Saddle Bags

rbike_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I thought I once saw a post regarding the Tourmaster Bags, but the Forum search did not find anything.

Any Feedback regarding the Tourmaster Elite (http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/elite_saddlebags/290/493) vs the Select model (http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/select_saddlebags/293/496)

I notice that the Elite is 75% wider. Obviously it will hold more, but is that a good or bad thing? L & H are apx the same.

Also there are 2 other models too.
Cosater - http://www.tourmaster.com/coaster_sl
Nylon Cruiser - http://www.tourmaster.com/nylon_cruiser_iii
 
Really? You typed "TOURMASTER" into the search engine and came up empty? Interesting. I just did it and turned up approx. 80 threads that mentioned Tourmaster

Here is the latest one

Tourmaster saddlebags

I also typed in "SADDLEBAGS" and came up with 120 threads

CB1100 Forum

you have plenty of reading to do lol
 
Thread starter
Retried search and it worked - no idea why it didn't before - possible typo from my end.
However, as I read posts, I did not see any feedback regarding preferred width or what manufacturer most liked.

Also, I read the posts regarding rear rack. No consensus there - all choices are very personal and cost dependent. I guess if the Honda was less expensive most would get that one.

I may have to put this off 'til bike week in February '16 to see if any are at the show. Hard to buy based on internet pics alone.
 
Some (like me) had the priority of not moving the rear turn signals. That dictated a short front to rear saddlebag. Some ( like me) don't want to use metal guards to keep the bags from crabbing in toward the wheels so that necessitated a small carrying capacity and some ( like me lol) have learned from many many trips how to pack small and light so I don't need huge bags in volume. And some ( like you know who) add a tank bag amd tail pack for extra carrying capacity.

Really depends on how many will be on the bike, how long you are going to be gone, and much stuff you truly need. I have it down to a science.

I like Tourmaster and Cortech gear ( clothing and luggage) but I also have some Nelson Rigg stuff.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Some (like me) had the priority of not moving the rear turn signals. That dictated a short front to rear saddlebag. Some ( like me) don't want to use metal guards to keep the bags from crabbing in toward the wheels so that necessitated a small carrying capacity and some ( like me lol) have learned from many many trips how to pack small and light so I don't need huge bags in volume. And some ( like you know who) add a tank bag amd tail pack for extra carrying capacity.

Really depends on how many will be on the bike, how long you are going to be gone, and much stuff you truly need. I have it down to a science.

I like Tourmaster and Cortech gear ( clothing and luggage) but I also have some Nelson Rigg stuff.
Thanks, that's the type of feedback I've been looking for on this forum. My initial concern was the esthetics and crab factor of wide bags. You addressed my concerns exactly in detail. Thanks.

I just looked at the Cortech bags and they have an expand feature - best of both worlds?
http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/super_2_0_saddlebags/181/613
 
Thread starter
From your photo, you have the select vs elite Tourister. Would you consider the Cortech instead if doing it again or would you still choose the Select? I did a trip on my 450 back in the 70s from the NE to Texas. It was packed on the rear with suitcases 3' high, plus a tank bag. LOL It was a semi permanent move.

That bike "seemed" (obviously didn't, before someone comments) to have as much power as my CB1000 does now, but with 2 cylinders. It definitely revved much higher on the interstate. It makes the discussion on sprockets funny in comparison. What I wouldn't have given back then for an overdrive or 2 more cylinders. I put over 25K on it and still had original chain & sprockets. Adjusted every 100 miles or so works! It's what got me hooked for a lifetime! It will always have a special place.

 
I think the selects are really nice bags. i would buy them again, but if they weren't available I could try bags from several mfgs., Cortech included ( Tourmaster and Cortech are sister companies)


That would be quite a trip on a 450 back then, but really the 450 was equivalent in power to a 650 back then, and unless you were going BMW or Harley, 650 was considered a large bike.

My first out of state riding trips ( when I was discovering travelling) was in 1969 on a new Honda CB 350. It was a medium sized bike then ( but much more sophisticated than my kick start, 4 speed CL77) and represented true freedom to me. With it I realized I could travel ANYWHERE by motorcycle.
 
I'll echo Ferret on the Selects. I have them and like them a lot. You can mount the straps UNDER the seat if you so choose. I carry a lot of ultra-light backpacking gear in them but if pressed for one thing I'd like to change I'd say maybe 4 inches wider for extra capacity. Not had any problems with the zippers/seams etc. Just a little material color fade but I'm in Utah and we have long/hot summers. I have both TourMaster and Nelson Rigg tank bags. Like them both. Difference is one is mid sized and one is HUGE.
a36a8167d2b6b96a4595c7eb5864ed26.jpg


Under the seat
d5657d0d9de27b6151ff357024e9e164.jpg
 
Thread starter
Frulk,

I really like the selects for my current needs. I won't keep them on all the time - just for miscellaneous got to have/get it now nuisance trips to the local store.

There is always a However, the Selects are 5.5" wide, Elites are 9.7", and the are Cortechs 6.7", expandable to 9.2". Would you get the wider Elites or the Cortechs if you would do it over with what you now know after using the Selects?

Link http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/super_2_0_saddlebags/181/613

From your & Ferret's feedback, I'm leaning towards the expandable Cortech being the best all around meeting both criteria.

