Second commute to work

The weather looks fantastic for riding.

Bit of a tough call, but I think this belongs in the CB1100 Videos Forum.
 
562loosenoodle_imp said:
So I got to take my CB1100 to work the past two days (thank you Southern California weather)

Here is a video of that ride.

Enjoyed the vicarious ride into the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.
Splitting traffic is a good reason to not have bar end mirrors!
 
562loosenoodle_imp said:
So I got to take my CB1100 to work the past two days (thank you Southern California weather)

Here is a video of that ride.

Splitting lanes = dangerous:huh:
 
I reckon it would be definitely in the GTA.

It would take years for [gaw damn stupid] GTA motorists to get used to the fact which = probably 100's of motorcyclist fatalities.
 
Thread starter
While splitting lanes does have it’s risks, like anything, I try my best to mitigate the risk. I ride within my ability. When cars are stopped on both sides of me I slow down. There are other things you can do to survive Los Angeles traffic.

Many cage commuters try and give you room to filter. On the weekends I hate splitting lanes. The drivers tend to forget bikes filter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I spent 53 years of my almost 72 in SoCal.
Lane splitting ("lane sharing") is legal and most motorists will move over a bit for motorcycles to travel between number one and number two lanes.

Many a time I followed a motor officer (CHP, sheriff or LAPD) between #1 and #2 lanes.

Not likely to get rear ended while lane splitting.

My 1976 CB750F had the stock mirrors inverted under the handlebars to easier clear truck and van mirrors.
 
562loosenoodle_imp said:
So I got to take my CB1100 to work the past two days (thank you Southern California weather)

Here is a video of that ride.

welcome to the club! i run a 30 minute commute each way every day in South Carolina myself. I would post today's commute, but honestly, they're all the same :-p.
 
That looks lovely .. was 26 degrees when I left for work this morning ( 38 miles each way). Beautiful sun and clear sky though.

Will be a balmy 40 degrees this afternoon for the return home .

Nice video ... The CB is a pleasure to commute on !

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am jealous. Your highways look sooo empty. Jeez. (... and you have nice riding weather) (... and you get to lane split)
Loosenoodle's commute was after 10am, well after the morning rush, so it isn't the normal crush. Lucky guy! My commute was along some of the same route to be at work by 8:30, and it never looked that good except between Christmas and New Years.

At the beginning of the clip, riding between the two pairs of yellow lines is technically illegal, although most of the CHP officers I ask about it say they don't enforce it.
 
geezalou, I don't know how you guys do it. At 7:15 until the end of that vid it just made me cringe
 
Cool vid, loosenoodle. Welcome to the CB commuter club. Here's a new lane-splitting perspective from my commute this morning:


 
Good luck to all lane splitters...
...as I already said, lane splitting = dangerous, this is my personal opinion. I do not question what particular law/regulation says about it.

From both video clips, both of you doing too fast, easy 30 mils/h if not faster = dangerous, as far as lane splitting is concerned

To be even more democratic with the point of view, read this articles;
the good, the bad and the ugly..

https://fortnine.ca/en/lane-splitting-in-canada-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

or this one:

http://www.motorcycling.ca/wp-conte...e-Splitting-and-Lane-Filtering-Fact-Sheet.pdf

and here in California:

Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds

My idea is: ride safe, arrive alive, especially on the bike, regardless of law, regulations, road conditions & traffic circumstances.

:)
 
pekingduck_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am jealous. Your highways look sooo empty. Jeez. (... and you have nice riding weather) (... and you get to lane split)
Loosenoodle's commute was after 10am, well after the morning rush, so it isn't the normal crush. Lucky guy! My commute was along some of the same route to be at work by 8:30, and it never looked that good except between Christmas and New Years.

At the beginning of the clip, riding between the two pairs of yellow lines is technically illegal, although most of the CHP officers I ask about it say they don't enforce it.
And I have followed CHP between those lines many times.
peterbaron_imp said:
Good luck to all lane splitters...
...as I already said, lane splitting = dangerous, this is my personal opinion. I do not question what particular law/regulation says about it.

