Should I buy this 2013?

There is no right or wrong price to pay for a bike. If it's the bike you want and you and the vendor reach agreement on a price you're happy with, you've done well.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
There is no right or wrong price to pay for a bike. If it's the bike you want and you and the vendor reach agreement on a price you're happy with, you've done well.
Agreed. I paid $9999.00 to get my 2013 out of the showroom and into my garage when the CB1100 first appeared here in the States. A few of us back then were literally among the very first to report taking delivery of these motorcycles when they began to trickle out over in this country. Even though others ended up finding their CB1100's for less money later on, and even though these motorcycles are worth far less now, I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do all over again.

I chalk this up primarily due to the fact that I got exactly what I wanted back when I bought my CB1100. This is also a big part of why I still have my CB today with no thoughts of replacing it with another motorcycle. The other thing that I would point out is that these days the only time I ever think about what I paid for my CB is when conversations such as these arise on the forum. Otherwise, rather than thinking about what I paid for the bike, these days I just think about what an awesome motorcycle it is. Awesome for me anyway, others are bound to have different experiences. Hopefully they'll eventually end up with a motorcycle that makes them as happy as I am with my CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I haven’t been able to see the bike yet as the owner is out of town.
The headers look a LOT more discolored than any other bike I’ve seen in the web. Any reason for concern? Is it running to lean?
 
Guth, you and I bought our bikes at pretty much the same time. I paid what you paid minus $200 in Honda bucks (or whatever they're called). Didn't you get that?
 
Actually as many of us can attest these headers are proof that the bike has not been riding in the rain.
These exhaust systems are made from stainless steel, they don't rust or turn blue but take on this golden glow over time, i polish mine probably twice a year to a stainless gloss and they gradually return to this colour, the other headers are double walled chrome plated and retain the chrome appearance without any discoloration( the two muffler system), so it's whatever you prefer.
If you don't maintain the stainless ones they will turn into a dark colour over time, look at some cb1100 pictures.
 
This might give you some reference on 2013 exhaust maintenance. Here's my '13 as I got off the bike this morning at the office. I detailed it over the holiday weekend, polishing the pipes with Blue Magic like I always do, so they looked like chrome.

I've ridden it to work and back once, then back to work, so, almost 40 miles of highway travel. They've already got a very slight tint of gold. The gold comes off very easily. Tiny brown speckles will start to develop at the first bend in the pipes coming off of the engine. Those are a little harder to get rid of. I usually polish them when I see that first speckle. I probably spend 25 minutes a month to keep them looking like this.

It takes a long time initially to get them to a chrome-like finish, but not too hard to maintain it.

... that is if the appearance of the pipes is a concern to you. I'm a detail freak.
 
ksmith0034_imp said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I haven’t been able to see the bike yet as the owner is out of town.
The headers look a LOT more discolored than any other bike I’ve seen in the web. Any reason for concern? Is it running to lean?
Hi, here are two of my bikes with golden Headers on the Kawasaki.
f1b52100c2c33b17f31bbc4371cb9925.jpg

Hi, here are two of my bikes with golden Headers on the Kawasaki.
7a13f0750cb9f39be4912b358cc21b47.jpg

Here they are on my 2013 CB1100:
63cf4c6b7b7f7c2e52c7a039c01b9588.jpg
 
Another note, the '13 cluster is different than the '14 in several ways correct?

The '13 rear axle is smaller if I am not mistaken too.
 
I think 4500 is a decent price for the 2013. I paid 6500 for my 2014 Standard last Sept with 2,500 miles on the clock. I've put about 2,500 miles on it so far, and its comfortable, quick and smooth. I too had a Thruxton, mine was a 2012 and agree that the CB1100 is leaps and bounds a better bike than the aircooled 865 twin in the Triumph. I did like my Triumph, but I prefer the CB.
 
If the price is average in your area, the deciding factor should be the bike conditions. Maybe you should decide after you see and tested the bike. I am lucky to know my bike's dealer and he let me take the bike home for a day. And I am hooked after that.
 
Here's a 2013 dash to answer your question. the 2014 is different, I'm sure someone can snap a pic of theirs.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Hey! How come the 2013 will do 140 mph while the 2014 will only do 120?
LR, Lord Popgun always claimed '13 superiority over '14 model, and not wanted to risk any aggravation with him...:P :D ...(if a '14 is in the 5th gear)
:beerchug:
 
Thats how it works right? The speedometer limits the speed. put a highter reading speedometer on and like magic, the bike goes faster!! :D

Thank Joan Claybrook for that 85MPH speedometer.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
It looks completely stock, so you wouldn't have to "undo" mods that you don't like. It's a blank canvas and looks nice. Take some Blue Magic ($6 at Walmart) to those pipes and they'd clean up like new with a little effort, and stay new with less effort. For reference, I bought my '13 a year ago for $4700 with 1700 miles. It was a spotless garage queen. The two mods were a Dart flyscreen and frame sliders. I would have bought a Dart if it didn't already have one, and the sliders were a nice bonus.

As everyone has mentioned, the big difference is the '13-only five speed. If you care about the level of shine on the pipes, you'd have to keep up with it, as the deluxe models have chrome covers over the pipes. Lots of people like the shape of the smaller standard / '13 tank. It's all a list of preferences you need to make sure you're cool with. I remember the "smack me in the face" feeling I had when I first saw a '13 in a dealership, and like Guth, I think it's the nicest looking model. I have a freeway commute that keeps me at 70 mph or so for a good part of my ride (with the reduced virus traffic, almost need to go 85 to avoid getting run over). The lack of a sixth gear doesn't bother me in the least.
I just test drove a 13' and at 65MPH+ (RPM ~ 4-4.5K) it seemed a bit noisy and a good deal of vibration. Was hoping to be able to go about a max of 90MPH without those issues. Any solutions/ideas?
 
Back
Top