Saluting oncoming riders?

EmptySea_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
As I recall, back in the late 70s, a few motorcycle magazine writers coined the term. Supposedly, it was a contraction of "Squirrely Kid".

I was kind of a squid myself back in those days, and was not offended by the label. :D
 
Banned_imp said:
I wave at everyone on 2-3 wheels, Spyders included. Around here generally everyone waves back with a few exceptions of bike snobs on all brands/genres.

I go out of my way to wave at scooters as for the most part it's teenagers riding them and I remember how cool I thought it was when I was 14 on my scooter and someone on a "real bike waved at me.

I also have a rather "festive" wave that I reserve for the outlaw bikers types for no other reason than it amuses me.

What is a "shaka" wave?
A buddy from Hawaii taught me to make a fist, stick out your thumb and pinkie finger, and give a little twist of your wrist.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
I don't know where the term came from, but it's pretty easy to identify them as they approach. No helmet, shorts and/or flip-flops, and traveling too fast are the usual indications.
 
^^ I understand your reluctance to wave at the squids, but I look at it this way: If I'm going to die on my bike, I'd kind of like it to be after receiving a friendly gesture from a fellow rider...so I wave to the squids. ;)
 
I wave at all, except for Polaris Slingshots, which really are like cars. I also don’t wave during Bike Week in Daytona—there is an unwritten but well understood rule that waving is suspended during Bike Week. Way too many bikes.
 
I’ll wave if someone waves at me, if I can....... what I don’t get is another rider waving when on the freeway coming the opposite way at high speeds. When I pass or get passed on the freeway a friendly wave or gesture is always good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
apex1_imp said:
I wave at all, except for Polaris Slingshots, which really are like cars. I also don’t wave during Bike Week in Daytona—there is an unwritten but well understood rule that waving is suspended during Bike Week. Way too many bikes.
that's not how you spell "Saturn Sky."
DHB_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Had to look it up! Heard it many times but never new. Is this accurate?

Squid = Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous (motorcycle Slang)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
I don't really believe that the term "Squid" was originated from an acronym, but maybe I'm wrong. I've heard it directed mainly at young and newish riders who are overconfident and under-qualified. I'm not sure exactly how one would identify these characteristics while passing a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction except in fairly rare instances, but perhaps DHB has a different definition for the term.

I wave at every motorcycle or scooter that I notice, at every little kid whose head turns from the sidewalk as I pass on the street, occasionally at bicyclists if they are out in the middle of nowhere working really hard, and accidentally at fellow Jeep owners when I forget that I'm on my bike.
I don't know where the term came from, but it's pretty easy to identify them as they approach. No helmet, shorts and/or flip-flops, and traveling too fast are the usual indications.
I don't know where the term came from, but it's pretty easy to identify them as they approach.
I like that acronym, but I always understood "squid" to refer to their squishy, unprotected nature, like their invertebrate cousins. for example, harley bros who wear nothing but a little leather vest and sunglasses for protection are still squids, even though they are not stupidly quick.
 
I thought it was squid because they can only go fast in a straight line, like a squid in water. I guess if you don’t know how a squid or octopus can only go fast in a straight line then it wouldn’t make much sense.

I wave sometimes, but there’s so many bikes on the road around here it gets old pretty fast. If I’m on a real rural ride and see another rider I’ll initiate a wave, as long as their not wearing shorts. If you ride where I ride and you’re in shorts, you ain’t getting a wave, man.

I give the thumbs up to good classic cars. People on tractors wave to me more often then not, so I always wave back to them because tractors are cool..
 
Harley riders are squids? Not around here. Squids in my book are bare-chested 19-year old kids on beat GSXR-1000's with loud exhausts and bald tires wearing nothing but shorts, tennis shoes and a Helite airbag vest going 95 mph down the interstate. All they have is wrist, nothing else. No cornering skills, no acknowledgement of their front brakes, no endorsement, no insurance. They're cool dudes. Usually their petrified girlfriend is perched on the rear seat hanging on for dear life with her blouse riding halfway up her back and her sunburnt legs akimbo.
 
Thread drift alert! Wonk Wonk Wonk Aoogah!
I wave at every bike, and have come close to waving at cars with one headlight. But then I am fairly rural and seldom see a high volume of riders.
I have a regular routine drive in the morning, some would say a commute but it's less formal than that. I often see a guy on a Harley, presumably on his way to work and I have waved to him for about two years while usually driving my Toyota pickup. Mainly in recognition of his daily use of two wheeled transport. One of these days I will follow him on my bike and congratulate him in person. Possibly creep him out completely! :)

Ben
 
Back
Top