Service contracts are they worth it on a new 2017 cb

pittycheria_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Does it make sense to pay 1700 for a dealer service contract that covers 3 years or 6 services for my new 2017 cb1100 ex (will get it in 3 weeks) - I plan to be a weekend rider , probably won't do more than 5k mikes a year

What are your typical maintenance costs ?
 
No. You can do an oil change yourself for $30, basic maintenance yourself for $0. They are just looking to collect upfront what they will soak you for over time. Put the $1700 in the bank and draw it down over your time of ownership.
 
Agreed. Oil changes are recommended every 4000 miles and as Capo suggests, they are inexpensive and easy to perform yourself. I'm not sure your bike will require much more attention than that in the first 15,000 miles / 3 years of ownership (perhaps a set of brake pads, but they're inexpensive too). Even if the service contract included periodic tire, chain, and sprocket replacement, which I imagine it doesn't, you'd still be ahead by not buying it. Besides, the maintenance schedule doesn't specify six services in the first 15,000 miles. I might consider buying the contract for $700, not $1700, but even that seems a bit steep.
 
I think my service agreement costs less and pays for more than does yours, but I feel that I have come out ahead in the deal. I average 7,000 miles per year.

I had like 5 paragraphs typed out and posted, then realized that there's an shorter way to advise you on this decision:

Figure out what the dealer would charge you for the various service over the course of 3 years/15,000 miles (there's more service than just oil changes)
Figure out what it would cost you to do these services yourself.
Figure out what your spare time is worth to you per hour (this was the tipping point for me because I only have so many riding hours/month and I do not have time or inclination to spend my evenings or my riding time doing anything more than the occasional chain maintenance)
Compare the cost of dealer-performed maintenance, the cost of DIY maintenance (including your personal hourly labor rate) and the cost of the service agreement (remember to factor in that they are only covering 6 services, so you may have to pay for a couple of lower cost services, like oil changes, out of pocket or do them yourselves).

Put all of that on paper and you should get a pretty good idea of the right way to go for you. Luckily, you have 3 weeks to figure this out. Good luck and happy computing.
 
pittycheria_imp said:
Does it make sense to pay 1700 for a dealer service contract that covers 3 years or 6 services for my new 2017 cb1100 ex (will get it in 3 weeks) - I plan to be a weekend rider , probably won't do more than 5k mikes a year

What are your typical maintenance costs ?
I initially thought you meant a warranty extension program. If it's for basic service over 3 years only, sounds quite high. If you're doing 5k miles per year, even the most expensive basic service (checking valves and/or replacing shim(s) would only be required once in 3 years. As others have said, oil changes are a piece of cake once you're able to loosen the oil filter the first time.:D

When I owned a W650, I added an extended 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for (as I recall)about $450.00. Several thousand miles into ownership, a weld broke on the exhaust system. The Kaw dealer took a few photos, submitted the claim, which Kaw honored
 
Yep, extended warranties are a different story. I bought a third-party extended warranty for my K-bike, and once my servicing dealer caught wind of it, all sorts of components started failing and "had to be replaced." I don't know who made off better, me or him. Doubtful I'd bother buying one for my CB.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Yep, extended warranties are a different story. I bought a third-party extended warranty for my K-bike, and once my servicing dealer caught wind of it, all sorts of components started failing and "had to be replaced." I don't know who made off better, me or him. Doubtful I'd bother buying one for my CB.
My situation may have been different with the extended warranty, since it was underwritten by Kawasaki. I broke even, only because the exhaust cracked, and the cost of a new one was about the same as the cost of the contract. That bike was built too good! Sold it when it hit 50,000 miles. Exhaust was the only problem I ever had with it. Sweet ride, I thought.
 
If extended warranties, or ANY kind of warranties, were truly structured such that the purchaser would come out ahead, NOBODY would sell them. In the short run, of course, ANYTHING could happen...
 
It is a statistical sharing of risk across a large population. Like a casino few win, most lose and the house profits. Roles reversed in extended warranties. They would not sell them if they lost money.

The question is are you feeling lucky? Are you risk adverse?

Roll the dice take your chance


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Elipten and Capo are on the money.

Suggest if you're mechanically minded and enjoy drinking beer whilst playing with bikes, the $1700 could be better invested!

Let us know how you go.
 
In more than one word: it depends. Can you reasonably expect to spend $560/year for maintenance? If yes, then it's worth it. Do you have enough spare time to do the maintenance without cutting into your riding time? If yes, then it's probably not worth it.

Your question was "Are they worth it?" Only you will know that and you will only know that once you decide how much your own time and effort is worth and once you compare the other estimated DIY costs to the estimated dealer costs and then compare both of those to the cost of the agreement. You also have to read ALL the terms of the agreement to make sure that you're comparing everything fairly.
 
Back
Top