison.
all i know is i was not impressed with it.
Loved the KBC FFR. had a few of them, but they dont make them anymore.
no complaints with the scorpion.
definately think the internal visor is great. i ride with safety glasses on all the time, and just lower the visor as needed.
 
And I thought 2 was 1 too many... :rofl:
 
Pamela's HJC's at left amd my HJC and Nolan at right.

475389e184ba118150e4c50d57c9a9f5.jpg


9909bc4e4f3c2c19e0c219e15265980c.jpg
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Pamela's HJC's at left amd my HJC and Nolan at right.

475389e184ba118150e4c50d57c9a9f5.jpg


9909bc4e4f3c2c19e0c219e15265980c.jpg
Redbirds, one day I'd like to hear the story behind the "Stump Shooter" alias and the meaning of the symbol on the back of your brain buckets.
:cool:
 
Arai RX-Q 'DNA' graphics with optional external sunshade. I didn't like the shade at first -- I thought it created another layer of reflection -- but really came to appreciate it on those days when the sun is low and right in your eyes. It also prevents sunburn on the face, which I used to get with only a clear shield. You can also lock it in the 'up' position which acts as a sort of visor when the sun is high in the sky.

 
Thread starter
Scoobynut_imp said:
Arai RX-Q 'DNA' graphics with optional external sunshade. I didn't like the shade at first -- I thought it created another layer of reflection -- but really came to appreciate it on those days when the sun is low and right in your eyes. It also prevents sunburn on the face, which I used to get with only a clear shield. You can also lock it in the 'up' position which acts as a sort of visor when the sun is high in the sky.



That's a very nice looking helmet and the pinlock insert is HUGE compared to my HJC and my son's Shoei.
:thumbsup:
 
Nemo_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Arai RX-Q 'DNA' graphics with optional external sunshade. I didn't like the shade at first -- I thought it created another layer of reflection -- but really came to appreciate it on those days when the sun is low and right in your eyes. It also prevents sunburn on the face, which I used to get with only a clear shield. You can also lock it in the 'up' position which acts as a sort of visor when the sun is high in the sky.



That's a very nice looking helmet and the pinlock insert is HUGE compared to my HJC and my son's Shoei.
:thumbsup:

I hate to admit this, but I've never used the pinlock system on my helmets (this is my 3rd Arai in a row). I don't know if I exactly understand what it's all about -- I always just figured it was to prevent fogging, in which case I just crack the shield open a hair. I'd love to hear what your take on the whole pinlock thang is, though!
 
Thread starter
What the pinlock does is create a sealed pocket of air between the helmet's shield and the insert. This pocket serves as insulation and greatly reduces (doesn't 100% avoid) fogging. My modular is pinlock ready but does not come with the insert. I bought it out of incredulity and was pleasantly surprised, but as always YMMV.

:cool:
 
Nemo_imp said:
What the pinlock does is create a sealed pocket of air between the helmet's shield and the insert. This pocket serves as insulation and greatly reduces (doesn't 100% avoid) fogging. My modular is pinlock ready but does not come with the insert. I bought it out of incredulity and was pleasantly surprised, but as always YMMV.

:cool:
Thanks, Nemo. That is pretty much what I suspected. The insert doesn't come with this helmet, and after adding the optional shade, it retailed for over $700 (ouch), so I thought, ya know, I'll hold off on that pinlock thing for now. I was also concerned it might create yet another layer of reflections.
 
Pinlock rocks. It came with my Neotech, I didn't use it originally but after I installed it I'm not taking it out other than to clean.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Nemo_imp said:
What the pinlock does is create a sealed pocket of air between the helmet's shield and the insert. This pocket serves as insulation and greatly reduces (doesn't 100% avoid) fogging. My modular is pinlock ready but does not come with the insert. I bought it out of incredulity and was pleasantly surprised, but as always YMMV.

:cool:
Thanks, Nemo. That is pretty much what I suspected. The insert doesn't come with this helmet, and after adding the optional shade, it retailed for over $700 (ouch), so I thought, ya know, I'll hold off on that pinlock thing for now. I was also concerned it might create yet another layer of reflections.
Indeed it does — while riding at night. The reduction in fogging is pretty amazing however.
 
Guth_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
Nemo_imp said:
What the pinlock does is create a sealed pocket of air between the helmet's shield and the insert. This pocket serves as insulation and greatly reduces (doesn't 100% avoid) fogging. My modular is pinlock ready but does not come with the insert. I bought it out of incredulity and was pleasantly surprised, but as always YMMV.

:cool:
Thanks, Nemo. That is pretty much what I suspected. The insert doesn't come with this helmet, and after adding the optional shade, it retailed for over $700 (ouch), so I thought, ya know, I'll hold off on that pinlock thing for now. I was also concerned it might create yet another layer of reflections.
Indeed it does — while riding at night. The reduction in fogging is pretty amazing however.
Indeed it does — while riding at night. The reduction in fogging is pretty amazing however.
I haven't found it being bothersome at night with much reflection.
 
Back
Top