Self-Canceling Turn Signals

Joola_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Some owners have shared a similar embarrassing experience as I have by leaving the turn signal on for a few blocks after a lane change or turn. I'm used to bikes that have self-canceling turn signals and wondered if a mod similar to the flashing brake lights was available for the turn signals. I came across this after a quick google search. Has anyone tried this mod or had experience with this in the past? I don't think this one is compatible with our left hand only turn signals but maybe there is one I'm missing that works for the CB11.

Self-canceling turn signal module
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Rubbish, but I do have a beeper on my zipper so I don't leave my fly open.
Thanks for your sarcastic contribution. Maybe if your zipper auto closed for the last 10 years and suddenly it didn't you would need a beeper reminder.
 
Joola_imp said:
Some owners have shared a similar embarrassing experience as I have by leaving the turn signal on for a few blocks after a lane change or turn. I'm used to bikes that have self-canceling turn signals and wondered if a mod similar to the flashing brake lights was available for the turn signals. I came across this after a quick google search. Has anyone tried this mod or had experience with this in the past? I don't think this one is compatible with our left hand only turn signals but maybe there is one I'm missing that works for the CB11.

Self-canceling turn signal module

Joola,

Yeah no kidding. Not only does my H-D have self canceling turn signals, but the activation buttons are on both sides of the handlebars. Nothing is the same and switching from bike to bike isn't real instinctive. At least the front turn signals are very visible to the rider so when I eventually look at the speedo I notice them. I've settled on a 2nd approach. When I activate the CB's turn signals I rest my thumb on the top of the canceling switch and don't take it off without pushing it in to turn them off.

Chip
 
I punch the cancel button after every turn whether Ive used the signal or not.
 
I will be honest, I don't use the turn signals at all anymore. Twice now recently, turning right onto a street, the person behind me was so impatient that they went to pass me (in no passing zones with oncoming traffic) when I put the signal on. Of course, I was starting my turn and had swung a bit out to the left and they didn't bother going all the way into the other lane... The second idiot I followed until I cooled down (he kept doubling back, in that specific hope I assume). I'm not a slow rider, I'm typically going 5 over the limit before I take the turns, and I barely slow at all to make those turns normally. I prefer not to give them foreknowledge of my intended movements now.

I have managed to run with the blinker going for a bit though... I hit the right turn signal when I was going for the horn one time. I must have gone for 5 minutes with it blinking. In that case, self-cancelling signals would have been nice. :)
 
Thread starter
I forget to turn them off some times. Heck I've been known to do it in a car from time to time. It's something a fellow has to be on top of. I have Harley's and they're not with out their faults either. Some times they'll stop flashing prematurely which could be worse. Seems with the technology available they could be better. Hard to see in the day light for sure. I don't ride at night much at all. Too many deer and other "critters" out at night. Some with two legs some with four.







ChipBeck_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
Some owners have shared a similar embarrassing experience as I have by leaving the turn signal on for a few blocks after a lane change or turn. I'm used to bikes that have self-canceling turn signals and wondered if a mod similar to the flashing brake lights was available for the turn signals. I came across this after a quick google search. Has anyone tried this mod or had experience with this in the past? I don't think this one is compatible with our left hand only turn signals but maybe there is one I'm missing that works for the CB11.

Self-canceling turn signal module

Joola,

Yeah no kidding. Not only does my H-D have self canceling turn signals, but the activation buttons are on both sides of the handlebars. Nothing is the same and switching from bike to bike isn't real instinctive. At least the front turn signals are very visible to the rider so when I eventually look at the speedo I notice them. I've settled on a 2nd approach. When I activate the CB's turn signals I rest my thumb on the top of the canceling switch and don't take it off without pushing it in to turn them off.

