It's a good thing to avoid close proximity to trucks at all times, I either drop back or get around and away as quickly as safety permits. And always assume that no one else you're sharing the road with can see you.
A mistake many car drivers (and probably some riders) make is pulling in too quickly after overtaking a truck. If they then have to stops suddenly, they're in deep strife. Trucks are big, heavy brutes and take a long time to stop, squashing many things in their way.
I just look at the truck's (or car's) mirrors. If you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you. On top of that, I ride as though I'm invisible anyway.
Quote: Ferret sez :Trucks and bikes do not mix. I always get past them as quick as I can.
Trucks can throw out 50 pound chunks of rubber behind and to the sides when a tire shreds and it sounds like dynamite going off. Never trust a truck.
Indeed. I learned about exploding truck tires the hard way. Fortunately I'd just installed my first big NC windshield. A truck ahead had a blowout on the interstate and fist sized chunks of rubber were flying at me. Thankfully, the windshield took the hit instead of me. It was reduced to several large pieces of broken plastic (which was sad), but without it I doubt I would've stayed on the bike.