Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have 2 questions.

How would you have checked the air pressure without installing the tire (2nd pic)?

How did you put the text balloons on the pics?
. as far as my captions go.. I have an iPhone linked to an apple desktop.. because my phone and comp are linked.. I can answer calls on the comp., text etc.. I edit my pics on the apple desk, then send the pics to Peter, through email.. who is kind enough to post them for me.. I hope Peter doesn't mind me mentioning his name..
 
Ah, I understand now. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
And my question: Does the 5200 adversely affect wheel balance? I assume you balance the wheel as you normally would, but if applied unevenly, does it create balancing issues?
hi ranger... when I took my tire in to have it mounted, I called my work to the attention of the bike shops mechanic.. he also may find himself involved in a similar project for a customer.. I am keeping him posted thru pics I have taken also.. his thoughts were, it would not affect balance.. the fact being, when I had to take it back in to have the tire removed, allowing me to do my repair, he commented, why don't you add a full second coat all the way around the rim.. the material (3M 5200) seems to be pretty lightweight.. when balancing the rim for the first time, it didn't take many weights to balance it .. (computer balance) ..
 
I’m guessing Peter doesn’t mind you mentioning his name as when he posts your pics, his name is on the posts! So we all know who did it anyway :)

Not that it really matters. Except he doesn’t have RLETS. That matters. ;)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I’m guessing Peter doesn’t mind you mentioning his name as when he posts your pics, his name is on the posts! So we all know who did it anyway :)

Not that it really matters. Except he doesn’t have RLETS. That matters. ;)
Looks to me like mandatory business trip to Virginia Beach this year ...:P
:)
 
Bring it! In the Summer when a boat load of Canadians are in town at the ocean front getting sunburned :D. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
today I had the shinko777 mounted on my rear wheel .. this was my second attempt.. yesterdays attempt proved very disappointing.. they say, the second time is the charm and this could be very well true.. I checked for leaks around the spokes with soapy water, then dialed in the pressure, as close to 42 lbs as I could.. I measure my pressure with a FOBO tire pressure monitoring system.. I also take a pic of the readings.. tire pressures, tire temp, battery life of sensors, time and date.. this is the best way for me to remember previous pressures .. so tomorrow will be the big day.. tomorrow will tell me if my pressures held.. again, wish me luck !! .. chuckk j.
 
FOBO is pretty interesting. Here is a link for it: FOBO
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
FOBO is pretty interesting. Here is a link for it: FOBO
yes popgun .. that's the one.. I started with the FOBO's when I had my tilting motor works trike.. the only negative so far with it may be the need to replace batteries in the sensors fairly often.. I am doing a test on my batteries right now, to see exactly how long they will last me.. before this test, I would just change them every so often, without actually keeping track..
 
Thread starter
after 24 hours, my tire pressure is holding !! .. that rear wheel was my first attempt to seal a spoked rim.. I feel more confident now, so soon I will be sealing my front rim and installing that fatty 120/90/18 shinko 777 ... I took the beauty out for a short test ride today.. everything seems good.. now I must scrub in that new rear tire, once the roads dry out a little.. it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it !! .. haha ... chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Congratulations Chuckk. Hopefully this monkey gets put well back of you.
thanks G.O. ..there wasn't too much of a difference in the size of tire in the rear.. now the front might be a different story !! .. I am anxious to install the fatty.. I'm thinking about another 400 miles of twisties should do the little bugger in.. (front tire) .. chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
the time has come to install the front shinko777 120/90/18 on my 2017 CB 1100ex..I was able to squeeze 2840 miles out of the front, just a little more than the rear gave me.. learning from the past, I did a more thorough application of the 3M 5200.. I gave it 2 coats right off the bat, concentrating on filling every spoke nut void..I used a smaller acid brush this time.. it acted a little more like a bondo spreader, which I liked.. I took a few more pics.. perhaps Peter can post them for me.. installing the wheel on the bike might be a little bit of a challenge.. we will see.. chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
the time has come to install the front shinko777 120/90/18 on my 2017 CB 1100ex..I was able to squeeze 2840 miles out of the front, just a little more than the rear gave me.. learning from the past, I did a more thorough application of the 3M 5200.. I gave it 2 coats right off the bat, concentrating on filling every spoke nut void..I used a smaller acid brush this time.. it acted a little more like a bondo spreader, which I liked.. I took a few more pics.. perhaps Peter can post them for me.. installing the wheel on the bike might be a little bit of a challenge.. we will see.. chuckk j.
HERE YOU GO CHUCKK - PICS, as requested

