Safety issue to watch out for.

LakeWylieJoe_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was just installing a new air filter on my 2014 STD and noticed the wire harness directly below the air clearer housing was being scrubbed by the swingarm and worn through.

After some investigating, I found that the harness stay that is located a few inches below the air cleaner housing had popped out of its bracket and was allowing the harness to relax against the side of the swingarm which, as you are aware is a moving part... If the wrong wire gets worn through and grounded, the engine could stop mid-turn, and that would certainly be bad.

Anyway, when you have the right side cover off, check your wire harness stay to make sure its still attached to the frame and that the harness running down from there isn't contacting the swingarm.
 
Just checked mine and all is well.

That was a good find. There isn’t a lot of clearance between the swingarm and wire bundle.
 
Thanks for the tip Joe.

I see you must like VFR Hondas. I have 111,000 miles on my 1998 VFR800, and it's the best bike I have ever owned. I have a 2002 VFR800 that I picked up on E-Bay that I am restoring - bought non-running, so we'll see what happens.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I love the 90deg V-Fours, especially the ones with gear driven cams. I guess I fell in love with the relaxed seating position of the CB.


Dave_imp said:
Thanks for the tip Joe.

I see you must like VFR Hondas. I have 111,000 miles on my 1998 VFR800, and it's the best bike I have ever owned. I have a 2002 VFR800 that I picked up on E-Bay that I am restoring - bought non-running, so we'll see what happens.
 
Back
Top