Rust on lower fork bracket

I used multi-surface pledge on my last bike several times a month during the riding season. It was 5 years old when I sold it and looked brand new. I asked this before on this forum but didn't' get any response: Is there ANY reason not to do this on my CB1100???
 
Dakota_imp said:
I used multi-surface pledge on my last bike several times a month during the riding season. It was 5 years old when I sold it and looked brand new. I asked this before on this forum but didn't' get any response: Is there ANY reason not to do this on my CB1100???

Nope..you should be good with the Pledge..good stuff.
 
Dakota_imp said:
I used multi-surface pledge on my last bike several times a month during the riding season. It was 5 years old when I sold it and looked brand new. I asked this before on this forum but didn't' get any response: Is there ANY reason not to do this on my CB1100???
what bike was it?
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
I used multi-surface pledge on my last bike several times a month during the riding season. It was 5 years old when I sold it and looked brand new. I asked this before on this forum but didn't' get any response: Is there ANY reason not to do this on my CB1100???
what bike was it?
what bike was it?
It was a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (the CB1100 is a nice upgrade).

I find the reports of corrosion and other defects of the CB1100 quite disconcerting and want to be proactive.
 
Was giving mine a little clean today, guess what? Nasty corrosion underneath rear gaurd. 700mls.
Sat on a Triumph Bonneville last week, it was really comfy, dont want to do this but I'm going to book a test ride.
 
Mick...rear guard being back fender? Can you post a pic?


On a side note having owned a 2003 Bonnie, nice bike and all, but I'd rather have a slightly rusty CB 1100 than another Bonnie. Very small, weak power, weak brakes, seat like a board..looks good, handles well, sounds good with after market pipes. Stock you will hear the motor more than the exhaust. I sold mine to my younger brother. Many on this board are former Bonnie owners. But you should ride one yourself and make up your own mind.

 
Not giving up on the Honda without a fight, was just reading up about Acf50 seems like I need some.
Yep Rear Fender, its where the it bolts onto the frame theres some nasty nooks and cranies.Think I will remove front and rear fenders and apply some anti corrosion paint protection of some sort, do pics asap,
regards Mick.
Was actually thinking of having two bikes again.
 
I loved my Bonnie and was disappointed in it at the same time. My wife and I toured all the Natl Parks in Utah and AZ on it and it did ok. Like I said it was kinda crowded on it being as it's 3/4 size. Not too bad for a small single fella that rides solo (like my brother). I am a fan of quiet pipes but the Bonnie was ridiculous. Can't believe Triumph can't do better than that. Harley can for pete's sake. A Sportster sounds like a Sportster, a Bonnie sounds like a sewing machine. Even tightwad me spent $420 for Triumph Off Road Pipes hoping for some proper Triumph sound. Ha..not much better than stock. Wish I had gone after market. BTW there is a very healthy aftermarket for the Bonnies.

BTW I think the CB is a bit undersized as well.
 
Thread starter
Dealer says Honda will replace the rusted fork brace and they want the rusted part to research the cause

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Good to hear. Congrats LTR :thumbsup:
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
Evidently they are no good as a "rainmobile".
You're right and it Sucks. 1st bike I can't/won't take out anymore if the weather looks questionable.
You're right and it Sucks. 1st bike I can't/won't take out anymore if the weather looks questionable.
I rode mine through sleating rain a couple of months ago. Still looks new. I think you'll be alright. The only thing that truly sucks about bad weather with this bike is that with absolutely no protections whatsoever, you get soaked. Everywhere.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
Evidently they are no good as a "rainmobile".
You're right and it Sucks. 1st bike I can't/won't take out anymore if the weather looks questionable.
You're right and it Sucks. 1st bike I can't/won't take out anymore if the weather looks questionable.
I rode mine through sleating rain a couple of months ago. Still looks new. I think you'll be alright. The only thing that truly sucks about bad weather with this bike is that with absolutely no protections whatsoever, you get soaked. Everywhere.
How? It's already started on bikes, check out the pictures above.
I'm glad to say mine is under control and looking better. Since I have it for sale I'm taking no more rides in anything other then perfect weather. She's off the daily driver list forever, looks to good now to risk it.
 
Just to add, the rest of the bike is 100% as new. I will take the front fender off and check and paint to protect as its very hard to even get fingers underneath to clean.
I would have thought that Honda would have progressed in making chrome parts more durable but this is no better than the 70, s quality. Remember how long the exhaust used to last!.
I'm going to price up a new rear fender at the moment just used acf50. It's going to need a lot of tlc.
 
