seeking elipten's help

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I’m finally around the 600 mile mark (I probably have fewer miles on my bike than anyone on this forum!) so I’m looking for your input on what to do. I can go to 35 North Honda between SA and Austin, or pay you in a combination of beer, money, and assistance. Are you still on board for helping me out with this?
 
shd

If your bud doesn't show up, check out the HOW TO forum on how to do the 600 mile check. It is easy.
 
Two difficulties in changing the oil. Getting the old filter off can be troublesome in some cases. I had the "proper" filter attachment for the ratchet drive but it would not clear the pipes once loosened. Added an extra couple minutes.

Then you need to drain the oil into something and off to a recycle station.

Helps to have a nice funnel to pour the oil in with. Huge help there.

As you can see, no great show stoppers.
 
I arrive back in San Antonio tomorrow afternoon. Happy to help. PM me and we can arrange. You have your filter, washer and oil?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Nope! I'll go ahead and order it. Doing it this way satisfies warranty requirements if documented properly, correct?
Just keep the receipt and have then indicate CB1100 on it.
 
CIP57_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Nope! I'll go ahead and order it. Doing it this way satisfies warranty requirements if documented properly, correct?
Just keep the receipt and have then indicate CB1100 on it.
Just keep the receipt and have then indicate CB1100 on it.
and date of service and mileage
 
Thread starter
Well, thanks to the advice given by a very knowledgeable elipten, my CB has officially had its first service done! It all looked pretty good, but my chain had a *wee* bit a slack in it.

The new oil is nice, but I think what really woke the bike up is the removal of the tank stickers!

E's bike has some terrific farkles on it; I particularly like the red side covers. I believe I shall be following suit (although with the frame-covering '14 style covers).

Many thanks, Elipten!!
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Well, thanks to the advice given by a very knowledgeable elipten, my CB has officially had its first service done! It all looked pretty good, but my chain had a *wee* bit a slack in it.

The new oil is nice, but I think what really woke the bike up is the removal of the tank stickers!

E's bike has some terrific farkles on it; I particularly like the red side covers. I believe I shall be following suit (although with the frame-covering '14 style covers).

Many thanks, Elipten!!
Be sure to post pictures of the 2014 side covers on your bike!!!
 
Ferret. We used you reference post for the 600 mile service, so thank you. Cannot get the Honda filter cup in between the headers and the filter so just used channel locks to get it off. Kevin did all the work, I provided support. You know the give a man a fish, versus teach a man to fish concept. I did have to keep a close eye on my CB's carbon fiber bits!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yea on the 13s you have to come in from the left side. Big channel lock type tool is what I recommend as pictured in the How To.

Glad you taught him rather than do it for him. Next time he will have the know how to do it on his own, and will feel good about accomplishing it.
 
It was a good way to spend a Friday night. This morning I replaced the front and rear master cylinders and both engine cover bold rubber washers on my BMW.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
He had to keep an eye on the carbon bits, the luggage rack, the sliders, the headlight pulse modulator, but the hardest part was slipping off those rubber lever end thingies, riding my bike with that borrowed horsepower and putting them back before he noticed their absence! Eric is a great teacher and kept me focused. I think on that filter cup I'm going to chop it down to make it half the height. If it was just a bit shorter it would slip right past the headers!
 
Elipten_imp said:
Ferret. We used you reference post for the 600 mile service, so thank you. Cannot get the Honda filter cup in between the headers and the filter so just used channel locks to get it off. Kevin did all the work, I provided support. You know the give a man a fish, versus teach a man to fish concept. I did have to keep a close eye on my CB's carbon fiber bits!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's odd. I've done two changes on mine so far and used the cup both times. First, put the cup on the filter then attach a ratchet with an extension. Once you break it loose then remove the ratchet and cup to spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

That's using the standard 2.5" filter. If you've got a longer one, it probably won't fit.
 
The red handled tool in the bottom of this picture makes changing the filter on the stds a piece of cake. Available at auto zone type places I think.

 
Thread starter
That's what we ended up using. Stocker was on so tight that using the rubber strap was completely futile. Still, though, I already have the socket adapter for the filter, and I'd rather arm wrestle an alligator than try to return the thing at the dealership. Having it modified and ready to work on a CB will come in handy every 4000 miles, which is more often than anyone at that store!
Flynrider_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Ferret. We used you reference post for the 600 mile service, so thank you. Cannot get the Honda filter cup in between the headers and the filter so just used channel locks to get it off. Kevin did all the work, I provided support. You know the give a man a fish, versus teach a man to fish concept. I did have to keep a close eye on my CB's carbon fiber bits!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's odd. I've done two changes on mine so far and used the cup both times. First, put the cup on the filter then attach a ratchet with an extension. Once you break it loose then remove the ratchet and cup to spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

That's using the standard 2.5" filter. If you've got a longer one, it probably won't fit.
That's odd. I've done two changes on mine so far and used the cup both times. First, put the cup on the filter then attach a ratchet with an extension. Once you break it loose then remove the ratchet and cup to spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

That's using the standard 2.5" filter. If you've got a longer one, it probably won't fit.
Yours is likely a different brand. Mine sits pretty deep on the filter.

I could've put it on the new filter and used it to tighten; it would have stayed there for the next change! (Note: I don't recommend this practice)
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
That's what we ended up using. Stocker was on so tight that using the rubber strap was completely futile. Still, though, I already have the socket adapter for the filter, and I'd rather arm wrestle an alligator than try to return the thing at the dealership. Having it modified and ready to work on a CB will come in handy every 4000 miles, which is more often than anyone at that store!
Flynrider_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Ferret. We used you reference post for the 600 mile service, so thank you. Cannot get the Honda filter cup in between the headers and the filter so just used channel locks to get it off. Kevin did all the work, I provided support. You know the give a man a fish, versus teach a man to fish concept. I did have to keep a close eye on my CB's carbon fiber bits!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's odd. I've done two changes on mine so far and used the cup both times. First, put the cup on the filter then attach a ratchet with an extension. Once you break it loose then remove the ratchet and cup to spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

That's using the standard 2.5" filter. If you've got a longer one, it probably won't fit.
That's odd. I've done two changes on mine so far and used the cup both times. First, put the cup on the filter then attach a ratchet with an extension. Once you break it loose then remove the ratchet and cup to spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

That's using the standard 2.5" filter. If you've got a longer one, it probably won't fit.
Yours is likely a different brand. Mine sits pretty deep on the filter.

I could've put it on the new filter and used it to tighten; it would have stayed there for the next change! (Note: I don't recommend this practice)
Gotcha. I didn't consider that there were other brands. Mine is the $10 Honda part that came bundled with a filter. It doesn't stick out very much at all.
 
Back
Top