screw in front tire

Krupator_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
This morning I got a screw in my front tire. It definitely leaks because when I pulled it out it there were some bubbles forming around it. It was raining. If it would have happened on the way home I would just replace it, but I just got to work though. I'm considering patching/plugging it just to limp it home where i will definitely replace the tire. My question, given where the puncture is will it be safe to ride it with a plugged tire? I'm getting conflicting information about plugging a motorcycle tire from a quick internet search.

 
I plugged a sidewall leak once but for a short term fix, the location of yours looks like it will be a challenge.

Me, I'd try it just to get home IF my commute didn't involve highways or long distance.
 
You are going to get one of 2 views on this.

Its fine to plug it and ride.

You are a moron if you plug it.

Some of us have plugged tires and ridden on them for multiple thousand miles. I rode my rear with a plug in about the same spot as your screw for 3000 miles. YMMV

So, I was fine, but maybe a moron :)
 
Thread starter
I need to go about 15 miles of highway or a couple miles less on back roads, but with more than a few twisty bits. Either way it's not that far. Popgun, your experience gives me hope that a plug can get me home.

Next I have to choose what tire or tires I'm going with. I've read good things about the pilot road 3's on this forum, but if I put a different tire on the front I probably should get the matching tire for the back as well. I guess I'll be searching the forum at lunch for info on that matter.
 
Sometimes plugs hold, sometimes they don't. I have had them fail, so they do, as claimed by some. No way to patch it unless you remove the tire. There is a plug repair kit which can be used to temporarily stop the leak from the outside. That could get you home, then replace the tire.
 
You asked for opinions here is mine. I will plug a rear and ride it til it needs replacing. I will plug a front only to get me home to order a new tire.
 
I have the same opinion as popgun and Ole. If it were me I'd ream it, plug it and ride it home. It's actually in a good spot for a plug..in the thickest part of the tire. If it were in the sidewall or in one of the deep sipes where the tire is thinnest, then it would be iffy. If it held air for a few days I might ride it until I'm due for a new tire. Yep another moron here lol.
 
Thread starter
I checked the tire pressure and it seems to be holding air. I'm going to try getting home on it as is. After doing some searching on the forum and having only more questions after doing so, I think I'm just going to replace it with the OEM tire.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have the same opinion as popgun and Ole. If it were me I'd ream it, plug it and ride it home. It's actually in a good spot for a plug..in the thickest part of the tire. If it were in the sidewall or in one of the deep sipes where the tire is thinnest, then it would be iffy. If it held air for a few days I might ride it until I'm due for a new tire. Yep another moron here lol.
moron #2 seconds this motion!
 
I'd leave the screw in, inflate the tire, and try riding it home.

I rode 70 miles home on this rim last summer. The tire wouldn't hold more than 20 psi and I survived.

 
I'd plug it and ride. I personally use "tar snake" style plugs with the reamer and insertion tool, not the mushroom plug kit. I've never had a tar snake style plug fail on any car or mc tire.
 
That's the kind I use too if you are meaning the black ones that don't require separate glue.
 
Thread starter
I checked the tire pressure about 5 hours ago and just now. It has raised 2psi sitting out in the sun all afternoon. That makes me wonder if the screw even made it all the way through. I really thought I saw some bubbles around the hole on the tire when the screw came out. It was very wet. Given the tire pressure reading it seems to be holding air for now.

BTW, that's impressive long ranger! I'm not sure I would have tried that, but you made it.
 
When you get home, pull the screw out. Put a wad of spit on your finger and smear it on the hole, if it's leaking it should buble up. You could also use a little dish soap mixed in water if you don't want to spit on your finger lol
 
Thread starter
The screw isn't in the hole anymore. When I found it I barely touched it and the screw fell out. If you take a look at that picture you may be able to see that it has a relatively large head on it. The tire had an indentation in the shape of the screw's head when I first examined it so I just assumed that the screw went all the way in and pushed back out. The little bugger is only 1/2" long.

Ferret I'll definitely try what you said when I get home.
 
Sounds like it didn't puncture at all and the tyre will be fine? Whew!
 
Krupator_imp said:
I checked the tire pressure about 5 hours ago and just now. It has raised 2psi sitting out in the sun all afternoon. That makes me wonder if the screw even made it all the way through. I really thought I saw some bubbles around the hole on the tire when the screw came out. It was very wet. Given the tire pressure reading it seems to be holding air for now.

BTW, that's impressive long ranger! I'm not sure I would have tried that, but you made it.
The pathetic thing is that I rode it like that on the freeway. At about 50 mph the whole way home. I knew running the tire for that distance, at that speed, and with only 20 psi, would ruin it, but I thought it'd get me home. I didn't want to stop and call a towing service just for that.

The even more pathetic thing is that after I had the rim repaired, I remounted the tire instead of replacing it. I'm still riding on it today. Those PR4's are too expensive to throw away!
 
Back
Top