Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

PB, I'm not sure what you 're asking.

GO, my CB came with the Dunlop and they wore fine. So, I can't speak personally to the BT54 option. I have run BT45s, a bias-ply tyre, which did not wear nearly as well as Michelin PR3s.

Members of this forum—Randy B and LongRanger spring to mind—have reported that the BT54s wear out fast, particularly the front. Hence my post.

See, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13166
 
Cormanus_imp said:
PB, I'm not sure what you 're asking.

GO, my CB came with the Dunlop and they wore fine. So, I can't speak personally to the BT54 option. I have run BT45s, a bias-ply tyre, which did not wear nearly as well as Michelin PR3s.

Members of this forum—Randy B and LongRanger spring to mind—have reported that the BT54s wear out fast, particularly the front. Hence my post.

See, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13166
The last sentence* already explained. Thanks for your concern.
As to front BT54, it lasted at least 18000 km, rear one much longer and there was plenty left with the rear, when I ditched both (2013 model)
PR3 were long runners, the best I've ever had.
 
Okay, sure. I have the Bridgestone BattleAx (T30?) and surprisingly they are running well. I am not a fan of Bridgestone, but these have exceeded my expectations. In contrast, I have had Metzelers (cannot recall model) that were supposed to be recommended, but those wore fast in the rear. Michelin has worked well in the past on other bikes for me.
 
Thread starter
it's Chuckk .. let me be the canary in the mine tunnel .. my rear tire is now worn out on my 2017 CB (2700 miles) .. I have taken pics and captioned them.. hopefully, Peter has the time to post them for me.. I have sealed my spoked rim and am ready to have my first shinko 777 tubeless tire installed on to the rear of my bike, without an inner tube.. it's a 150/70/18 .. I'm hoping this works !! .. wish me luck ..
 
Wishing you luck Chuck hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Original tire worn out at 2700 miles? Wow
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wishing you luck Chuck hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Original tire worn out at 2700 miles? Wow
I was surprised myself.. wait till you see it.. unless I am really getting forgetful, my fronts always gave out first.. I was keeping an eye on my front, when I realized my rear tire was done..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wishing you luck Chuck hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Original tire worn out at 2700 miles? Wow
I was surprised myself.. wait till you see it.. unless I am really getting forgetful, my fronts always gave out first.. I was keeping an eye on my front, when I realized my rear tire was done..
I was surprised myself.. wait till you see it.. unless I am really getting forgetful, my fronts always gave out first.. I was keeping an eye on my front, when I realized my rear tire was done..
THIS IS CHUCKK & CHARLOTTE PROJECT, just posting for them :)

34d9c370f5ed41164c9d0bb601e2f670.jpg


1ffaa2fdaacd2556795fd2c921900dcf.jpg


921f41dffed75e01103f58cf85a14044.jpg


a4d6df070701472149d9b147fa0749a3.jpg


6ae0d9f1f990b2db7710c2f3276cfb07.jpg


984cfe27388dfd0086b8f7b163829507.jpg


51779b00592e0084773e56bc4062018b.jpg


61f4c7edd641cabc8da3bdf6e54762cd.jpg


6ebd27e4f6bf49cc62b0add42e484939.jpg


fbada58b6fbbd13768db704f20e6384c.jpg


c8f6037c10b54682b854a6a6ee485f8f.jpg

This is Charlotte

Chuckk, this seems to be too big project just by yourself..did Charlotte help you? :P
 
Cat has a name! Hello Charlotte.

- - -

That's a pretty detailed sealing job. I reckon any imbalance caused by the sealant is negligible? (i.e. no re-balancing?)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cat has a name! Hello Charlotte.

- - -

That's a pretty detailed sealing job. I reckon any imbalance caused by the sealant is negligible? (i.e. no re-balancing?)
the sealant is pretty evenly spread.. that combined with the new tire balancing, I think things should be good..
 
