Second oil change in the books

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
After this last trip it was time to change the oil. I just went and serviced the whole bike as I showed in the How to do your own 600 mile service thread.

Only this time I let it drain for a couple hours while I cleaned the interior of my Civic. Also this time I held back 6 oz from the gallon so I didn't overfill it. Last time I put in an even gallon and the oil covered the site window. Wanted to avoid that this time. When all was said and done I added 2 of those ounces back in to bring it even with the top line. I will recheck after the first ride. So it looks like 4 oz short of a gallon fills mine with filter change.

Throttle play was still good at 4 mm. Neither crankcase pressure drain tubes had any fluid in them. I did adjust the chain the tiniest bit, maybe 1/8" which I probably could have skipped. There are no tight spots I could find. All lights are still functioning properly.

I did notice my front tire was beginning to exhibit some slight cupping on each side of center. I checked pressure before the trip..36 lbs, and when I checked it today, also 36 pounds. I added 2 pounds to the front to bring it to 38 pounds. Will see if that helps. Back still measured 42, same as before the trip, and looked fine other than a slight flattening in the center which is to be expected.

Ready for another 4,000 miles now, at which time the rear tire will probably be toast, and maybe the front as well if the cupping continues.
 
Thread starter
I grabbed he wrong jug yesterday when I picked it up and got 10w40 instead of 10w30. No biggie. Not much difference between the two, and the temp ranges they are good for overlap. I run enough miles that the lighter weight will be back in there before fall.
 
Mr. Ferret, I am a weird man with OCD who keeps the ear close to the engine every now and then to check for sounds all the time. do you feel the engine is running quieter with the heavier oil..? I am currently on 10w30..
 
Thread starter
wildezt_imp said:
Mr. Ferret, I am a weird man with OCD who keeps the ear close to the engine every now and then to check for sounds all the time. do you feel the engine is running quieter with the heavier oil..? I am currently on 10w30..
Nope
 
wildezt_imp said:
Mr. Ferret, I am a weird man with OCD who keeps the ear close to the engine every now and then to check for sounds all the time. do you feel the engine is running quieter with the heavier oil..? I am currently on 10w30..
get a length of heater hose and hold one end up to your ear and the other end up to the engine in various places, like a doctor and stethoscope. You'll hear sounds you've never heard before.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
Mr. Ferret, I am a weird man with OCD who keeps the ear close to the engine every now and then to check for sounds all the time. do you feel the engine is running quieter with the heavier oil..? I am currently on 10w30..
get a length of heater hose and hold one end up to your ear and the other end up to the engine in various places, like a doctor and stethoscope. You'll hear sounds you've never heard before.
get a length of heater hose and hold one end up to your ear and the other end up to the engine in various places, like a doctor and stethoscope. You'll hear sounds you've never heard before.
so am not the only one...its an epidemic.. :D
 
Back
Top