Safety Gear..Discuss here

"while I lingered over the post button"

Lol and who among us hasn't faced that dilemma? ...as well as the back button just to skip the whole post you just spent 20 minutes typing out, but after re- reading think it not so wise to post

Btw here's the sig line of a member of another forum I find amusing


"If it ain't fun, I don't do it...
No worries,this parachute opens every time..... "

I love that skydivers wear little half helmets...like that could help in a 200 mph free fall into mother earth.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"while I lingered over the post button"

Lol and who among us hasn't faced that dilemma? ...as well as the back button just to skip the whole post you just spent 20 minutes typing out, but after re- reading think it not so wise to post

Btw here's the sig line of a member of another forum I find amusing


"If it ain't fun, I don't do it...
No worries,this parachute opens every time..... "

I love that skydivers wear little half helmets...like that could help in a 200 mph free fall into mother earth.
Oops! Are you trying to tell me something? Don't worry, I can take it.

Cheers mate.
 
:rofl: no... That was a personal reference
 
I read most and skimmed the rest of this thread. Not sure that I agree at all with any argument that since a taxpayer may have to pay for our injuries, that we should therefore be required to wear safety gear. That logic leads to the concept that motorcycles should be banned all together. However, we can go round and round on that and it's unreasonable to assume that laws will change anytime soon to mandate gear, even helmets. Which leads me to the helmet/seatbelt comparison that I really want to talk about.

A MSF instructor and Illinois State Motorcycle Trooper I met this summer had and interesting point on this subject. He favors seatbelt rules, but not helmet rules because, he says, the seatbelt not only protects the wearer, but also prevents him from becoming a projectile and injuring someone else. He is a crash investigator and says that many many people are injured by an unbelted fellow occupant's head or other body part striking them. The motorcycle helmet really only protects the rider and it's his head. I am not sure that I even ink seatbelt usage should be mandatory, but I found his logic compelling.
 
IN the state of Kentucky, we have seatbelt laws but no helmet laws. I wear my seatbelt 100 percent of the time and I wear a full face helmet 100 percent of the time. ONe is the law and one is my choice. The vast majority of folks here in Ky on 2 wheels dont wear a helmet. I am torn on this issue a little.

I want the goverment out of my life and off of my back and I dont want to be told what to do. On the other hand, a law to wear helmets may save some bikers. Education is the key imo. When I was 21 I was a wild man redlining a cb650 on every shift. I was a total idiot. Im not sure if I could have been taught anything at that age Above 25 I could have and maybe the laws could reflect that.

I dont have a good solution and just reflecting back on my experience. I think some of us old farts have some responsibility to try to mingle with young guys and share experiences and encourage safety and responsibility. I flat out understand the temtation to open up a sport bike but it needs to be done at a track under controlled conditions with all the gear on. JUst my 2 cents and its really only worth 1 cent if that.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
IN the state of Kentucky, we have seatbelt laws but no helmet laws. I wear my seatbelt 100 percent of the time and I wear a full face helmet 100 percent of the time. ONe is the law and one is my choice. The vast majority of folks here in Ky on 2 wheels dont wear a helmet. I am torn on this issue a little.

I want the goverment out of my life and off of my back and I dont want to be told what to do. On the other hand, a law to wear helmets may save some bikers. Education is the key imo. When I was 21 I was a wild man redlining a cb650 on every shift. I was a total idiot. Im not sure if I could have been taught anything at that age Above 25 I could have and maybe the laws could reflect that.

I dont have a good solution and just reflecting back on my experience. I think some of us old farts have some responsibility to try to mingle with young guys and share experiences and encourage safety and responsibility. I flat out understand the temtation to open up a sport bike but it needs to be done at a track under controlled conditions with all the gear on. JUst my 2 cents and its really only worth 1 cent if that.
Don't let them ride with me:P

All kidding aside times have changed. Back in the late 60's and 70's we would ride dirt with no helmet, if someone had one on he would look kinda weird. We also never wore a helmet when riding a bicycle, now when you ride on the street or bike path you get look at kinda strange not wearing a helmet. So, times have changed from when we where kids. I would say I wear AOTGSOTT

I personally feel better with full leathers on the street. I don't always wear them, sometimes a pair of jeans feels comfortable in the summer. I do have a light weight Joe Rocket mesh jacket with inserts, don't think it would do much good but it may help.

We look at the sport bike rider thats riding fast, 90% are in full gear, either 1 piece or 2 piece leather suit, if they low side or high side there much better off than the casual rider with no gear doing the speed limit.
 
I think that a lot of people do want the Government of their back but want that same Government (the tax payer) to pay for their medical bills because they did not want to be told to have medical insurance.
 
I wear most of the gear most of the time. I'll sport an open face lid or go unarmored for a short ride to the beach, store or to warm a bike up. But I generally wear armor in a jacket and riding pants along with my full face helmet.

I'm in favor of mandatory helmet laws. I understand the freedom of choice argument, but I choose to not care about that. Each state and the federal government has the right to make laws, and I don't agree with a good number of them, but I follow them. But even if my state didn't have a law regarding helmet use, I'd wear one.

