Safety Tips from Seasoned Riders for CB1100

lagoje_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
While I've owned a motorcycle for a 10 yr stretch in my younger days, I don't have near the miles that many of the forum members do. As I get back into riding, I'd like to get the thoughts of the seasoned riders on this forum on how to ride safe and is there anything that specifically applies to the CB1100. It's a much heavier bike them I'm used to which has its advantages & disadvantages.

As I get back into riding, my underlying philosophy is to ride like no one can see you, and if they can see you assume they're trying to kill you.

Thanks in advance for you input.
 
I rode for 35 years and then took 4 years off. When I bought my current bike, I did the MSF Advanced Rider Course. For me it was money and time well spent.
 
One of the toughest things to do is to learn to stay back from the vehicle in front of you. This is so important. If they panic stop in front of you it gives you time to react either by braking or by an avoidance maneuver, secondly cars and trucks can roll right over things like dead animals, mufflers, wooden pallets, giant pot holes that you won't see until they make themselves visible after the car/truck has passed, generally right in the center of the lane you are riding in. If you are following too closely, you will NOT be able to avoid the item. Staying back takes conscious effort and must be thought of EVERYTIME you are in traffic.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the toughest things to do is to learn to stay back from the vehicle in front of you. This is so important. If they panic stop in front of you it gives you time to react either by braking or by an avoidance maneuver, secondly cars and trucks can roll right over things like dead animals, mufflers, wooden pallets, giant pot holes that you won't see until they make themselves visible after the car/truck has passed, generally right in the center of the lane you are riding in. If you are following too closely, you will NOT be able to avoid the item. Staying back takes conscious effort and must be thought of EVERYTIME you are in traffic.
Never be in a rush, and don't trust your mirrors; turn your head and look. Plan neighborhood trips so they don't include left turns at busy intersections. Perform safety checks of your machine and inspect your riding gear every ride.
 
I think the most dangerous accident site ,is at an intersection where cars are turning left in front of you when you are going straight. They turn right in front of you ,claim that they never saw you. I have had too many near misses like that.
 
I've put a Whelen LIN3 flashing LED light on the back of all of my bikes for years. I'm paranoid about getting hit from behind from a driver who might be too busy texting with her BFF to pay attention to stopped or slowing traffic.

A picture on Post #2 here:

Posting pictures
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the toughest things to do is to learn to stay back from the vehicle in front of you. This is so important. If they panic stop in front of you it gives you time to react either by braking or by an avoidance maneuver, secondly cars and trucks can roll right over things like dead animals, mufflers, wooden pallets, giant pot holes that you won't see until they make themselves visible after the car/truck has passed, generally right in the center of the lane you are riding in. If you are following too closely, you will NOT be able to avoid the item. Staying back takes conscious effort and must be thought of EVERYTIME you are in traffic.
^^^^
Excellent advice right here!

Also I'd take the MSF advanced course, I saw some other folks mention that. It's awesome - I have almost 100k miles under my belt in 6 years and I still learn new things constantly.
 
When I was younger I was invincible 24/7/365 (or so I thought). Now, if I'm not feeling 100% or if I'm distracted by some issue or other, or if I'm angry, or if I'm in a hurry, I simply don't ride. There are also certain times of day on certain roads that I prefer not to ride, such as afternoon rush hour.

Cagers are even more distracted and crazy during rush hour than normal. All that pent up frustration from a day at the office, plus hungry, plus low angle sun in their eyes, plus who knows what. It all adds up to a Thunderdome experience around here.

My best takeaway from the basic rider course was that accidents result from a combination of factors all at once. For example: Being distracted by a piece of gear, plus less than ideal pavement conditions, plus poor sight lines for merging or cross traffic, plus following too close, plus going too fast.

Never ignore a less than optimal factor and always take immediate action to eliminate them, even if it means pulling over and stopping.
 
obleo_imp said:
I think the most dangerous accident site ,is at an intersection where cars are turning left in front of you when you are going straight. They turn right in front of you ,claim that they never saw you. I have had too many near misses like that.
^^^^ That's a big one. I don't feel comfortable approaching an intersection facing a left turner unless I have a car or two next to me. If I don't, my alert level goes way up and I tend to move around in my lane to increase my visibility.