From both video clips, both of you doing too fast, easy 30 mils/h if not faster = dangerous, as far as lane splitting is concerned

To be even more democratic with the point of view, read this articles;
the good, the bad and the ugly..

https://fortnine.ca/en/lane-splitting-in-canada-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

or this one:

http://www.motorcycling.ca/wp-conte...e-Splitting-and-Lane-Filtering-Fact-Sheet.pdf

and here in California:

Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds

My idea is: ride safe, arrive alive, especially on the bike, regardless of law, regulations, road conditions & traffic circumstances.

:)
Peter, I appreciate your concern, but it always looks faster on video than it feels behind the handlebars. It seemed about the same pace as I used to do (have not ridden in SoCal traffic since March). Neither of my two crashes since 1963 were due to lane splitting.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I am jealous. Your highways look sooo empty. Jeez. (... and you have nice riding weather) (... and you get to lane split)
Loosenoodle's commute was after 10am, well after the morning rush, so it isn't the normal crush. Lucky guy! My commute was along some of the same route to be at work by 8:30, and it never looked that good except between Christmas and New Years.

At the beginning of the clip, riding between the two pairs of yellow lines is technically illegal, although most of the CHP officers I ask about it say they don't enforce it.
And I have followed CHP between those lines many times.
peterbaron_imp said:
Good luck to all lane splitters...
...as I already said, lane splitting = dangerous, this is my personal opinion. I do not question what particular law/regulation says about it.

From both video clips, both of you doing too fast, easy 30 mils/h if not faster = dangerous, as far as lane splitting is concerned

To be even more democratic with the point of view, read this articles;
the good, the bad and the ugly..

https://fortnine.ca/en/lane-splitting-in-canada-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

or this one:

http://www.motorcycling.ca/wp-conte...e-Splitting-and-Lane-Filtering-Fact-Sheet.pdf

and here in California:

Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds

My idea is: ride safe, arrive alive, especially on the bike, regardless of law, regulations, road conditions & traffic circumstances.

:)
Peter, I appreciate your concern, but it always looks faster on video than it feels behind the handlebars. It seemed about the same pace as I used to do (have not ridden in SoCal traffic since March). Neither of my two crashes since 1963 were due to lane splitting.
And I have followed CHP between those lines many times.
peterbaron_imp said:
Good luck to all lane splitters...
...as I already said, lane splitting = dangerous, this is my personal opinion. I do not question what particular law/regulation says about it.

From both video clips, both of you doing too fast, easy 30 mils/h if not faster = dangerous, as far as lane splitting is concerned

To be even more democratic with the point of view, read this articles;
the good, the bad and the ugly..

https://fortnine.ca/en/lane-splitting-in-canada-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

or this one:

http://www.motorcycling.ca/wp-conte...e-Splitting-and-Lane-Filtering-Fact-Sheet.pdf

and here in California:

Lane-splitting is safe, but with speed comes danger, study finds

My idea is: ride safe, arrive alive, especially on the bike, regardless of law, regulations, road conditions & traffic circumstances.

:)
Peter, I appreciate your concern, but it always looks faster on video than it feels behind the handlebars. It seemed about the same pace as I used to do (have not ridden in SoCal traffic since March). Neither of my two crashes since 1963 were due to lane splitting.
:)
 
Quote:Good luck to all lane splitters...
...as I already said, lane splitting = dangerous, this is my personal opinion. I do not question what particular law/regulation says about it.

From both video clips, both of you doing too fast, easy 30 mils/h if not faster = dangerous, as far as lane splitting is concerned
No need to guess my speed....it's displayed in the lower right of the screen. I never exceeded 35mph....most of it was in the 20's (readout in in kph, i need to change that).

I almost never split over 40mph, but the most important part is your relative speed to other traffic (delta). I think things get sketchy at a delta exceeding 10mph and that is right where the guidelines say should be your max.

It definitely looks faster on the playback, though.
 
When I was commuting on my V-Strom through downtown L.A, I was more cautious and almost never split lanes when traffic was above 35 mph. Traffic was below 20mph and lanes were narrower, and no carpool lane.
To keep myself from going too fast I would force myself to keep it in 1st or lug it in 2nd gear for the couple miles before it opened up. It wasn't as quick, but it was way, way less stressful, and a whole lot safer.
 
Back
Top