scoot's guide to some "cheap" cafe racer mods

scooticus_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Good Day,

Sorry for the misleading topic but I have been searching for some cafe racer mods in the forum to no avail as most of the members here seem to have parts fabricated. AsussieFlyer's mod is one such example. While it is unique, there are some of us who wants a cafe racer look but simply did not have the resources to fabricate but would prefer to purchase parts if available. I am one of such example.

It started off with the dilemma of deciding between the thruxton and CB11 to purchase. I would have to admit that in Malaysia, Thruxton is cheaper ( around usd 18k as compared to the CB11 at us 24k. ( Malaysia is one of the most expensive places to own vehicles due to our tax ). After months of searching and exploring, I found that it would be safer to go with the triumph as it's a cafe racer out of the box. Coupled with some british customs mods and i have a gorgeous looking bike. Honda's in the other hand has been very reliable and i have to admit that i have grown up with honda's and they have been robust, reliable and dependable. It is the cafe racer look that seems to be of a challenge. Nevertheless, I decided to jump into the unknown and make something for myself. This to me would be a basic template for people who wants a CB11 cafe racer but find it difficult to fabricate parts on their own.

My definition of "cheap" means that all the mods that you see only requires your credit card and some patience waiting for the shipment to arrive. Understand this, purchasing online incurs postage charges and local taxes ( ouch.. found out the hard way ). No customised parts from your local store required and all you need is a fairly good mechanic to assemble it for you or yourself if you have the time and the patience.

I will break this post into a few parts and hopefully be able to help some new members to change the look of their bikes without having to worry if it fits. I would list down what i got for myself and where to purchase it. This is in no way an expert's advice but serves as a documented guide on

1. the look I wanted
2. what was done
3. where i got it from
4. the result and conclusion

to make something from stock :



to this



To be continued........

Cheers
Scoot
 
I'm still trying to catch my breath after reading that a CB 1100 cost $24K USD in Malaysia. Holy cow!

and people think they are overpriced here!
 
Read your links and wow, quite eye opening.

Im surprised you kept the chrome fenders, large rear tailight, and large turn signals. Samurider makes front and rear fenders much more cafe racer style.
 
Ouch. That heavy import tax...at least Malaysian domestic industries are well protected! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hahaha!!!! :D
Looks like I killed this thread too! :s
Not my intention though. I get carried away when I see a beautiful work of art. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Humble apologies for the late in postings as I have been quite busy with preparations for the implementation of GST in Malaysia due in April. It occurred to me that i was supposed to follow up on my topic and here i am.

I will start with the what was purchased and done to the bike to the best that i can describe so kindly bear with me if my " engrish " is not up to scratch.

For the transformation from stock to what you see now. Here is what i got and the links to where to get the items from :

1. A Honda CB1100ex | make 2014 | registered 2015 |

2. Yamamoto Clip on bars | samurider | samurider link | Price - 40,000Yen |


3. KanDH Solo seats | samurider | [url=http://www.samurider.com/?p=21826]samurider link | price - 57,000Yen |


4. Front brake adjust bolt | samurider | [url=http://www.samurider.com/?p=13151]samurider link | price - 9,000Yen |


5. Napolean cafe racer bar end mirrors | [url=http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Mirrors-AP-101-Replacement-Mirror/dp/B004WPQZTE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427221120&sr=8-2&keywords=napoleon+bar+end+mirrors]amazon link | price - 30 use each ( 60usd total exl shipping ) |


6. Pipemasters 4 to 4 exhaust | pipemasters au | [url=http://info@pipemasters.net%20]email Peter Gray | price - approx 2300 aud ( inc shipping ) |



7. o2 sensor eliminator | ebay | [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor-Eliminator-Set-Blanking-Plug-HONDA-CB-1100-2013-2014-/221639679815%20pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item339ac11f47&vxp=mtr]ebay link | Price - approx 15 pounds each | total - 2 x 15 pounds ( excluding shipping ) | cb1100ex have 2 o2 sensors instead of 1.