Chip

I noticed I forget to turn them off more during the day when the contrast isn't as great. I almost never forgot to turn them off when i'm riding at night because I can see them flashing when I'm looking down the road. Hopefully with more time on this bike it'll become instinctual to cancel every time.
[/QUOTE]
 
If you are concerned about it you can try using the product you linked. However, I don't see it being worth it in the end. Once you get used to canceling it yourself you won't even have to think about it anymore and will just do it automatically. To me it's the same thing as learning to drive a manual, at first you really have to focus on it but then it becomes second nature.
 
I think that is just Honda doing their homework as part of the whole retro thing ! We did not have them ( self canceling) back when. LOL
 
CBMike_imp said:
If you are concerned about it you can try using the product you linked. However, I don't see it being worth it in the end. Once you get used to canceling it yourself you won't even have to think about it anymore and will just do it automatically. To me it's the same thing as learning to drive a manual, at first you really have to focus on it but then it becomes second nature.
+1. None of the bikes currently in my stable have self-canceling signals, so all of them currently function the same way. Pushing the button after a turn is automatic for me.

Now, I will admit that every now and then I search for a clutch and foot shifter on my VFR1200F DCT. :D
 
I've never owned a bike with self-canceling signals so I don't want or need them.

I guess I'm just used to pushing the button - I guess they are self cancelling... I cancel them my self. :s :D
 
Thread starter
The more time I spend on this bike, the less I forget to cancel the turn signals. As suggested, it's just a matter of getting used to it.
 
You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.
careful, I was scolded harshly by the OP in post #3 for replying to this thread in a frivolous way.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.
careful, I was scolded harshly by the OP in post #3 for replying to this thread in a frivolous way.
careful, I was scolded harshly by the OP in post #3 for replying to this thread in a frivolous way. Well, it is nice to see there are a few crusty old farts here who actually think that everything doesn't need to be done for us automatically. Here again I've been doing this for thirty years and have had the older BMW and recent Harley setups, which are horrible. Having to use your right thumb whilst maintaining throttle position is just plain awkward and can be dangerous. Yeah, I got used to it but it was a case of "we can do it differently than the Japanese". BMW has finally got around to the same system as the Japanese bikes, not sure about Harley but I don't plan on getting another one at any rate.

Do any of our cars have self-cancelling signals? None of mine do, just a noisemaker but between the loud music and whatnot that doesn't do much good. In the first year I rode I very quickly learned to do a left-hand sweep of the thumb every 30 seconds where I press in the turn signal control to cancel it and verify the high beam is on (if during the day). I unconsciously do this all the time I am riding, every 20-30 seconds. That ensures the signal is off and the brightest light is on during daylight hours which just might keep me from getting hit. You can train yourself to do this just like you should train yourself to scan the road, the instruments, and everything else one has to do to ride a motorcycle well.

These days, cars are now being made to compensate for drivers who can't maintain lane discipline, drive whilst falling asleep, or can't seem to even watch the road or maintain a safe following distance. Honda's got a commercial out showing how their new safety system will notice if you are drifting out of your lane or following too close, or about to smash into something. There is even a camera that watches your eyes and if it fails to sense alertness, it will sound an alarm to wake you up. These systems use stereoscopic cameras and other sensors and will automatically put on the brakes or even correct steering input. Many cars these days have electric power steering and I can tell you that the brain to this system will take control or not respond to input if it thinks you are doing something stupid.

Cars these days are being built for unskilled, careless, distracted drivers who are preoccupied with texting or other such nonsense. The idea of actually paying attention to the road seems to have been superseded by the idea of building a car that is smarter than the driver.

A lot of motorcycles have ABS and traction control, many with a variety of ignition curve/fuel injection maps to select from several different engine styles. All this stuff does is give riders a false sense of security unless they really know its limitations. ABS does not help at all in a turn, for example, and an ABS-equipped bike will take longer to stop under most conditions than an expert rider can stop without it (My CB1100 does not have ABS).

A motorcycle is one of the few things left where a man or women still has to learn to think. That's the nature of the game; no airbags or computers to rescue you. Just learn to turn off the signal, it will become second nature after a while.
 
Back
Top