On tip for approaching opposite a car waiting to turn left, is to watch their front wheels. Before the car turns left, you'll see the front wheels turning first. That give you a few seconds more warning and give you time to avoid. That technique has saved my bacon on more than a few occasions.
 
One thing I always keep in the back of my mind when I am in traffic or at a traffic light in heavy traffic is how can I exit this spot if there
is a problem. I never pull up close to the car ahead of me at a stop , a bike can turn away much better then a car so I always give myself
space to go around into the ditch or wherever .
 
Buy good safety gear; helmet, gloves, boots, jacket/pants or suit. www.atgatt.org Coming Soon!

Personally, I wear an AEROstich Roadcrafter suit, daily. I bought the suit back in 1991, use it daily to commutte and on weekends too. The suit has held up very well over the years, with a couple of trips back to AEROstich for zippers and velcro repair. A very good investment.

TINK
 
When I approach an intersection with a car turning left I make myself visible by swaying on my lane. When sitting in a car you'll realize that a bike approaching is merely one spot (i.e. headlight) which comes closer gradually.
By using the whole width of my lane I will be much better seen because it is a sideways motion, too.

Another tip is to watch where the sun is. If you can see your own long shadow then the sun is right behind you. For any car coming up you will be totally invisible because you are hidden in the bright sunlight.

I also like safety training days with skilled professionals. At first it looks expensive (here in Europe you`d spend more than 100,- € that is 135,- Dollars) but if you can avoid one accident it can be considered well spent.
 
Lots of real good advice here. Most of it real good.

Let me add my 2 cents worth:

1. ALWAYS buffer. DON'T get lazy (complacent).

2. Brakes are good, especially ABS. Practice emergency braking. Understand how your ABS, if fitted, works. It can bring you undone at very low speed (don't have ABS on my CB so guys, feel free, shoot me down like an old brown dog).

3. Having said (2), steering out of trouble may be the best option. Don't give up - when your boot and hero peg touch down and are grinding the tar you still have a little more.

4. Returning-to-riding courses have been mentioned here already. Building on that, continual self education will make you a better, and safer, rider. Track days. Keith Code - Twist of the Wrist 2 is a good read. Executing (3) then is not a step into the frightening unknown.

5. GET PLENTY OF QUALITY SEAT TIME to build on (4).

There is so much more but, on reflection, I am not qualified to give you any advice. Enjoy the long and never-ending road to self discovery. :biker:

Cheers, Tony
Having said all of the above, on a personal basis, I recognise, with some reluctance, that I am hitting age 70. My eyesight is failing, along with slowing reflexes and thought processes. Have a good long look in the mirror and ride within your limits.

On the upside, the older I get the better I was!
 
Always ride within the limits of your ability. Someone else said it well. If you are tired, angry, or god forbid had a drink, do yourself a favor and stay off the bike.

When riding down a straight road approaching cars ready to turn in from a side street, look at the driver's head and eyes and try and make eye contact while you are approaching. If they are on a cell phone or talking to someone in the passenger seat, cover your brake and be prepare to stop or maneuver out of the way. There is a good probably they will not see you pull out in front of you.
 
Learn how to stop your motorcycle. The fastest way possible. Go to a country road with no traffic and practice practice practice

this has kept me breathing for many years
 
Ole_imp said:
Learn how to stop your motorcycle. The fastest way possible. Go to a country road with no traffic and practice practice practice

this has kept me breathing for many years
Good advice. But while your there work on popping a wheelie. It's not all serious you know :)
 
Agreed Ole, and all the above.
Learn your bike, get out on a back road where it is safe and SAFELY get a feel for how your bike handles in different situations. I rode a CL350 off road on old logging roads when I was a teenager and really learned bike control and weight transfer before my Dad let me on the road. Always expect the unexpected, leave yourself a way out.

By the way this is a great thread that can help everyone. Thanks Lagoje
 
Back
Top