Shocks strut different length

CB750TOM_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I installed a new Dayton Cozy seat today and noticed that the right side of the seat rested on the outside end of the right shock. The left side of the seat sits on the inside of the top of the left shock. After wiggling the seat for longer than I care to admit, I noticed that the right shock strut is shorter than the left side. This allows for the difference in how the seat rests on the shocks. So, if I can help anyone else avoid a trip down OCD lane I am happy to share this with you guys.:D
 
I just went out and measured mine and they both measure the same..sitting on centerstand, second notch, both measure 14 1/2 inches eye to eye
 
The ferret_imp said:
I just went out and measured mine and they both measure the same..sitting on centerstand, second notch, both measure 14 1/2 inches eye to eye
he's talking about the shock mount distance l-r from centerline..... The swing arm is not symmetrical to accommodate the chain.
 
Measuring from swingarm pivot point to bottom shock eye? Im not sure I follow where you are measuring
 
The ferret_imp said:
Measuring from swingarm pivot point to bottom shock eye? Im not sure I follow where you are measuring
distance left compared to right from centerline of frame or tire out to the shock.... Going out sideways. The left side of the swing arm at the axle/shock mount sticks out farther to the side than the right side does. So does the top shock mount to keep shocks parallel.
 
Huuuuuh..never noticed. Going to go look, but what you said makes sense
 
Yep 1/2" difference between left and right measurement between tire and shock rod. Interesting.
 
So the strut length is the same, just their location in space off the center line of the bike is different?
 
Rboe_imp said:
So the strut length is the same, just their location in space off the center line of the bike is different?
I think the word strut threw you off. The op probably should have said shock mounting stud or attachment point or something. Both shocks themselves are exactly the same.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
So the strut length is the same, just their location in space off the center line of the bike is different?
I think the word strut threw you off. The op probably should have said shock mounting stud or attachment point or something. Both shocks themselves are exactly the same.
I think the word strut threw you off. The op probably should have said shock mounting stud or attachment point or something. Both shocks themselves are exactly the same.
Yup, top mounting stud is correct. Makes sense that it is because of chain.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Measuring from swingarm pivot point to bottom shock eye? Im not sure I follow where you are measuring
distance left compared to right from centerline of frame or tire out to the shock.... Going out sideways. The left side of the swing arm at the axle/shock mount sticks out farther to the side than the right side does. So does the top shock mount to keep shocks parallel.
So do mine.
 
I also noticed this when I first adjusted the chain tension. The wheels being the center line the non-symmetric and one side parts are designed and placed to maintain the balance. Which tells me that every modification has to be well thought out..
 
Back
Top