safety at stop lights

StackMan_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I'm on my way home and have to stop at the light that is literally one block away from my house, I pull up just to the left of the car in front of me like I always do so I am in clear view of the side view mirror. Well the driver for some reason decides she wants to back up, I see the reverse lights come on but before I can hit the horn she flying back at my front wheel! Luckily I had left just enough space that she barley misses me. You just can't be to careful about leaving some distance, even when stopped.
 
Good advice! Has anyone ever been first at a red light and have a big semi turn towards you, misjudge their turning radius, and threaten to take you out? I always stop before the line to give folks room to turn.
 
Even in the car I like leaving a car length distance between me and the vehicle in front of me.

Not only for the goofy ones that think they need to back up at a stop light but also if you Get to close and you end up with what I call the accordion effect. It is from getting to close at a stop light then when everyone takes off it is like expanding the accordion as you have to wait until the person in front of you gets far enough away before you can start taking of. Imagine ten cars doing that, the accordion. Then at the next light you compact the accordion as everyone has to creep up on everyone else's bumper/ass. If everyone is spaced out when the light turns green everyone starts to move out at least takes their for of the brake, more vehicles in theory would make it through the light as everyone would be moving when it turned green.

I have been at some stop lights and because of the accordion effect I don't get to move until the light has turned red again!

Maybe that is just me. There are too many simple traffic/driving violations I see all the time. Like when turning you take the closest lane to you and not cross to the farthest lane.

Sorry climbing off my soap box. Time to go get the batteries back in the bikes and get them on the road today!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Geez Mark, good thing you left some space. What did she do after she backed up?

Have to be on your game all the time on a bike don't you?
 
Wow man, glad she missed you.
I can't start commenting on this because I could write a book about how I feel about peoples driving habits.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Wow man, glad she missed you.
I can't start commenting on this because I could write a book about how I feel about peoples driving habits.
Yes - I suspect a lot of folks could comment. So I won't say anything about teenage girls texting on their Andriods while "driving" their daddy's monster SUVs.........promise.
 
Thanks for the comment and glad it came out alright. I've got stories like everyone else. I will say I'm a profiler when it comes to the people I see around. I ride carefully at all times but various types of people in various types of cars get different treatment. 'nuff said.
 
Yeah. Glad she missed, mate.

The other good reason to leave space ahead at traffic lights is so you've got some room to move forward if the car behind you is approaching too fast. Good move in a car too.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Geez Mark, good thing you left some space. What did she do after she backed up?

Have to be on your game all the time on a bike don't you?
I think she saw me at the last minute but the light turned and she took off. I pulled up along side and showed her the piece sign (that's my standard procedure when communicating a near miss to a driver, figure its more effective than the bird) and went along my way.
 
Thanks for the hint!
I like to sit in first gear holding the clutch and watching my mirrors for somebody who might get me from behind if there aren't any cars already stopped there, but I had not thought about somebody backing up on me. Will think about that one now!

While we're on the topic, look both ways as well as you can before committing to pass through an intersection as well! I try to do this whether I'm in the car or on the bike. I watched somebody run a red and almost get broadsided this morning, good thing that the people just starting in front of me on the green were heads up on that.
 
When stopped at lights I always aim my bike at a gap between cars etc so if someone doesn't stop I can still zip through. If I'm last in line and exposed I'll stay in first, clutch in and monitor the mirrors.
 
Back
Top