Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Houtman, while maybe cost is something Honda should consider, I’d have thought the thing they should really be sure of is that a range of tyres that fit the wheels is available.
 
While cost is always a consideration, a motorcycle manufacturer calls for a certain specification of what should work best when designing a bike, suppliers submit samples, they get tested and approved. They get installed on new bikes and a supply line is provided for those particular tires from those manufacturers as OEM replacements. That exact tire that the bike was designed for will be available from them.

Of course you can get cheaper/more expensive, better/worse tires in the same sizes. They can't control supply chains outside that. Tire manufacturers are always changing compounds/tread patterns/dimensions, or discontinuing/replacing a model or size.

A good example was a complaint of wobbling under certain conditions (like taking both hands off the bars!) on a touring bike when the OEM tire was replaced with the same brand/model/size from the aftermarket. The OEM replacements from the dealer didn't have that problem.
 
When you say “That exact tire that the bike was designed for will be available from them” does ‘them’ mean the bike manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer? My Honda dealer could not get either of the OEM tyres as replacements when I first tried. Or were they avaialable from the tyre manufacturer.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
When you say “That exact tire that the bike was designed for will be available from them” does ‘them’ mean the bike manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer? My Honda dealer could not get either of the OEM tyres as replacements when I first tried. Or were they avaialable from the tyre manufacturer.
In the US, it means order from the dealer who orders through Honda parts. At least that's how it's supposed to work, and I know there are often backorders.
For tire manufacturers, OEM motorcycle supply is only a small fraction compared to the aftermarket, and nothing compared to car needs.

Nobody likes to storehouse anything anymore, relying on last-minute replenishment. Tire manufacturers, like just about every supplier, have their schedules full for months in advance. An order of 500 tires has to be squeezed into their production schedules.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Chuckk, both rims on the 2017 CB1100EX have inner bead lips similar to those on tubeless cast rims that may help retain the tire on the rim. Don't know that they are identical or will function the same, so proceed at your own risk.
thanks duck ... I feel confident the tire will stay in place if I get a flat.. my biggest issue now, is fitting that 120/90/18 shinko777 under that front fender and having enough clearance to allow for expansion from centrifugal force and heat.. I will pull my front fender and see if there is any way to fudge on the clearance between the fender and tire.. wish me luck ..
Chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Good luck Chuck.
thanks G.O. .. I took a brief look at that fender a few days ago .. It may not be too easy to raise it up .. but it would be great if I could find a way..
chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Good luck Chuck.
thanks G.O. .. I took a brief look at that fender a few days ago .. It may not be too easy to raise it up .. but it would be great if I could find a way..
chuckk j.
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Good luck Chuck.
thanks G.O. .. I took a brief look at that fender a few days ago .. It may not be too easy to raise it up .. but it would be great if I could find a way..
chuckk j.
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.
 
Thread starter
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Good luck Chuck.
thanks G.O. .. I took a brief look at that fender a few days ago .. It may not be too easy to raise it up .. but it would be great if I could find a way..
chuckk j.
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.
Is there even enough margin to raise it around the top of the lower fork component without going all custom?
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.
nice pic G.O. .. well, I have found the solution !! .. I was able to raise my front fender an inch higher .. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
The larger rear tire may give you clearance problems with the center stand.
to be honest, I have never thought about that !! .. I have seen where 150/70/18's and even 160's have been used.. each time I have eyeballed the rear tire for clearance the bike has been on it's center stand .. I am planning on using a Shinko 777 150/70/18 .. has anyone installed a 150/70/18 or wider, without having any center stand issues ? .. chuckk j.
 
[/QUOTE]
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, as long as I have'em and Imgur won't restrict number of edited or charge..:)
 
Thread starter
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, as long as I have'em and Imgur won't restrict number of edited or charge..:)
[/QUOTE] let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.
[/QUOTE]
. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, as long as I have'em and Imgur won't restrict number of edited or charge..:)
[/QUOTE]

thanks Peter... coincidentally I was just browsing your posts, hoping to find a pic of my saddle bags you may have posted for me.. Goldoxide wanted to see a pic of my bags and led directionals.. I was then going to reference that post .. (like I really know what I am doing) .. chuckk j.[/b]
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Most of my tires are 150/70 and no problem at all
thanks houtman ... pics of my front fender modification will be coming soon.. building 2 small adaptor plates allowed me to raise the front fender on my 2017 1100ex by 1 inch.. this will allow clearance for the Shinko 777 120/90/18 .... the next step will be to convert my spoked rims, allowing me to run tubeless tires without using inner tubes.. chuckk j.
 
Chuckk's project, not mine, just edit pics for him...

Hey Chuck, no RLETs = :thumbsup:

01a6c2522bf48a353293502fbb3f62c5.jpg


cfea88d6f60af350158c6883b3338ca2.jpg


118bfa31dabf702a8eab1a51b138e3b6.jpg


9ab3258e4675d53e45954ead8f8442e8.jpg


bad71b47af0a8970a6e6f4c745b336dd.jpg


47fae4495d23ab1001fd61f322818292.jpg


060a6354f16c92624e777373cfa3e55b.jpg


32fa1c13dd2862f179d5f101b54a0e48.jpg


20f8624f69d30f5031096b7e81b59544.jpg


f7ffd0c08125cb46fcece9b3c42aff82.jpg
 
Chuckk_imp said:
let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.[/b]
. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, as long as I have'em and Imgur won't restrict number of edited or charge..:)
[/QUOTE] let me pull it and see what my little brain can come up with.. haha ..
chuck j.
[/QUOTE]
. I am in the middle of it and will send pics if Peter will help me, perhaps tomorrow.. sorry for being so helpless.. chuck j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, as long as I have'em and Imgur won't restrict number of edited or charge..:)
[/QUOTE]

thanks Peter... coincidentally I was just browsing your posts, hoping to find a pic of my saddle bags you may have posted for me.. Goldoxide wanted to see a pic of my bags and led directionals.. I was then going to reference that post .. (like I really know what I am doing) .. chuckk j.[/b]
[/QUOTE]
Here is a forward reference Chuckk:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=852&pid=229442#pid229442

- - -

Interesting project result. So by slightly squeezing the fender near the middle (both sides), you were able to clear the forks, eh? Neat.
 
Back
Top