SE Ohio ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
This past Thur to Sun I was supposed to take my family doctor/friend/motorcycle riding/hunting buddy riding over in SE Ohio. He has been my family doctor for 36 years, ever since the day he walked in my motorcycle shop with a rare part he needed a replacement for. Seemed I was the only one he had found that knew what it was and where to get one. When I did, he asked "Do you need a doctor?" I did. So he became my doctor and we became friends. I sold him my 69 BSA Rocket 3 one winter when I needed a tank fuel oil to heat the house for my wife and two young children and being poor, had no money. He has had a zillion cool bikes over the years and currently owns a KTM 990, a Ducati Multistrada, and a BMW S1000

Anyhow, I know some great places to stay ride and eat over there, and he wanted to get in some away riding time. I planned the whole thing, got the rooms etc. At 6;30 PM the night before we were to leave, he developed heart issues and was taken to the hospital. The trip seemed in question. My buddy Jim who I had ridden to California with, and who had given up bikes completely a couple years ago, and had written this thread about,

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3973&highlight=quitting

had just bought a used BMW R1200GS 3 days earlier and had emailed me about it. (I knew he couldn't give it up). So I called him to see if he would join me. He waffled a bit because he hadn't ridden in a while and his wife was nervous about him taking a trip on an unfamiliar bike after just 3 days of ownership, but decided "what the hey"? and met me in Marietta, Ohio at noon on Thursday.

We had a great 3 days of riding (and eating) on some of the finest roads se Ohio/nw West Virginia has to offer.

On Thur afternoon we did the southern half of Ohio's famous Tripple Nickel (555) and rt 676 to rt 7 and back to the hotel. 288 miles for me today

Friday we ventured into W Va and did 47/33-119/16, and 2, crossed back into Ohio at the bridge in New Martinsville (the Ferry at Sistersville W VA which we normally would have taken back across the Ohio River was shut down for engine repair) and stopped and ate at the Riverside Cafe in Fly, then back down 7 to Marietta OMG what a loop. 277 miles today.

Saturday we stayed back in Ohio taking Rts 26/800/7/255/800/26/145 to the Historic Beallsville Diner, then back 145 to 78 to 800 in Woodsfield, Ohio where Jim had to peel off and head home. I stayed on 800 back to 26 and took 26 back to the hotel. A jacuzzi back at the hotel had my name on it and it was divine after a 171 mile day of curves.

This morning I packed up early and got on the road taking 7/50 and 32 back thru picturesque southern Ohio, and made it home in time to watch the British MotoGP. 197 miles for me today.

Weather was about perfect...a little nippy in the mornings (low 50's) to very comfortable upper 70's in the afternoon. Sunny skies all 4 days. 932 miles over the 4 days for me.

some pics

f0ea86b5c6b92dbce76082d887d876fb.jpg


e599fc812f16a2fad506bb8a38614865.jpg


c173795a9002f0fcee0e7d97408a8247.jpg


7c6ad04704b7546fb8dfad2c4554409d.jpg


630cfb79ce21c3241cc4d7d291500ace.jpg


556bf3c06e8c1d0d09b1400cd6d81497.jpg


f649444ad7a0c2c3c0eebec42e1cb8ef.jpg


This concrete truck driver had a bad day

45cc9b6ca19e079c008c491a4f5dc2fd.jpg


Going Home

b816498aa8c1e07f7aeff064641737ca.jpg


I will add a pic of the map routes in a bit

Seriously anyone looking to have a great time riding hilly curves for a few days, could find a lot of worse places to ride than Ohio/W Va. If you need some advice, give me a shout.
 
Thread starter
Here's the map

Thursday we did the green loop, Friday the blue loop, and Saturday a modified version of the orange loop

67d517d082b558988a6fec34ecfc9284.jpg


This btw is a modified/shortened version of the Fall's Men's Trip we did last September.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Mariott in Marietta, clean, very reasonable, inside pool, jacuzzi and free breakfast and very centrally located for our rides.

This year the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc) was having a rally on these same roads and were staying in a hotel about 1/2 mile away. Must have had 200 bikes parking in the hotel lot every morning and evening. Quite the sight.
 
At least another 1,000 mils on the ST? Hope your doctor friend is OK.

Does Jim like the new bike after 3 days on it?
 
Thread starter
Yep another milestone pic posted lol. That's 3 this month for the ST. 8/8 94,000 8/21 95,000 8/27 96,000

I texted with Doc Saturday to see how he was doing. He was home resting and on more meds. He said doctors make the worst patients lol

Jim really bonded with it on Friday riding in W Va. Thursday he was a little unsure, but by Saturday he said he loves it. But... Jim is Jim, tomorrow it may be gone lol
 
That looks like a fantastic way to spend a weekend. Great trip!

BTW, I like how you don't limit yourself by staying on the map.
64c080c21406112136dcb56518592bbb.png


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
Nice roads

Didn't make the msta (formerly hats) mail pouch fly-by, which was this weekend.. Surprised you didn't run across em

I mentioned them in my post above. THey were there by the hundreds. We left our hotel generally before they got up because their bikes were parked in front of their hotel and nobody was around them. We did see some of them in little groups on the road 6-10 at a time, but they always going the opposite direction we were. We were glad about that lol

Imagine if you will, when looking at the pics above, how pretty it is during the color change in October. Stunning
 
Thread starter
You and the cheese weasels should take a few days and ride out there Stichill. Guaranteed smile stretcher, closer than central West Virginia or North Carolina. Plus you could eat at the 3rd Street Diner, Boathouse BBQ and the Beallsville Diner. Win- win- win- win!
 
Ferret, I may impose on you next September and have you reciprocate for my sharing a bit of Colorado with you and Offroad this summer. Those roads look like a blast and yes, it must be spectacular when the leaves change. I have driven the roads near Snowshoe, WV, and promised myself I'd return on two wheels someday. This would be a bucket-list trip for me.
 
Thread starter
Hey that sounds like a good time. It would be my pleasure.

Im hoping they choose W Va for the rally next year. I have some excellent routes to ride down there. One goes right past Snowhoe.
 
Just got around to reading this. Great report and pictures. Our group's 2018 trip could be to this area, although I'm looking at several options. Semi-related to this: Are you using a Fuji XP camera on your lanyard these days, Ferret? If so, do you like it and if yes, what's the exact model? I've been sans lanyard-cam for a year now and my lack of photo documentation is beginning to irritate my riding mates. (I am sure that I asked you about this before, but I can't find the info.)
 
Thread starter
Sea still using the same camera a Fuli XP digital point and shoot. I love the camera except for 1 thing. The lens is in the upper right corner of the camera and sometimes when gripping it with my left hand I get my glove in the corner of the picture. I will be getting another camera one of these days and the lens will be in the center of the camera.

You guys would love this SE Ohio/northern W VA area for riding. Have I ever steered you wrong? BTW I took the Men's group over to Northern Kentucky today and rode the loop I took your group on a few years ago..19-62-1504-62-165-19. 201 miles of bliss for us. Friday we are doing a Ribber Run woo hoo
 
Back
Top