Seats redux : Tiros vs K&H from samurider

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
OK friends,

While I don't hate the factory seat, I think I will need to upgrade for longterm comfort. I've narrowed it down to the Tiros-K and the KandH hi.

The Tiros-K seems like a thicker padded old school Honda factory type of seat, maybe similar to the OEM seat just thicker and cushier? Anybody who owns one care to comment?

The KandH looks interesting, but not sure what type of feel it would have with the "injection sponge". I'm envisioning a Sargent World Sport type of seat that is initially very hard but slowly custom conforms to your bum. I found that this type of seat on my old DR650 got very comfortable over time. I see there is a weight setting for the hardness of sponge...it that pure rider weight or estimated pressure on the seat counting the weight borne on the pegs and handlebars?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Scott

PS - yes I did the search function before asking the questions!
 
I haven't had my K&H Hi for very long (only a couple weeks) so I can't say how it will break in, but I do find it more comfortable for all day riding. It is firmer than stock, of course taller, and also a bit wider so it disperses the pressure a little differently. I don't find myself sliding forward nearly as much either. I still do need to take breaks, but I generally do anyway every hour or so for one reason or another (fuel, food, etc.). Personally I think it is the best looking seat available bar none, the construction quality is top notch, and it doesn't hurt that I was lucky enough to find a mint used one for my '13 at less than half price! :banana:
 
I have the K&H Solo which I had made for 210 lb rider. Not only is the foam firmer than the stock seat, the seat pan is stiffer and doesn't flex.

The "injection sponge" isn't anything exotic. The foam material is injected into a mold through holes in the bottom of the seat pan and then the cover is stretched over the whole assembly and stapled to the base.

I think that K&H is using a nice soft foam sheet under the seating area which adds a bit of cushion. They have to on any of the tuck and roll treatments, but I feel a bit more than the 1/4-1/2 inch foam sheet you need for a tuck and roll or pleated cover. Most motorcycle seat covers don't have the extra layer of foam attached to the underside of the cover. That's something you see more commonly on auto upholstery.
 
I picked up a used Kiros seat and find it more comfortable than the stock seat. I don't think I would make it more than a couple hours without stopping to rest though but that is better than the 45 minute limit of the stock one. It is taller and wider than stock and looks like it is built on a stock seat pan.
 
Thread starter
Just learned from Takashi that the Tiros-K is out of stock with no known ETA on backorder. Guess that makes my decision a bit easier haha
 
Ohh noooo! While I had no complaints about the stock seat for the average weekend 250-300 mi ride, my recent road trip had me thinking about a classic flat seat. After about 5 or 6 hours I found my butt was getting sore, particularly in the area where stock seat slopes down at the sides. I had been reviewing all of the forum posts on seats and was just about to pull the trigger on a Tiros-K. Now I'm bummed :(
 
I am finding the Tiros-K has me hurting at about 1.5-2 hours into a ride (stock seat was 45 minutes to an hour). So, now I'm thinking I will be pursuing a Corbin in the future and probably a few other things to help with overall ergonomics. This one is still great for my 1 hour commute.
 
If you end up getting the Corbin, PM me about your old Tiros.

Just heard from Takashi today. He spoke with the manufacturer and the Tiros-K has been discontinued. No seat for you!!!

Next up on the radar are the Daytona Cozy or maybe the Honda '14 DLX seat.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
OK friends,

While I don't hate the factory seat, I think I will need to upgrade for longterm comfort. I've narrowed it down to the Tiros-K and the KandH hi.

The Tiros-K seems like a thicker padded old school Honda factory type of seat, maybe similar to the OEM seat just thicker and cushier? Anybody who owns one care to comment?

The KandH looks interesting, but not sure what type of feel it would have with the "injection sponge". I'm envisioning a Sargent World Sport type of seat that is initially very hard but slowly custom conforms to your bum. I found that this type of seat on my old DR650 got very comfortable over time. I see there is a weight setting for the hardness of sponge...it that pure rider weight or estimated pressure on the seat counting the weight borne on the pegs and handlebars?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Scott

PS - yes I did the search function before asking the questions!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Ohh noooo! While I had no complaints about the stock seat for the average weekend 250-300 mi ride, my recent road trip had me thinking about a classic flat seat. After about 5 or 6 hours I found my butt was getting sore, particularly in the area where stock seat slopes down at the sides. I had been reviewing all of the forum posts on seats and was just about to pull the trigger on a Tiros-K. Now I'm bummed :(
By a seat? Brilliant pun, Flyn! :beerchug:
 
To be honest, I did hate the stock seat. I was wondering if I'd made the wrong decision buying a cb1100. Like other reports, constant sliding forward and buttache after 40 mins. It's very hard to buy an after market seat without trying one but I took the plunge and bought a Daytona from Takashi. Have had it for 3 months and couldn't be happier.
 
I was lurking some other forums yesterday and found it quite interesting that no matter what model motorcycle forum I surfed, the two most common complaints were hard seats and buffeting windshields.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I was lurking some other forums yesterday and found it quite interesting that no matter what model motorcycle forum I surfed, the two most common complaints were hard seats and buffeting windshields.
Just from reading the bike mags it appears that no bike manufacturer can make a seat that is worth a darn. Or maybe they are in cahoots with the seat companies :D
 
I think it comes down to unit cost. The bike manufactures have to set a budget for it and it is likely low on the priority list.
 
It used to be that standard bike seats were wide and flat, but style wise, they weren't that pretty. I think the trend toward less comfortable motorcycle seats has been mostly because they've tried to make them look cooler. Trying to conform the seat to the lines of the bike seems to result in generally thinner, less flat seats.
 
I'd go retro and ugly given a choice.
 
I find the seat on my 2013 quite comfy once it was broken in. My Moto Guzzi Breva had the best seat, OE or custom I ever sat, comfortable for all day rides. Worst seat was on a 2012 Bonnie SE, a certifiable torture device. I have never sat behind a screen that was quiet and will probably not remount the Puig this winter.
 
Moto Guzzi seems to have figured out seats (too bad they haven't figured out electrics ha ha). Best stock seat I have ever ridden a long distance on was my brothers Eldorado. Truly all day comfortable. My brother said the seat on the new Eldorado is great too.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I find the seat on my 2013 quite comfy once it was broken in. My Moto Guzzi Breva had the best seat, OE or custom I ever sat, comfortable for all day rides. Worst seat was on a 2012 Bonnie SE, a certifiable torture device. I have never sat behind a screen that was quiet and will probably not remount the Puig this winter.
Mine is getting better with time, as well. That, or my rear end is toughening up!
 
Back
Top