Rust on lower fork bracket

LiveToRide_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Bike's only 7 months old. Dealer says Honda usually takes care of issues like this with no problem. He took pictures to send to Honda and said I shouldn't see rust like this for at least 10 years. I'll let you know how Honda responds.
 
Picture? I am having a hard time envisioning where you are talking about.
 
Thread starter
Its in the front, sides and all the way around the fork tubes. I haven't sprayed it with anything. They are a vehicle and should hold up in the rain for several years at leasy

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
Its in the front, sides and all the way around the fork tubes. I haven't sprayed it with anything. They are a vehicle and should hold up in the rain for several years at leasy

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I'm sure that I speak for more than just myself when I ask to see pictures of the rust. Not that I'm doubting you at all... I would just like to know what exactly we're talking about here.
 
I have a few tiny specs forming on my forks where the travel area is (probably not good!) and quite a bit more above the bracket that attaches the forks to the triple tree.
In the travel area you have to look really closely to see it, from a couple feet away it looks good and clean.
Some but not all of the upper stuff came off with just a wet towel followed by a dry towel wipe down, but the smaller bits stayed.

I'm wondering if I should run to the dealer and see if they can take care of it under warranty or at least at a discount (then put some gaiters on the damn things!!).
I think it's small enough that it would take a long time to cause weeping of the fork seals (these things are much beefier than the ones on the bikes I've owned before) so if they tell me it's my problem and not theirs, then I will probably take extra care to keep it wiped down, let it go until it starts to eat at the seals, then get them resurfaced and put gaiters on.
 
If the specks are blisters in the chrome, there is a lack of adhesion and the plating is defective. If it is rust, the steel is pitted and will only get worse. The cheap plating is just a decorative flash of a few millionths of an inch thick to make it look bright. When corrosion starts at small spots in the plating, the steel underneath is actually sacrificial to the chrome. Just like zinc is sacrificial to steel and protects the steel that it is near, except the other way around......the steel gets eaten up instead of the plating.

so if you wait there is no resurfacing to be done. You'll be buying new tubes.

I'd take it in under warranty, unless it is some kind of road gunk that you can remove with an automotive type wax. Its not a bad idea to frequently clean and wax your fork tubes anyway.
 
It might be road gunk since some of the nastier stuff on the uppermost part came off super easy but some little bits of the same mess were still stuck. Maybe I will try that first and if it's still no good I'll see if warranty covers.
 
I wonder what modern bikes have the best track record for being robust against weather and road conditions. There were times when I had no other transportation and rode daily and parked outside all the time....but that was an old BSA that took to the weather pretty well. Ive been riding the Raider for 2 winters and its fine except for getting dirty. Not a good idea for the CB it seems.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
I wonder what modern bikes have the best track record for being robust against weather and road conditions. There were times when I had no other transportation and rode daily and parked outside all the time....but that was an old BSA that took to the weather pretty well. Ive been riding the Raider for 2 winters and its fine except for getting dirty. Not a good idea for the CB it seems.
I'm going BMW again for my year round/long haul rider....my last 2 showed no weathering over many years.

 
I have decided my attitude on this and I'm not going to worry about it. I never thought of the cb as only being a show bike and I wont live long enough for it to become a museum relic, held in pristine condition for years with 600 miles on it for the last 35 years for the sake of cosmetics..

I'm going to just ride it whenever and wherever I feel like it and I might spray that ACF-50 all over the place just for the fun of it. But if the chrome all goes to rust and the aluminum gets all fuzzy that's fine with me. In fact that would make it look more vintage. The resale value of these is pathetic anyway and getting less all the time, so I might as well get my use out of it, come what may. Mechanically it will still be unharmed and will still be a great ride.
 
I dropped by an authorized dealer and had a guy from the service center take a quick look at my forks, he said he thought it was OK for now because it was all a margin above the little line of dirt/gunk that shows the highest point above where the dust cover has recently touched (that line goes away and comes back when I occasionally wipe down with a microfiber cloth). He said if it starts to be a problem lower on the tube to bring it back and look into warranty coverage on it.

The guy there was pretty nice and helpful, I asked him some things about the valve check (like if he would recommend going to the workshop to learn to do it myself rather than paying the service center to do it) and he said it was a pretty good idea. Normally I figure you'd expect these guys to lean to the side of trying to sell you their work even if you don't need it, so for that they get a thumbs up in my book!
 
Ack,

Whats with the beak on those things? Is there a practical reason for it?
 
Back
Top