9cc23b3ac0fe82dc0ece06cf8be8c8ef.jpg


c29a72b8661500d5ed25f9792c76e202.jpg


ab3518a4fbf9edc384ca979965bd3237.jpg


e57ae6e91ef2852919c4c6250f8439d6.jpg

:)
 
If anyone else is doing this, please note he used 3M5200 Fast Cure. It takes around 48 hours to cure.

Regular 5200 “cures in about 7 days” says the instructions. And from my experience it does.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If anyone else is doing this, please note he used 3M5200 Fast Cure. It takes around 48 hours to cure.

Regular 5200 “cures in about 7 days” says the instructions. And from my experience it does.
popgun.. it says on the fast cure, 24 hr. cure time.. just so you know.. those are the guidelines I followed between coats and installing that rubber piece.... chuckk j.
I took it upon myself to go against the 5200 fast cures directions.. the directions say, once the tube is open, use within 24 hrs.. by keeping the 5200 in the fridge, I was able to extend the shelf life of it.. I tested the product before each application to be sure it was still ok.. I also warmed the 5200 up a little after removing it from the fridge, by putting it under a light bulb.. I also was surprised at the differences in pricing of the 3M 5200.. I bought a 3oz. tube on line to start with.. it didn't take me long to realize more would be needed.. I then visited a ships chandlery to buy more 5200 quickly.. I expected to pay a higher price, but found this.. the online 3oz was about $16. ... the 10oz tube at the chandlery ran me $23. good to know... chuckk j.
the "fatty" is finally installed on the bike !! there was more modifying that had to be done.. I knew it was going to be a tight fit and had to wait for the mounted tire on the rim to make my final adjustments.. hopefully Peter can help me once more with the captioned pics.. chuckk j.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
the time has come to install the front shinko777 120/90/18 on my 2017 CB 1100ex..I was able to squeeze 2840 miles out of the front, just a little more than the rear gave me.. learning from the past, I did a more thorough application of the 3M 5200.. I gave it 2 coats right off the bat, concentrating on filling every spoke nut void..I used a smaller acid brush this time.. it acted a little more like a bondo spreader, which I liked.. I took a few more pics.. perhaps Peter can post them for me.. installing the wheel on the bike might be a little bit of a challenge.. we will see.. chuckk j.
HERE YOU GO CHUCKK - PICS, as requested

9cc23b3ac0fe82dc0ece06cf8be8c8ef.jpg


c29a72b8661500d5ed25f9792c76e202.jpg


ab3518a4fbf9edc384ca979965bd3237.jpg


e57ae6e91ef2852919c4c6250f8439d6.jpg

:)
HERE YOU GO CHUCKK - PICS, as requested

0e5d6052837b668da877f5f4f8c99c69.jpg


de8ed48b87475aaf862a715636f87bd6.jpg


5a0063c98f7c8f3fad85755dac327452.jpg


75467e91b28f340165f7621c9312d514.jpg

:)
EVEN MORE PICS FOR CHUCKK::

d4d0cc7f5d3d7e9a5e6d2ff3a389ce63.jpg


daab6c70f5b7a44c2b7a33d7c0297ffc.jpg


b31db4696792f0ae7b2d7b325eda8e70.jpg


5e3d1a6d8fb3c3e5e38d8c639bc8f1bc.jpg


32e5748ad1f7d5f00a429094a1a37ad1.jpg


b6cdd11a1e99b9393f9a89a3b06a325b.jpg

:)
 
Chuckk, yes you are correct. 24 hours for the fast cure—its on the tube. I have seen it take longer though. YMMV. Probably due to thickness, temp and humidity.
 
Back
Top