Second commute to work

... and it keeps air flowin' through the mane of the cylinder head.
egleaves_imp said:
Cool vid, loosenoodle. Welcome to the CB commuter club. Here's a new lane-splitting perspective from my commute this morning:


Almost sounds like something circling the drain. :)
 
A lawyer once told me that lane splitting in CA is neither legal or illegal. I generally try and avoid lane splitting but sometimes you must move especially during heavy traffic. I always try and go only as fast as I can reasonably react to a vehicle cutting in front of me. Lane splitting gets a bad reputation because a lot of guys simply ride way too fast in between cars scaring drivers and getting themselves into unnecessary accidents.
 
Thread starter
I also stop splitting when traffic gets to 35 or 40. And when traffic is stopped I slow down even more.

My job doesn’t require me to arrive at a specific time. So no need to rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
562loosenoodle_imp said:
I also stop splitting when traffic gets to 35 or 40. And when traffic is stopped I slow down even more.

My job doesn’t require me to arrive at a specific time. So no need to rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great! Slow and easy is the best way. Here is a sample youtube vid of the "wrong" way to lane split and consequence.
 
All the comments gives me a new, more reasonable perspective of lane splitters. In my region, it is still illegal and likely will be for the foreseeable future. Hence, it will continue to be scorned at here.
 
Guaza14_imp said:
562loosenoodle_imp said:
I also stop splitting when traffic gets to 35 or 40. And when traffic is stopped I slow down even more.

My job doesn’t require me to arrive at a specific time. So no need to rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great! Slow and easy is the best way. Here is a sample youtube vid of the "wrong" way to lane split and consequence.
every time I envision lane splitting...that's what I envision.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guaza14_imp said:
562loosenoodle_imp said:
I also stop splitting when traffic gets to 35 or 40. And when traffic is stopped I slow down even more.

My job doesn’t require me to arrive at a specific time. So no need to rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great! Slow and easy is the best way. Here is a sample youtube vid of the "wrong" way to lane split and consequence.
every time I envision lane splitting...that's what I envision.
every time I envision lane splitting...that's what I envision.
I come up behind that lane change maneuver almost every day. If he had maintained a delta of 10 or less he would have been able to avoid that.

Maintain proper relative speed and watch those gaps!
 
Splitting/filtering is legal here but only when traffic is moving at 30 kph or less. You are limited to 30 kph while doing it.
 
Guaza14_imp said:
A lawyer once told me that lane splitting in CA is neither legal or illegal. I generally try and avoid lane splitting but sometimes you must move especially during heavy traffic. I always try and go only as fast as I can reasonably react to a vehicle cutting in front of me. Lane splitting gets a bad reputation because a lot of guys simply ride way too fast in between cars scaring drivers and getting themselves into unnecessary accidents.
Lets consider this typical scenerio in California where lane splitting is neither legal or illegal:
* on a two lane hwy, traffic is moving slowly at 15 miles/hr. A motorcyclist is splitting lanes with the speed of 18 miles/hr. Two drivers checked their mirrors and their cars, at the same time, swung 1 foot closer to the center line to check traffic ahead. Motorcyclist jams between 2 cars, falls down and due to his injury becomes paralyzed from chest down.
* All parties have witnesses on their side.
* The question is: who is guilty?

This is why, I've never split lanes and ever will.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guaza14_imp said:
562loosenoodle_imp said:
I also stop splitting when traffic gets to 35 or 40. And when traffic is stopped I slow down even more.

My job doesn’t require me to arrive at a specific time. So no need to rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great! Slow and easy is the best way. Here is a sample youtube vid of the "wrong" way to lane split and consequence.
every time I envision lane splitting...that's what I envision.
every time I envision lane splitting...that's what I envision.
Yikes! ... man.

That is the same stretch of highway where I saw the helmetless, eyewearless HD rider barely keep it together against the wind.
peterbaron_imp said:
Guaza14_imp said:
A lawyer once told me that lane splitting in CA is neither legal or illegal. I generally try and avoid lane splitting but sometimes you must move especially during heavy traffic. I always try and go only as fast as I can reasonably react to a vehicle cutting in front of me. Lane splitting gets a bad reputation because a lot of guys simply ride way too fast in between cars scaring drivers and getting themselves into unnecessary accidents.
Lets consider this typical scenerio in California where lane splitting is neither legal or illegal:
* on a two lane hwy, traffic is moving slowly at 15 miles/hr. A motorcyclist is splitting lanes with the speed of 18 miles/hr. Two drivers checked their mirrors and their cars, at the same time, swung 1 foot closer to the center line to check traffic ahead. Motorcyclist jams between 2 cars, falls down and due to his injury becomes paralyzed from chest down.
* All parties have witnesses on their side.
* The question is: who is guilty?

This is why, I've never split lanes and ever will.
Lets consider this typical scenerio in California where lane splitting is neither legal or illegal:
* on a two lane hwy, traffic is moving slowly at 15 miles/hr. A motorcyclist is splitting lanes with the speed of 18 miles/hr. Two drivers checked their mirrors and their cars, at the same time, swung 1 foot closer to the center line to check traffic ahead. Motorcyclist jams between 2 cars, falls down and due to his injury becomes paralyzed from chest down.
* All parties have witnesses on their side.
* The question is: who is guilty?

This is why, I've never split lanes and ever will.
Maybe the best example of lane splitting is when all automobile traffic is stopped at a red light ... and like in Italy, France, etc. m/c's and scooters can move up sort of thing.
 
Back
Top