Looked my bike over very carefully, not a spot of rust/corrosion anywhere. I will admit, I do not ride if precipitation seems imminent. Not because I am babying the bike, but because I don't like riding in the rain. :D We don't get regular rain here, when we do get rain, the roads tend to be very slick.

My bike is my hobby, not my daily driver, although I will ride it any time the weather permits. The day will come when I am caught in the weather, perhaps on a road trip or something, so I am going to research protectants such as acf50 and utilize one. Someone said all purpose Pledge, does that really work?

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the rust reports are coming from either humid climates, or places where there is snow and therefore salt. I live in a low humidity climate, as do many others that report no rust/corrosion.
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Looked my bike over very carefully, not a spot of rust/corrosion anywhere. I will admit, I do not ride if precipitation seems imminent. Not because I am babying the bike, but because I don't like riding in the rain. :D We don't get regular rain here, when we do get rain, the roads tend to be very slick.

My bike is my hobby, not my daily driver, although I will ride it any time the weather permits. The day will come when I am caught in the weather, perhaps on a road trip or something, so I am going to research protectants such as acf50 and utilize one. Someone said all purpose Pledge, does that really work?

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the rust reports are coming from either humid climates, or places where there is snow and therefore salt. I live in a low humidity climate, as do many others that report no rust/corrosion.
Will keep you updated on the acf50 just treated the part in the pic, the bike was registered in Mar 2013 and stood for a while, I think someone must have used it and not cleaned it very well.
I'm like you, being retired I only ride for fun, I got the cb at a great price so not to upset.
davidsargee_imp said:
Looked my bike over very carefully, not a spot of rust/corrosion anywhere. I will admit, I do not ride if precipitation seems imminent. Not because I am babying the bike, but because I don't like riding in the rain. :D We don't get regular rain here, when we do get rain, the roads tend to be very slick.

My bike is my hobby, not my daily driver, although I will ride it any time the weather permits. The day will come when I am caught in the weather, perhaps on a road trip or something, so I am going to research protectants such as acf50 and utilize one. Someone said all purpose Pledge, does that really work?

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the rust reports are coming from either humid climates, or places where there is snow and therefore salt. I live in a low humidity climate, as do many others that report no rust/corrosion.
Will keep you updated on the acf50 just treated the part in the pic, the bike was registered in Mar 2013 and stood for a while, I think someone must have used it and not cleaned it very well.
I'm like you, being retired I only ride for fun, I got the cb at a great price so not to upset.
davidsargee_imp said:
Looked my bike over very carefully, not a spot of rust/corrosion anywhere. I will admit, I do not ride if precipitation seems imminent. Not because I am babying the bike, but because I don't like riding in the rain. :D We don't get regular rain here, when we do get rain, the roads tend to be very slick.

My bike is my hobby, not my daily driver, although I will ride it any time the weather permits. The day will come when I am caught in the weather, perhaps on a road trip or something, so I am going to research protectants such as acf50 and utilize one. Someone said all purpose Pledge, does that really work?

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the rust reports are coming from either humid climates, or places where there is snow and therefore salt. I live in a low humidity climate, as do many others that report no rust/corrosion.
Will keep you updated on the acf50 just treated the part in the pic, the bike was registered in Mar 2013 and stood for a while, I think someone must have used it and not cleaned it very well.
I'm like you, being retired I only ride for fun, I got the cb at a great price so not to upset.
davidsargee_imp said:
Looked my bike over very carefully, not a spot of rust/corrosion anywhere. I will admit, I do not ride if precipitation seems imminent. Not because I am babying the bike, but because I don't like riding in the rain. :D We don't get regular rain here, when we do get rain, the roads tend to be very slick.

My bike is my hobby, not my daily driver, although I will ride it any time the weather permits. The day will come when I am caught in the weather, perhaps on a road trip or something, so I am going to research protectants such as acf50 and utilize one. Someone said all purpose Pledge, does that really work?

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the rust reports are coming from either humid climates, or places where there is snow and therefore salt. I live in a low humidity climate, as do many others that report no rust/corrosion.
Will keep you updated on the acf50 just treated the part in the pic, the bike was registered in Mar 2013 and stood for a while, I think someone must have used it and not cleaned it very well.
I'm like you, being retired I only ride for fun, I got the cb at a great price so not to upset.
 
As it has been stated many times here, the way to avoid the so called problem is:

If you live in a humid or maritime climate, dont buy one or if you do dont ride it.

---Captain Obvious.
 
Back
Top