Hey Chuckk,
Interesting project. Just wondering if your method includes provision for the spoke nipples to be 'tweaked' should they need tightening or adjustment to remove a buckle/warp? The Outex kit uses a small 'dot' of fiberglass tape on the back of each nipple such that it can spin under the heavy sealant band that runs around the inside of the rim. My bike has the Outex kit but so far I haven't had to adjust any spokes to know if the method actually works.
BTW Looks like you got excellent fun value from that D204 using it edge to edge ... great stuff!
cheers
AF
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Hey Chuckk,
Interesting project. Just wondering if your method includes provision for the spoke nipples to be 'tweaked' should they need tightening or adjustment to remove a buckle/warp? The Outex kit uses a small 'dot' of fiberglass tape on the back of each nipple such that it can spin under the heavy sealant band that runs around the inside of the rim. My bike has the Outex kit but so far I haven't had to adjust any spokes to know if the method actually works.
BTW Looks like you got excellent fun value from that D204 using it edge to edge ... great stuff!
cheers
AF
hi Aussie... I checked all of the spokes before applying the 5200 sealant.. if I would need to adjust any spokes in the future, I will plan it around a tire change.. then I will have the access needed to cut away the sealant immediately surrounding the spokes that may need adjusting.. then simply reseal with a dab of 5200.. I haven't had too many spoked bikes, maybe 10 or so out of the 120 bikes I have had over the years.. I don't recall much of a need to adjust them.. life is an adventure !! chuckk j.
 
wow, 120 bikes. I can't imagine that many bikes unless you are/were a dealer. I'll bet that you'd have a few interesting stories to tell once plied with a bourbon or two! Looking forward to hearing how those Skinko's stack up.
cheers
AF
 
Thread starter
I was lucky and found myself retiring early.. then busied myself restoring older goldwings mainly.. coming from an 1800 goldwing, I find it very refreshing to hop on my little C.B... once again the canyons are my friends.. chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
wow, 120 bikes. I can't imagine that many bikes unless you are/were a dealer. I'll bet that you'd have a few interesting stories to tell once plied with a bourbon or two! Looking forward to hearing how those Skinko's stack up.
cheers
AF
yes Aussie.. you've gotten me thinking back now.. most of the bikes I bought were non runners.. so there was a lot of risk.. the first fire-ups on a newly purchased bike were always exciting.. usually lots of smoke involved...I remember the glory on some and disappointment on others ..
 
Thread starter
I came as close as I want to come to adjusting spoke nipples today as I want to .. after mounting my shinko rear tire and installing it on the bike, I found I had 2 air Leaks.. I found where they were coming from, then had my tire removed to remedy the problem.. that ran me an extra $28. for removal, installing, and rebalancing.. I have repaired the problem.. tomorrow I will have the tire installed "again" and balanced.. the shinko ran me $101. O.T.D. mounted and balanced, so I am still doing ok with my costs even with the extra $28.. I will be sending all the pics to Peter.. then hopefully, he will have the time to post them .. sorry for being such a dummy as far as posting my pics ..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
I came as close as I want to come to adjusting spoke nipples today as I want to .. after mounting my shinko rear tire and installing it on the bike, I found I had 2 air Leaks.. I found where they were coming from, then had my tire removed to remedy the problem.. that ran me an extra $28. for removal, installing, and rebalancing.. I have repaired the problem.. tomorrow I will have the tire installed "again" and balanced.. the shinko ran me $101. O.T.D. mounted and balanced, so I am still doing ok with my costs even with the extra $28.. I will be sending all the pics to Peter.. then hopefully, he will have the time to post them .. sorry for being such a dummy as far as posting my pics ..
LEAK REPAIR posted for Chuckk:

e3bf80f8348fbb6a44f3d18912b2e8bf.jpg


2fb80fc20d0e5f9feb21401666edff8a.jpg


069611170c507f5ee79e0f5dfa46ff10.jpg


191a1187c74938929a8fd6b17604f5e0.jpg


2953e707f17084ef5f8649cdcb94e032.jpg


c1fc39dfdf627e6136a449f8b91fd9c4.jpg


32649a2c0c55aee449e05831c9646f52.jpg


e8d4c8ae3adedf523abb9d51249af1f2.jpg


57b6f4f6bf02fe81409b81f1cacdaeb0.jpg

:)
 
I have 2 questions.

How would you have checked the air pressure without installing the tire (2nd pic)?

How did you put the text balloons on the pics?
 
And my question: Does the 5200 adversely affect wheel balance? I assume you balance the wheel as you normally would, but if applied unevenly, does it create balancing issues?
 
Back
Top