8. Custom paint job done locally | Colour from white to silver | Price - 300aud |

cost in aud for the bike : 30,500
cost in aud for add ons : 3,858
total cost in aud : 34, 358
here are some of the pictures of the bike at mint condition.
here is the bike stripped
here is the the pipe master going into the bike
more pictures
and...
one more...
 
Thread starter
now, here is where i would say what are the mistakes and what to improve on as from experience :

0. You will have to thread carefully as there would be local customs and taxes for item purchases. In general ( if you are from Malaysia - it's 30% import duty + 10% sales tax ) <-- you have been warned.
1. I had the privilege of having a good, honest and reliable mechanic who works in the shop i got the bike from. That alone saved me a whole lot of trouble from doing all the mods myself. Mechanics like him is pretty hard to come by ( in Malaysia ). Hence, if you find one... it's pretty much for life.
2. You will not need the front brake adjuster bolt as it is exactly the same as the factory unit. The difference is just the colour and nothing more.
3. an engine guard is an absolute must. Here is the link to my next would be purchase : engine guard
4. The reason i am not going for short fenders both for the front and rear is primarily because it rains ( a whole lot ) down here in Malaysia. As much as i would like to remove the rest fender to make way for a cleaner cafe racer look. i would have to put into consideration other cars and bikes on the road as well.

to be continued....
 
And by front brake adjuster bolt, I think Scootericus is talking about the front suspension adjustable cap bolt

ADJ FORK BOLT GOLD
08F73-MGC-D30ZD
 
The silver colour is just beautiful, as are the 4 into 4 pipes. Were I ever to become a farkler, those pipes would be a must have.
 
Hey Scoot, congratulations on the bike project, it's looking great. Gotta love those spoked wheels and that exhaust systems is just spectacular. Happy riding.
 
Thread starter
4fout2_imp said:
Did you have any fitment issues installing the pipemasters on the 2014 CB?
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
 
scooticus_imp said:
4fout2_imp said:
Did you have any fitment issues installing the pipemasters on the 2014 CB?
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
Yes you did. Thanks Scooticus. I already bought a set of Moriwaki but I like the pipmasters so much I am going to sell the Moriwaki and get the Pipemasters. They are the best sounding, like the old days, and best looking on this bike.

Anyone want a set of titanium Moriwaki duals email me.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Hey Scoot, congratulations on the bike project, it's looking great. Gotta love those spoked wheels and that exhaust systems is just spectacular. Happy riding.
I wish i have more time and resources to find people who are able to do custom parts like what you have done to your awesome bike back here in Malaysia.

I am still trying to find a cowl for the seats i have and does anyone know if thruxton rear cowl would fit ?
 
Thread starter
4fout2_imp said:
scooticus_imp said:
4fout2_imp said:
Did you have any fitment issues installing the pipemasters on the 2014 CB?
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
Yes you did. Thanks Scooticus. I already bought a set of Moriwaki but I like the pipmasters so much I am going to sell the Moriwaki and get the Pipemasters. They are the best sounding, like the old days, and best looking on this bike.

Anyone want a set of titanium Moriwaki duals email me.
At first, I was concerned about the fitting as Peter Gray ( pipe masters ) was not entirely sure if it would fit a 2014ex. But it does fit and there is no issues whatsoever. You will have to remove your double stand and should you have the ex model ( 2014 / spoke / dual exhaust ), it is recommended that you get yourself a pair of o2 eliminator as the pipes only got 1 socket instead of 2. What i did was to remove the o2 sensors entirely.

I hope this answers your question
Yes you did. Thanks Scooticus. I already bought a set of Moriwaki but I like the pipmasters so much I am going to sell the Moriwaki and get the Pipemasters. They are the best sounding, like the old days, and best looking on this bike.

Anyone want a set of titanium Moriwaki duals email me.

i will try and upload some video's on the bike and the exhaust in the next few days so you can check it out and ready yourself to get rid of your existing pipes.
 
Back
Top