I know color fade - it's spelled FLORIDA. Doesn't matter what, who, whatever, ... less than a single season, black to a wonderful grey. Quality items may last a season, the rest a few weeks or 2 months.

It's hard for me to tell from your picture - Do you have a rear rack under the orange bag & brown fold up?

Thanks for reminding me about the kick start - I sort of miss the nostalgia that goes along with it. It had an electric start also. Nowadays, I really miss it's 65-75 mpg requiring only a 3.5 gallon tank (225-265 miles on a tank fill-up) with a petcock - not realistic with today's fuel injection. IMHO, that was way better than any flashing digital gauge.

I also learned about gloves (even with a liner) vs. mittens when it was cold. I left on that first trip when it was 9 degrees out (not a typo). I had to stop every 2-3 hours along the Interstates as I went south to enter rest area restrooms, turn on the hot water (yes, gov't & big companies were not yet #$^&* back then) and revive my fingers before I had permanent frostbite or worse. I still loved every minute!
 
rbike_imp said:
Frulk,

I really like the selects for my current needs. I won't keep them on all the time - just for miscellaneous got to have/get it now nuisance trips to the local store.

There is always a However, the Selects are 5.5" wide, Elites are 9.7", and the are Cortechs 6.7", expandable to 9.2". Would you get the wider Elites or the Cortechs if you would do it over with what you now know after using the Selects?

Link http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/super_2_0_saddlebags/181/613

From your & Ferret's feedback, I'm leaning towards the expandable Cortech being the best all around meeting both criteria.

I know color fade - it's spelled FLORIDA. Doesn't matter what, who, whatever, ... less than a single season, black to a wonderful grey. Quality items may last a season, the rest a few weeks or 2 months.

It's hard for me to tell from your picture - Do you have a rear rack under the orange bag & brown fold up?

Thanks for reminding me about the kick start - I sort of miss the nostalgia that goes along with it. It had an electric start also. Nowadays, I really miss it's 65-75 mpg requiring only a 3.5 gallon tank (225-265 miles on a tank fill-up) with a petcock - not realistic with today's fuel injection. IMHO, that was way better than any flashing digital gauge.

I also learned about gloves (even with a liner) vs. mittens when it was cold. I left on that first trip when it was 9 degrees out (not a typo). I had to stop every 2-3 hours along the Interstates as I went south to enter rest area restrooms, turn on the hot water (yes, gov't & big companies were not yet #$^&* back then) and revive my fingers before I had permanent frostbite or worse. I still loved every minute!
In retrospect I would probably go for something larger because I mostly use them on multiday weekend trips and could use the additional space. Again. Not a dig on quality of the current bags. No rack under my dry bag. One of the farkles I plan to do this winter is order the black rack from Samurider with the integral grab rails. Couple of guys have that rack on this site. I like the sleek look of it and it appears to have a little more surface space than the OEM.
 
I am considering a Fehling rear rack. I am NOT a rear rack guy and think they ruin the look of the rear of the bike, bit they sure can be handy. I am concerned the Fehling doesn't have enough area to support much more than a small dry bag ( and that's probably enough) but I like how it combines the look of a rack and wrap around grab rail like the original 750s had.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I am considering a Fehling rear rack. I am NOT a rear rack guy and think they ruin the look of the rear of the bike, bit they sure can be handy. I am concerned the Fehling doesn't have enough area to support much more than a small dry bag ( and that's probably enough) but I like how it combines the look of a rack and wrap around grab rail like the original 750s had.
Me too - sort of, but the functionality can't be denied. I googled and came up with http://www.twistedthrottle.com/rear...on-sportster-low-custom-roadster-nightster-04 Will this fit the 13 CB1100?
 
I don't think it will fit, but a welder could make it fit lol.
 
Can the Cortech's be used (practically) without moving the turn signals?

I have the Tourmaster Selects on mine and they work great, albeit a bit small. No pannier supports needed either. With a large dry bag strapped on the passenger seat and my old Tourmaster Select top case/bag I have a very good amount of storage. And I'm very partial to the Kijima rear rack you can get from Mr T seen on my CB here:
MRA Vario windshield, Kijima rack & Alaskan sheepskin seat pad

Here's a pic from a couple of weeks ago from a quick 500 mile motel overnighter:

 
While I tend to agree on the looks of a rear rack, I opted for the Hondaline one after a rally "forced" me to get the Guzzi rear rack for my Griso. It's a slippery slope as now the Griso sports a Giva top case (it may move to the 650L and I'll upsize to a larger case). I had purchased a Wolfman medium dry duffle to take over sized camping items and needed the rack to hold the duffle.

On the Death Valley trip on the CB this duffle and tank bag were my only luggage items and it worked very well. If I get a larger Givi for the Griso it'll be used on the CB too. Locking luggage is the bee's knee's. I really miss my locking panniers I had on the Quota. But they look good on adventure bikes, not so well on standards. Although it can be done.

I added Klick-It mounts to my Ortliebs, they clip on to the Griso Saddle bag mounts (soft bags) very nicely and are waterproof - unlike the Griso factory bags. I'd really like to get a set of mounts welded up for the CB so I can use them.
 
Back
Top