Seat staple damaging tank

I like this forum. There are a lot of good people here. Haven't met anyone here except for Eric, who was as decent as it gets, but I feel like I kind of "know" some of you. pdedse seems like a brother from another mother. I feel a degree of ease and familiarity with him that is downright inexplicable. mickey is like the wise uncle I never had. Cormanus is the cool, detached friend from the coolest place on earth, the guy who knows everything, who's been there and done that. Nothing bothers him. Guth is the Ghost of Christmas Past, or Gandalf, or Brian the Dog from Family Guy. Can't quite pin it it down. Sage, but with an underlying edge.

Yep, I like it here. Comfortable. Homey. I check in every day. Probably always will.
 
"Guth is the Ghost of Christmas Past ... "

lol - that will take a bit of time to cleanse out of my mind. :)

Not to compete by any means, Guth to me is like the Forum Godfather, but without the violence. :)

= = =

Good stuff Veal.
 
:worship: Thanks virtual nephew :thanks:
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
I like this forum. There are a lot of good people here. Haven't met anyone here except for Eric, who was as decent as it gets, but I feel like I kind of "know" some of you. pdedse seems like a brother from another mother. I feel a degree of ease and familiarity with him that is downright inexplicable. mickey is like the wise uncle I never had. Cormanus is the cool, detached friend from the coolest place on earth, the guy who knows everything, who's been there and done that. Nothing bothers him. Guth is the Ghost of Christmas Past, or Gandalf, or Brian the Dog from Family Guy. Can't quite pin it it down. Sage, but with an underlying edge.

Yep, I like it here. Comfortable. Homey. I check in every day. Probably always will.
Cool!! I have 3 brothers, and so if you're joining, and with me that makes five. All together I think we could take on my four sisters on the basketball court. : )

And I'll add if any of the new forum members have never read VLJ's reviews of the 2017 CB1100ex, you should do a search for them.
:biker:...:biker:
 
Hear, hear to VLC’s reviews. They’re a wonderful read.
 
:rofl:

Or your video streaming app.
 
Thread starter
Back when I had the idle issue on my '14 standard, I spent a good deal of time with Honda Customer Service. They were always nice and all, but their answer was consistent: take it to the dealer and let's start there.

Since I had a few letters already written from that experience, I decided to edit one of them with the details of this "loose staple / paint scratch" issue and sent it off electronically to Honda. In my letter I included the photos I posted here, and stated that the dealers were a good 30-40 minutes away (they are) and that my request was simple: would Honda consider sending me a bottle of the touch-up paint at no charge? They are consistent, so their response was not surprising.

Dear Mr. _____,

Thank you for contacting American Honda Powersports Customer Support. We are sorry to hear that you are found such an issue with your motorcycle. We understand your request for a bit of touch up paint to prevent rust from happening. We recommend that you reach out to an authorized Honda Powersports dealership that is more local to you for assistance with addressing your concern. Pro Caliber’s Longview Motorsports appears to be about 15 miles away, located at 10703 NE Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98662. They can be reached by phone at (360) 892-3030. Your satisfaction and goodwill are important to your dealer and to American Honda. Normally, any problems (such as this paint concern) will be handled by the dealership service department. A member of the dealership management such as the service manager may be able to resolve your concern. Beyond that, if you have any further comments or questions about this response, please feel free to call us at (866) 784-1870, Mon-Fri 8:30AM – 4:30PM PST. Thank you.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.

Fair enough. I've been wanting to visit this dealership to see some new bikes, so the next nice day I may head over there to purchase some oil n filter, check out bikes and show them the scratch, repeat my request for a bottle of paint, see what they say. I can order it for about $22 shipped, but I'd like to give them the chance to see it. I don't mind taking the time; I like to see how companies respond. I think I paid $400 extra for 5 year warranty, so maybe I can get $22 out of it.

:cool:
 
Why do people ‘reach out’ these days rather than ‘make contact’ or ‘talk to’?

Good luck, pdedse.
 
I don't reach out any more.

I check in, touch base, circle back, or ping.
 
Thread starter
An update...I may have mentioned that I did put tape on the damaged area, I tapped the staple back in with a mallet and covered the area with tape. I wrote a message to Honda CS and they said "visit your local dealer". So I held off ordering the touch up paint simply because I was curious whether a dealership would follow through.

This morning I rode my '17ex over to Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA to request a free bottle / pen of touch-up paint. The service guy initially told me "if Honda accepts the request, they'll just give you a new tank because we won't repaint it".

It's funny...sometimes when you make a simple request, people seem to hear you want the whole ball of wax. I told him I wasn't interested in a paint job, a new tank...I simply wanted some touch up paint at no cost because the bike was under warranty and I thought the staple shouldn't have come loose like it did. "oh...well, let's take a look" ...he walked out with me and I took the tank off, and he snapped a few photos and again mentioned repainting the tank...I said, really, I just want touch up paint and I'm good.

We went back inside and after waiting a half hour (which wasn't a problem checking out new bikes, oh my, the Kawasaki W800 in blue is gorgeous!) I finally gave up and told him I had to leave for work. He said he was having trouble with part number, so I gave that to him and he was happy about that and I left. An hour later he called and said they ordered a pen of ink which should arrive in 2 weeks, free of charge.