The insurance angle is tricky. I don't smoke and I'm not obese, so when I see an obese smoker with self- inflicted diseases getting a million dollars worth of medical treatment, I tend to clench up a bit. If a helmet less rider hits a tree and is on insurance- paid life support for 10 years, I suppose I'd be a bit bitter as my premiums help cover that. But, insurance is designed to spread the risk, so I suppose it's in line with modern society.

Lots of vitriol and hard line feelings around this subject, I'm just glad we're discussing it reasonably rather than implying the other guy is a fascist/socialist/mother trucker as would happen on so many other forums.
 
Randy B_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:

And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.
OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions. I see this stuff on another board I frequent and it has just worn on me. It's kinda like that Jesus guy on the corner with the bull horn.....you can't ignore him because he's yelling at you WITH A BULL HORN and you just want to rip it out of his hands....yeah...it's like that.

Let people ride their rides. If something happens to them due to their decision to wear gear or not, it's on them. I hate the fact that I am forced to wear a helmet, but I have always owned one. Sometimes I wore it and sometimes I didn't...my choice....and that's how it should be.

Seeing all this preaching has worn me VERY thin and I don't think we need it here. We are a good group of guys talking about a bike we love. Lets not ruffle feathers berating someone for making a choice. The resistance it causes is just not worth it.

Sorry Guth and Ferret.

/rant.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.
I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.
 
DG..just because you have a different opinion on a given subject than someone else is no reason to leave. If that were the criteria NONE of us would be here.

Discussion is good as long as you are not so locked into your position that you can't really listen to and and at least contemplate another's position. That doesn't seem to be the case between you and I assume Randy's position on gear (judging from the above post) which actually seem similar. You both seem to support freedom of choice, but unfortunately it just happened to be your post that drove Randy over the edge this time. I understand your "personal position" may be ATGATT while others may not. No big deal. it has come up before, it will come up again.

Like oil, tires, and a myriad of other subjects it seems to fall into 2 camps. neither is completely wrong, neither is completely right. Although there is disagreement, there is also room for agreement in both camps. Disagreeing doesn't HAVE to be disagreeable.

I don't think anyone on this site is ANTI GEAR. I think there are many on this site who just want to make up their own minds about how much of which type of gear they wear at any one time.

I am usually geared up pretty well, like yesterday's ride..Full face helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, motorcycle specific boots, motorcycle specific gloves, I even had my Flo Yellow green safety vest on.( having worked the last 25 years in the highway safety field, it's something I believe in, and advocate, but don't preach about). But there may be an 85 degree day next summer where I will be wearing an open face helmet, CB1100 t shirt, pair of jeans, some gym shoes, and be bare handed for a ride out here in the country. I just want to wear what I want to wear without somebody telling me I'm wrong for it.

I'm sure you feel the same.

No need to run off.

Deep breath everyone, and lets continue. Dialog is the foundation of a forum, is it not?

BTW over on the ADV forum, this discussion would be a full on flame war by now. You guys are great!
 
The ferret_imp said:
DG..just because you have a different opinion on a given subject than someone else is no reason to leave. If that were the criteria NONE of us would be here.

Discussion is good as long as you are not so locked into your position that you can't really listen to and and at least contemplate another's position. That doesn't seem to be the case between you and I assume Randy's position on gear (judging from the above post) which actually seem similar. You both seem to support freedom of choice, but unfortunately it just happened to be your post that drove Randy over the edge this time. I understand your "personal position" may be ATGATT while others may not. No big deal. it has come up before, it will come up again.

Like oil, tires, and a myriad of other subjects it seems to fall into 2 camps. neither is completely wrong, neither is completely right. Although there is disagreement, there is also room for agreement in both camps. Disagreeing doesn't HAVE to be disagreeable.

I don't think anyone on this site is ANTI GEAR. I think there are many on this site who just want to make up their own minds about how much of which type of gear they wear at any one time.

I am usually geared up pretty well, like yesterday's ride..Full face helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, motorcycle specific boots, motorcycle specific gloves, I even had my Flo Yellow green safety vest on.( having worked the last 25 years in the highway safety field, it's something I believe in, and advocate, but don't preach about). But there may be an 85 degree day next summer where I will be wearing an open face helmet, CB1100 t shirt, pair of jeans, some gym shoes, and be bare handed for a ride out here in the country. I just want to wear what I want to wear without somebody telling me I'm wrong for it.

I'm sure you feel the same.

No need to run off.

Deep breath everyone, and lets continue. Dialog is the foundation of a forum, is it not?

BTW over on the ADV forum, this discussion would be a full on flame war by now. You guys are great!
1989cfe9550ecc2ca4018e698ea8ffd3.gif


Absolutely. Hard line to tell someone else they are "wrong"! I am more in the camp of "unwise". As in, really unwise to jump on your high horsepower drag bike, attempting to show off, with ZERO gear on! I personally can't see too many of those reminders. No intention to offend any members here, so my apologies.
 
:beerchug: All good DG. ( tea in my glass please)
 
When it comes to rules I'm fond of the apartment analogy. You move into a place; all by yourself, no rules, come and go as you please, dress, or not, as you please. Let dishes stack up. The bathroom plug up. Fart, scratch and belch until the cows come home.

