Seeking Trip Advice, Gulf coast to Texas.

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been considering the idea of a fairly big trip, maybe 2 or 3 days from Charleston, SC out to Texas, and i'm interested in taking advantage of either the Gulf Coast or an alternate route that will prove most enjoyable. Does anybody have any advice for riding in this direction during the Spring Season? landmarks to hit? Special roads (without going too far out of the way, I can only take 1 week off for this round trip, and want to bed down at least 2 or 3 nights at a final destination. )
 
Thread starter
I guess i could dip down to the panhandle initially. What i'm wondering is are the roads following the gulf coast better or are the back country hills farther inland better?
 
If you are going through Arkansas, I can recommend some great routes/attractions. Talimena Scenic Byway would probably not be too far out of the way, it heads west into Oklahoma. One of my favorite routes I've ridden.

And if you're riding the Talimena, might as well go through Hot Springs. Cool little town that's actually a National Park as well. Only a few functioning bath houses still, but lots to do and see there. They've got a nice brewery there on Bathhouse Row that uses the hot spring water for brewing, I'm quite partial to that place. Hot Springs is also a big biker town. The ride from there to Talimena Byway is a good one as well, you pass by lots of crystal shops. Garland county is known for its crystal mines.

And if you are maybe thinking that Arkansas is flat boring scenery, eastern half of the state is, yes. That’s the delta. The areas that I recommended are not. Quite hilly and scenic, especially in the spring.
 
Thread starter
I think Arkansas depends on just how far north I stray, but Oklahoma probably won't work if I'm shooting for the Dallas area. Good ideas guys. I'll keep watching for more.
 
Heard that. If you change your mind/find yourself further north than planned lemme know. I understand wanting to stick to the coast though.
 
Personally, I'd pick Eureka Springs, Arkansas rather than Dallas if I was just looking for a destination that was worthy of a long ride. But that's just me. Looking forward to seeing you flesh out your plans.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Personally, I'd pick Eureka Springs, Arkansas rather than Dallas if I was just looking for a destination that was worthy of a long ride. But that's just me. Looking forward to seeing you flesh out your plans.
YES. Then you could experience the best of what Arkansas has to offer. (Northwest/ north central)
 
Thread starter
I definitely see the appeal. I'm not *married* to running the coast, it was just the initial idea. after all, i'm not exactly starting in Jacksonville, i'm starting in Charleston, which is much farther north. a gradual northward shift, followed by a southward turn could work without overextending the miles given the amount of time i can pull together. If it becomes a 7 day trip, northern AR starts to come into range. it also gets easier to schedule if i commit to having fun on the way out, and slabbing it on the way back (no fun, but faster).

edit, just looked up some bits on Talimena Scenic dr....If i aim for Memphis, then start curving south, i should blow right through Hot Springs and down that way.
 
We ride talimena 2-4 times / yr, but we're on dirtbikes when we go. Nevertheless, there's a large gathering of street bikes that frequents tali.

a43c92262e40d0ab392deba24d3ee0a9.jpg


bc2390f07d0067db71b9b520b177c6f0.jpg
 
I'm just southwest of Dallas; why did you choose "Big D" as your destination? Maybe knowing that would help with suggestions.

If I were riding from Dallas to S Carolina, I would go to Houston/Galveston on the coast, across to New Orleans, Gulfport MS, Destin Fla, then to SC.

OR, a northern route through Arkansas, Tennessee, N Carolina to ride "The Tail of Dragon".

Let me know how I can help?
 
I made the trip from Houston to Savannah many times, taking a variety of routes. You could take 17 down to NW Savannah and pick up 280 around Pembroke. Nice road that takes you across GA. Pick up 27 in Richland taking that down to Dothan, Al.

Pick up US 84 in Dothan. Great road , very little traffic and it takes you through MS, LA and into TX south of Dallas. Natchez a historic town right on the river, then on to Natchitoches, La not from the TX border, another great small town with a lot of history.

84 would give you a lot of options, drop down and make your way to Biloxi/Gulfport or from Natchez or even earlier, starting working your way up to the Ozarks as mentioned by others.

If you’re wanting a more direct route to Dallas or Arkansas you could pick up US 80 in Statesville, Ga, a good ride also but busier going through Columbus and Montgomery. I’ve made the trip to your area a bunch of times, many good options.
 
Back
Top