I've had good experiences with this dealership several times now. Sometimes we might complain about a dealership for this or that, but this was a small detail and they deserve a positive shout out.
 
Good deal. Yea some dealers aren't so bad. Glad it's going to work out for you
 
pdedse_imp said:
An update...I may have mentioned that I did put tape on the damaged area, I tapped the staple back in with a mallet and covered the area with tape. I wrote a message to Honda CS and they said "visit your local dealer". So I held off ordering the touch up paint simply because I was curious whether a dealership would follow through.

This morning I rode my '17ex over to Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA to request a free bottle / pen of touch-up paint. The service guy initially told me "if Honda accepts the request, they'll just give you a new tank because we won't repaint it".

It's funny...sometimes when you make a simple request, people seem to hear you want the whole ball of wax. I told him I wasn't interested in a paint job, a new tank...I simply wanted some touch up paint at no cost because the bike was under warranty and I thought the staple shouldn't have come loose like it did. "oh...well, let's take a look" ...he walked out with me and I took the tank off, and he snapped a few photos and again mentioned repainting the tank...I said, really, I just want touch up paint and I'm good.

We went back inside and after waiting a half hour (which wasn't a problem checking out new bikes, oh my, the Kawasaki W800 in blue is gorgeous!) I finally gave up and told him I had to leave for work. He said he was having trouble with part number, so I gave that to him and he was happy about that and I left. An hour later he called and said they ordered a pen of ink which should arrive in 2 weeks, free of charge.

I've had good experiences with this dealership several times now. Sometimes we might complain about a dealership for this or that, but this was a small detail and they deserve a positive shout out.
I feel like I would've pushed for a new tank, just to see what happens, since the bike is under warranty.

Free touchup paint is the easy way out for them, but at least you got what you wanted
 
Thread starter
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
An update...I may have mentioned that I did put tape on the damaged area, I tapped the staple back in with a mallet and covered the area with tape. I wrote a message to Honda CS and they said "visit your local dealer". So I held off ordering the touch up paint simply because I was curious whether a dealership would follow through.

This morning I rode my '17ex over to Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA to request a free bottle / pen of touch-up paint. The service guy initially told me "if Honda accepts the request, they'll just give you a new tank because we won't repaint it".

It's funny...sometimes when you make a simple request, people seem to hear you want the whole ball of wax. I told him I wasn't interested in a paint job, a new tank...I simply wanted some touch up paint at no cost because the bike was under warranty and I thought the staple shouldn't have come loose like it did. "oh...well, let's take a look" ...he walked out with me and I took the tank off, and he snapped a few photos and again mentioned repainting the tank...I said, really, I just want touch up paint and I'm good.

We went back inside and after waiting a half hour (which wasn't a problem checking out new bikes, oh my, the Kawasaki W800 in blue is gorgeous!) I finally gave up and told him I had to leave for work. He said he was having trouble with part number, so I gave that to him and he was happy about that and I left. An hour later he called and said they ordered a pen of ink which should arrive in 2 weeks, free of charge.

I've had good experiences with this dealership several times now. Sometimes we might complain about a dealership for this or that, but this was a small detail and they deserve a positive shout out.
I feel like I would've pushed for a new tank, just to see what happens, since the bike is under warranty.

Free touchup paint is the easy way out for them, but at least you got what you wanted
Perhaps if the scratch had gotten big, or if it were visible with seat in place...definitely. What I really wanted was to see how they would respond, as there's a decent chance I'll buy a bike from them in the future. I figure if they treat people decently in the small things, then that's a good sign. I get a different vibe from another dealership.
 
Isn’t this (nearly) always the case. Be nice, be reasonable, explain what the problem is and how you would appreciate it being resolved and often it is. If you went there like an angry a-hole you’d have got nothing. Yes, possibly you could jump up and down, rant online to whoever would listen and insist on a new tank and if you made enough noise and all that Honda America might swap the tank just to shut you up and make it go away. Unpleasant though. Glad it went well for you it’s nice to hear something positive.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Isn’t this (nearly) always the case. Be nice, be reasonable, explain what the problem is and how you would appreciate it being resolved and often it is. If you went there like an angry a-hole you’d have got nothing. Yes, possibly you could jump up and down, rant online to whoever would listen and insist on a new tank and if you made enough noise and all that Honda America might swap the tank just to shut you up and make it go away. Unpleasant though. Glad it went well for you it’s nice to hear something positive.
Sometimes it doesn't work too. My 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 was off the road for 60 continuous days while the dealer tried to fix a non starting problem. The bike was 18 months old still in warranty but I had to chase Triumph UK for action and I was polite, forgiving, patient and all that. I wont bore you with all the detail but when I finally got my bike back I got no apology, no goodwill gesture or anything from Triumph. I was pretty upset I can tell you. In some US States I could of invoked the "Lemon Law" but no such thing here in Ireland. The problem was not self inflicted or crash related, it was a genuine electronics component failure that they just could not diagnose.

I really like the Triumph brand and own two today. I absolutely love the ride I get from the Tiger 1200 and I would of been in the market for its replacement which is slated for release this year. I just don't think I can reward a company that really didn't give a crap about me though, they have lost a repeat customer.
 
Back
Top