Then you get a room mate for whatever reason, but typically to save a few bucks. Now you have to have rules because they have their own food, look even worse than you naked and god help you if they are a neat freak.

So you keep adding people (who knows why, it's what we seem to do). More people, same resources, more rules. Gotta have the rules to keep you from killing each other. Sure it tramples on your rights but you have twenty people living in a space designed for three so it's more rules so you can get along or you get rid of the roommates.

Same goes for clubs, cities, counties, countries and our planet. Cops don't like picking up red mist off the road when some squid decides to test his body mass inertia against the back of truck or the side of guard rail. People don't like paying for something if they can help it (like long term bed care because you did something to make yourself a vegetable) so they pass rules to avoid the expenses. Do personal freedoms get stepped on? Sure. On the whole we tend to look at it as a trade off. I pay more for cars and accept the forced use of seat belts because there are times, completely out of my hands where I'm in a crash and I don't want physics and my car trying to kill me.

It's the trade off of living in a crowded modern society. Don't like it; get rid of your roommates.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:

And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.
OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions. I see this stuff on another board I frequent and it has just worn on me. It's kinda like that Jesus guy on the corner with the bull horn.....you can't ignore him because he's yelling at you WITH A BULL HORN and you just want to rip it out of his hands....yeah...it's like that.

Let people ride their rides. If something happens to them due to their decision to wear gear or not, it's on them. I hate the fact that I am forced to wear a helmet, but I have always owned one. Sometimes I wore it and sometimes I didn't...my choice....and that's how it should be.

Seeing all this preaching has worn me VERY thin and I don't think we need it here. We are a good group of guys talking about a bike we love. Lets not ruffle feathers berating someone for making a choice. The resistance it causes is just not worth it.

Sorry Guth and Ferret.

/rant.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.
I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.
I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.
It's all good man. I'm not "against" you in any way, it's just a nerve thing is all.

And my sig line was a direct quote from someone else that I found funny is all.

As a group we are a good bunch and there is not a lot of infighting, and that is a good thing. As Ferret said disagreements happen, but no need to get in a bunch about it. I'm over it. :hello: :beerchug:
 
Randy B_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:

And again, we must say, "no helmet"! All the gear, all the time.
OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions. I see this stuff on another board I frequent and it has just worn on me. It's kinda like that Jesus guy on the corner with the bull horn.....you can't ignore him because he's yelling at you WITH A BULL HORN and you just want to rip it out of his hands....yeah...it's like that.

Let people ride their rides. If something happens to them due to their decision to wear gear or not, it's on them. I hate the fact that I am forced to wear a helmet, but I have always owned one. Sometimes I wore it and sometimes I didn't...my choice....and that's how it should be.

Seeing all this preaching has worn me VERY thin and I don't think we need it here. We are a good group of guys talking about a bike we love. Lets not ruffle feathers berating someone for making a choice. The resistance it causes is just not worth it.

Sorry Guth and Ferret.

/rant.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.
I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.

OK.....I get that helmets save lives. Mine probably saved mine earlier this year, but I am getting really tired of seeing all the preaching about gear. We are all adults here and are reasonably capable of making our own decisions.
I fully support freedom of choice, so please feel free to skip over all my posts if you find me so offensive to your personal taste. I know I skip your signature line, that offends me.

"They've got so many caveats built into that "offer" that Jesus Christ couldn't qualify for it if God co-signed"

Like you, I have opinions. We all do. I expressed my perspective in regards to the guy in the video. Don't see your name mentioned anywhere. The fact that you somehow chose to associate yourself with the habits of the guy in the video, and my related comments, is on you.

You have some special right to "rant" your opinion about how I (and others) should not express theirs? As recently expressed in another thread to Tortuga, everyone should feel free to go elsewhere if they don't like what goes on here. Guth/Ferret also reserve the right to toss anyone out.

Guth/Ferret? - If I don't fit in here, and need to go. Just say the word.
It's all good man. I'm not "against" you in any way, it's just a nerve thing is all.

And my sig line was a direct quote from someone else that I found funny is all.

As a group we are a good bunch and there is not a lot of infighting, and that is a good thing. As Ferret said disagreements happen, but no need to get in a bunch about it. I'm over it. :hello: :beerchug:

No Worries!
 
So, after reading all the posts in this thread, I must confess I ride to work everyday in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I do wear a helmet, half and sometimes full depending on the weather. I do wear boots. They are part of my work uniform. When not working, I wear a pair of Vans. I ride in traffic and back roads. I am also 56 years old and in good fiscal shape and health. I need to be comfortable when I am on my bike. I live in a very warm climate, Mobile, Al. That being said, I have had my share of wrecks and spills. I am very aware of my surrounding when I am riding. The general public is made up of self absorbed idiot drivers on their cell phones, putting on makeup, or what ever that is more important then what is going on a round them and I watch everyone of them, it gives me amusement while I am doing what I love most, riding.
 
You appear to be old enough to make up your own mind and cognizant of the consequences of your choices, so ride on, and be safe!
 
Back
Top